Attn: vitamin takers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobitis, May 9, 2012.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

What's yer choice and why?

I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle, and my eating habits are horrible. I'm wondering if vitamins might make a difference in my health.

Thanks for the input.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

Any multivitamin is said to give you expensive urine, as they contain much more than your body can absorb and use.

Nevertheless, I've been taking 'em for years. Men's formula from Centrum, One-A-Day, etc. You can get the gonzo bottles at Sam's or Costco. They sure can't hurt, and it helps me get enough of the essentials I might be missing during my normal routine of eating like a logger. I'm one of the healthiest people I know; I rarely even get a headache. I also take B12, which is a good metabolism booster for those of us who are past, er, uh, I mean just entering our prime. :)
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I take the Plus-50 once a day. They have all recommend vitamins and minerals.
    It may be my imagination, but I started feeling better six-eight weeks after starting them. I'm more alert, and spending 8-10 hours at a time, a couple or three days a week fishing, is no longer a hassle. It was.

Bottom line, I'm happy I take em.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

So is the B12 an additional pill?
  5. geds

geds New Member

My wife is a nutritionist. She has us on a regular Wal-Mart brand generic multivitamin, 500mg of calcium, a fish oil supplement, and me taking a low dose aspirin. She says taking more than that will not be absorbed by your system and will be excreted, so why spend the extra $. You are better off getting your nutrients from food, the supplements are just that.

You also have a better chance of absorption is you break the doses up multiple times rather than all at once.
  6. raven818

Aspirins ARE NOT fort everybody. I was taking one a day for years. I was " clinically dead " when the EMT's took me out of my house on a stretcher. I had bled to death in the " can ", and fell out in the floor.

Anybody thinking of going on an Aspirin regimen, needs to have their doctor run some tests first. They CAN kill you. They create bleeding ulcers in a lot of folks who don't have a clue what's happening to them.

Aspirins...Nyquil and Alka Seltzer are all Nsaids. Be safe. I didn't know any better.
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  8. raven818

I was taking an aspirin a day for the "heart". Alka seltzer once a day for the Florida-ever-present pollen, and a shot of nyquil at bedtime. All made sense, seemed like no big deal. Twas.
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

It was proven years ago by owners of porta pottys that most pill form vitamins do not absorb into your system when every time they cleaned out the toilets they found piles of in tact vitamins and they still do. Dont hate me, its a report I read a long time ago. So, the best way to get your vitamins is thru food source.
  11. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I take quite a few different supplements(or whatever the right term might be).
    I take Curcumin(the stuff in curry that may help prevent Alzheimer's and cancer), Krill oil, CoQ10, cranberry extract for the urinary system, B100, anasthaxansin(sp)---supposed to be about the strongest antioxidant around, and maybe a couple of others. I don't take a multivitamin and the only prescription med I take is a mild diuretic for my blood pressure. And I feel pretty good.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is a great thread Bob. here is my two cents.

I have been into health foods for most of my life. Yes, aspirin can be bad for some, but even those that take aspirin daily should only take one baby aspirin and no more. If you are taking aspirin and find your heartburn is worsening that is a good indication that they are not for you.

Vitamins IMO can be greatly over done. There is a fine line to not getting enough and having expensive urine. I take a liquid vitamin that IMO is the best,,, PERIOD. Why you ask, because for one your body absorbs it at a fast rate, and it absorbs it 100%. Two, when you take it and you see your urine is yellow, you can back off on the amount that you are taking.

Here is a pic of my vitamins and my fish oil. Both are the best that you can get. The fish oil tastes like lemon merainge pie, and if you go to their website you will see they have many flavors to choose from.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

Attached Files:

13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I try not to take any pills other than aspirin. I have been taking that for 40 years. I know it can be real bad for some people. I didn't go to a doctor for 20 years. Now I am on 5 pills a day. My wife is on 12. Sometimes I think they give you pills you don't need to make a buck...
  14. geds

geds New Member

Hooboy! I can see all that health food you've into....:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  15. raven818

Yeah, but they got ya by the short-hairs. Your between a rock and a hard place. Trust in ones doctor is paramount.
  16. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

so B12, fish oil, liquid multivitamins, SPAM and thin mint? sounds good to me. should make for a good breakfast. except for the spam part of course. can I substitute a couple breakfast burritos from McD's ?
  17. Juker

Juker New Member

Moderation in all things. Except for Krispy Kreme doughnuts, which are best eaten by the dozen. :D
  18. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

yes SPAM and no McD's. burger king.:D

I beg to differ. Go for the bakers dozen, you get one more.;)
  19. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I actually have my own brand; "Kingdom Naturals".

I started my own company 6-7 yrs ago after a life-threatening illness and buying vitamins & supplements "retail" became just too costly.

I actually take about 16-18 supplements a day. But, the only multi-vitamin I take is our own product called "Mighty-Multi".

-
  20. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I am a type 2 diabetic non insulin dependent. I have had some pretty high A1C readings in the past few years because of my lifestyle. I started to take chromium picolinate, Alpha Luporic acid and cinnamon along with my diabetes medicine which is glybuide/metformin. I also take mega red for the omega 3 it contains.
    Since I have added these supplements my A1C levels are very good in fact great normally coming in around 5.8 to 6.2 For those that dont know what A1C is. It is a cumulative count of your blood glucose levels for the previous 3 months.