ATV - Wear a Helmet!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnK3, Jul 2, 2007.

1. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Over the weekend, I took the family out to the deer lease for one of the club's work days. It's usually a big family day, as everybody takes their families out and we end up having a big cookout with lots of bbq, etc.

Jerrica and Katydid took my ATV out for a bit of a ride. Jerrica, 19, did not have a helmet on but Katydid had her horseback riding helmet on.

Thank God she did.

Jerrica was going a bit too fast and hit a rock or log in the road. (We're not sure exactly what she hit, but the front rims are dented.) She ended up flipping the ATV over on its side. Jerrica got bruised and scraped up while Katydid's helmet has a dent in the side that's an exact match for the bars used to make the racks on the front and back of the ATV. They walked about a mile back towards camp before a couple of other members of the club saw them. Jerrica, whose nose bleeds when the weather changes, was covered in blood. Katydid was asking "What happened?" about every five minutes.

When they got back to camp, Stephannie and I immediately took the two girls to St. Francis' emergency room in Columbus, GA. They took CT scans and x-rays of them both. Both girls are fine, but sore. By the time we got them out of the ER, Katydid had stopped asking the question and was starting to remember other activities from earlier in the day. This morning she remembered most of yesterday, just not the accident itself, though she remembers that it did happen.

Jerrica has sworn that she'll never get on an ATV without a helmet again and will go MUCH slower in the future. (She remembers going about 30-35 mph when the ATV flipped.) Katydid, on the other hand, has sworn she'll never get on an ATV behind Jerrica again. [grin]

If you have an ATV or motorcycle, please wear a helmet. If you have kids, make them wear helmets whenever they get on one.
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

At least they are both ok. Thats the good part.

mike
    gn
  3. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

That's good news that they are both okay John. Very good to hear, and thank you for posting this. It will open a lot of eyes.

As for helmets, I have 3; one for motorcycles, one for snowmobiles and one for ATVs, and never ride any distance without one on. I even feel kind of guilty when I ride out the road to my grandmother's house for dinner without a helmet, and that's only 500 yards.

One thing I'd like to add because I feel it important; once a helmet recieves even a moderate blow, consider it useless. This goes for almost any type of helmet used for motorized sports. Upon impact the shell absorbs impact by spreading the energy over the surface of the helmet and fractures in the process. You probably won't be able to see these cracks but they weaken the helmet to the point where it will not protect you the next time. Destroy it and replace it. I say destroy it so that no one will ever be tempted to use it again.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Extremely good advice, BH.

Glad they are alright, John. God bless all of you.
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

:eek: :eek: You've gone through every parents' worst nightmare: an injured child. I'm glad both girls are ok.
  6. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I rarely wear a helmet when ATV'ing. Your post has given me second thoughts.

Thanks.
  7. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Why do you think they call it a "Brain Bucket" ? :)
  8. Thunderhawk88

Thunderhawk88 New Member

Extremely good advice!

About ten years ago, a fellow I knew from church, was killed while riding his quad. He was a nice guy, a teacher at the local High School, and two of my kids had been in his classes. The shock was he wasn't going too fast, he wasn't on a hard trail, and he wasn't on unfamiliar ground. He was riding in his own back yard. He hit a dip in the ground, lost control of the quad, and landed on his head. He WAS NOT wearing a helmet. By the time Paramedics arrived he was already brain-dead.
    Never, never, NEVER ride without a helmet!!!!:(
  9. PaulHD883

PaulHD883 New Member

wow that's scarey. I'm glad they're ok. I've never wore a helmet on an atv either. makes me think twice.