1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

ATVs

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/17/02 7:42:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All ATVs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are so many things I'd like to spend money on to improve my house, truck, ect, but I am really thinking about buying an ATV within the next three or four months...I'd use it primarily for hunting and just checking out some old grown over roads near deer camp.
    I'd like to get some of you hunting types opinions on what to look for, and what to stear clear of.
    I've decided 4x4 is a must for hauling swine outa tha bottoms, and I thought I'd stay away from belt drive in case I felt the need to go through those creeks in order to rinse that ol' hog off .

Anything I'm missing?

outdoorsman260
    (7/17/02 10:36:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ATVs
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well Here are my opinions

I don't like Polaris. They make a ring ding ding ding sound and don't go slow enough for untility application

I've had personal expirence with the Grizzly and Big Bear from Yamaha. I like the Big Bear better. Again, the Grizzly doesn't go slow enough, and I don't like the automatic transmission on the.

I like the Big Bear. It goes almost as slow as I'd like, plus I'm very fond of being able to shift. It has push button 4WD/2WD, which is pretty much the standard in the utility world now a days. It makes that deep tug tug tug sound that doesn't carry near as well as the Polaris sound. You can get them in advantage camo, and my cousin's came set up for a winch attachment.

I've not had any experience with any of the other utility machines.
    My webpage

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/18/02 10:16:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: ATVs
    First word of caution -- Stay away from the chain and belt driven models!!! Too much can, and does, go wrong with the drive train on them.

I've got an older model ( 1998 ) shaft driven Yamaha Big Bear 350 that does anything I need it to do. I've used it with a small (4x8 foot) utility trailer to haul camp fire wood (oak) that was filled as full as I could get it, and ole "Lil Ruffitt" never skipped a beat while pulling it. I put a gun rack on it, and there is no place that it can't take me to or get me back from. I have even used it to reposition travel trailers at our camp site (not on the ball hitch, but with a wheel on the jack of the trailer tongue and a towing strap),

Second word of caution -- They are big time expensive if bought new so you may want to look at a good used one.

You'll find life much easier and more enjoyable around the ole deer camp with an ATV, and they are a lot of fun just to go joy riding on.

Regards

RuffItt

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/18/02 12:01:31 pm)
    Hey, Ruff -

Can that Big Bear make it from your camp to Cointoss'??

Might do a little road hunting on the way over!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/18/02 12:02:25 pm)
    bigger is not always better, to go through the woods a small 2WD machine is much more manuverable than a large 4WD model (4WD just gets you stuck in worse places)

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/18/02 12:16:55 pm)
    Sulphur River Bottom Report:

Polaris: 500 Sportsman 4x4, this is a monster in every way. Excellent power and high ground clearance. Automatic. Use it to pull a 14ft boat and motor thru the sloughs and black gumbo in the bottoms. It has been in the shop, more times that Joe Lewis was hit. When it works, no better...."works" is the key word here. Very hard to manuver on small trails.

Boots replaced (all) at least a dozen times.
    Front broken axle, and U-Joints both sides
    Rear broken axle, and U-Joints both sides
    Electrical Problems
    Noisey as hell, funky exhaust rattle

Suzuki: 500 Quad 4x4

Bad on plugs if you forget to shut off the choke, will not run worth a darn....then. Plug eaters from hell. Sound and tough though......could use more ground clearance. 6 years in service, plugs every trip. Great turning radius, medium quite

Yamaha: 250 Timberwolf 2x4

Once in the shop for a tune up and transmission rebuild, it is abused by everyone......still going and 8 years of service. Does everything, except deep mud. Excellent turning radius, semi-quite

Honda: 400/450 4x4, "Full Time" front tire eater from hell and could use more ground clearance. "Bullet Proof" it will drag itself over anything, regardless of ground clearance. No repairs at all. 6 years service. Medium turning radius, very quite

Artic Cat: 350 4x4. One tough machine, but only in service for a short time.....only flipped once. All others have at least two or more flips on them. Great turning radius. Semi-quite

We use them, probably harder than most and the river bottoms are tough on anything. All will be replaced with Honda`s in the next year or so. If your going to buy one, just buy the Honda, yeah, they cost a little more, but they don`t cost you down the road either.

Honda`s rule the east Texas river bottom`s, deep balling gumbo, deep sloughs, haulin porkers, wood, boats, trailers and motors. Downed tree climbing too. Lift kits available too.

Factory tires suck on all, replace them up front. Have them install "Stick/Stump Stoppers" before venturing into the bush, you won`t regret it. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/18/02 3:28:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: ATVs
    Polaris 4 stroke 4X4 is the best in my book. Polaris even makes a diesel but it is not very popular in the US. Most of the ring ding dingers (two strokes) are not really for the sportman, they are more for play.

I have had very bad luck with the Kawasakis they just do not hold up to hard work or play
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/18/02 9:00:25 pm)
    Alright guys, thanks.

Especially you LTS, thanks for taking the time to educate me on these machines...Sounds like you work these babies pretty hard, BTW The Sulphur river bottom is where we sometimes go to play, of course I always have to borrow a quad from someone else. We usually "put in" around Ladonia.

The ATV world seems to be give and take, I haven't found a bike yet that has everything (automatic, driveshaft, 2wd/4wd) I will certainly check into the Hondas.

That Honda 400...They call it the Rancher?

Rufft...I guess I'm just tired of hand me downs, I've never bought anything new (with the exception of this computer and a few guns) in my life...used cars, trucks, houses, ect. I'm ready for something new dang it! LOL...You are very right, being the reason I stated "There are so many things I'd like to spend money on to improve my house, truck, ect, "
    I could repour my driveway build a carport and do a heck of alot of closing in my garage for 5,500 bucks, but I suppose it's one step at a time...The ol' work truck may have to sit in the rain on a cracked up driveway for another year, but they'll be a dang good looking 4 wheeler parked in the garage next to the reloading bench. LOL!

If that aint bass ackwards.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/18/02 9:50:26 pm)
    The new Honda`s have selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive. The motor has a lower center of gavity, making it ride better and safer. Just look at one that serves your needs best, as stated above......bigger is not always better. The Honda`s not as fast as the others, but has great low speed torque and power. Don`t expect to save a lot on a used one, unless it`s a older model. One or two year old models used very little bring only a few hundred dollars less than a new one. The Dallas Times Herald has bunchs listed (used), all the time. Now is the time to buy, don`t wait till hunting season. LTS

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/18/02 11:27:42 pm)
    Started with a Yammahammer and run it into the ground in a two year period.

Got a Polaris 4X4 350 twostroke in 93, then sold it and bought a 95 Polaris 4X4 425 four stroke and have changed the oil in it regularly, and it will pull he!! off the cross.

Only reason I would trade it is to get the Polaris 700! I've had my Polaris in major water and never had a belt slip.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/02 5:34:40 am)
    Shooter, how many hours would you say you have on your Polaris?
    LTS, I did look at the Kodiac over in Paris, but it was belt dirive...I have almost sworn these off, I'm not dead set, but I want to have fun, not problems.

Are there any 2wd/4wd Hondas with the driveshaft?

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/02 6:18:24 am)
    I think all new Hondas are shaft drive

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/19/02 4:44:25 pm)
    Gosh, Crpdeth, I got a boatload of hours on it. I can't even give a good estimate. I am in a wheelchair and I use it to go everywhere. I have had it in some of the muckiest river bottoms here in Missouri. I have pushed snow for a profit every winter. I have used it to push gravel for a radio station at their tower. We haul wood with it.

For the most part, if a belt slips on a Polaris, it is because the screws on the belt covers are not tight. The only thing my Polaris does not have that they have improved is the engine braking while going down hill. In my opinion, Polaris is just as capable a machine as any on the market. I trust it enough, I go out on my own deer hunting, and know that my machine will get me back.

besides, Polaris is the only truely "American" machine of the major 5, Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasawki. I don't consider Artic Cat or Bombadier(sp) as viable machines.

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/02 6:14:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Yamaha...
    Bought it new in 1987 and can't even guess how many miles it has on it now...Have never done anything to it regarding repair, only an oil change every once in a while...I would have bought a Honda, but at that time they didn't have a shaft drive in this size...200 DX

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/19/02 8:48:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Yamaha...
    All Honda`s have had shaft drive for some time now, we don`t deal in the chain drive sand burners. One of the guys above us has 28K on his in 3 years......two sets of front tires, thats it.

Our 500 Sportsman 4x4 has never slipped the belt once and we live in water, have a picture...can`t post it cause I`m too dumb. It just can`t take the gumbo and the tuff riverbottom terrain. Always breaking something. I venture to say....we have paid for it, at least twice.....not counting tires. LTS

The LawII
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/19/02 9:02:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del LTS...
    Don't tell anyone but, I work for Honda...Marysville,Ohio...anything you want to know let me know...

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/19/02 11:17:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: LTS...
    My 2 cents, depends on what you want to use them for and since any of em are a pain to get unstuck, try and have one that you can at least pick up one end. Even if you have a wench, make sure that you can at least have one light enough that you can push or pry cause most of the time nothing is around to hook on to in the middle of the swamp. That all said, I do own a Polaris 500 4x4, no problems since I have owned it, but I really don't use it too much either.
    cointoss2

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/20/02 8:25:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: LTS...
    guys, I never expected this to be a hot topic...thanks for all the responses they've all been helpfull.

LTS, I cannot locate a Honda with 2wd/4wd perhaps I'm overlooking it, but not for lack of tring...Can you give me the name of it?

hotload
    (7/20/02 8:46:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ATV'S
    Howdy CRP,

Don't think I've ever talked to you gefore, but this is one subject that I might be able to help you with. I do alot of hog hunting here in GA, and my 4-wheeler is almost as important as my rifle. I own a yamaha grizzly, and it has power to burn. I realy like it and I use it alot in the pasture at the house. It is a very handy piece of equipment. I have always liked yamaha ATV's, but personal preference plays a big part . My advise to you is to look at them all before you buy. If you do think you like the yamahas, I have one pointer for you. I have had mine in some places that were very tight for the grizzly. The Kodiak is a 400 model that is a little smaller in body size and still has plenty of power. And it is still automatic. I really like the yamaha automatics because they hold back very well when you let off the throttle, unlike some of the others. hotload

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/02 8:42:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ATV'S
    Hotload, I'm Donny...Good to meet you.

I liked what I saw in the Kodiac, everything but the drive system, its affordable, good looking, 2wd/4wd automatic...I guess I'm realizing that this belt drive is like a ford, some hate em, and some love em, simply because of personal experience.
    Personal experience is something I have none of in this area.
    If I thought mine would be trouble free forever, I would go ahead and buy the Kodiac at a good price this time of year.
    LTS said Honda makes a 2wd/4wd with a shaft drive...this sounds like something I'd be interested in simply because I dont want problems with it at 20* outside, while tring to haul a pig out of the bottoms in 2' of water by myself or something. But then it will probabally be a huge machine that I cant utilize anymore than I can afford.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/21/02 9:52:36 am)
    Donny, my mistake. Honda`s are all fulltime 4x4. I confused the new electronic shift. They are all shaft drive though, the ones your looking for anyway. I should have been more clear on tire wear. Where we are on the sulphur river, we have to travel on white rock roads, back and forth to the trails and to some of the old mud pits (fishing holes) from oil drilling days. If you use your`s in the bottoms and not on paved or rocked roads, you should have no problems with tire wear (front). We average about 50 plus miles a day on each and I doubt, most who use them put this kind of mileage on one. Sometimes more, if night fishing or road hunting (varmits). Take a real hard look at the Honda "Foreman." LTS

Page 1 2 3 4
    Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/21/02 1:05:58 pm)
    LTS

Well, at least I can get it off my mind, I'm either going to have to compromise drivetrain or selectable drive.
    I think two wheel drive would be so much more fun when it was time to play, cutting doughnuts, acting stupid...then there are those inevitable narrow trails to have to turn around on.

I had heard that Warn was comming out with something for Honda that would disenguage the front wheels on the full time 4x4s making them 2wd...Any knowledge about this?

*edit*
    Ahhh here it is...maybe to answer to everything www.warn.com/warn.nsf/pages/ATVProducts.424Select.Main.html

Edited by: Crpdeth at: 7/21/02 2:25:10 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/21/02 1:46:37 pm)
    Donny, I would never mess with the drive line.....even with name brand products. One reason the Honda`s don`t break, is from listening to users. You make it one way and make it well. You might just look at 2wheel drive only. They can go thru most anything....cept the worst of suff. Smaller machines, loose their power fast...causing you to be stuck. Larger ones (2WD) will power thru some pretty tough terrain and sometimes get thru more when the 4x4 buries up. 95% of where we go, a 2WD would do the job.....it`s that 5% we need. That is for when the river is up and we are hauling a boat in deep mud, slough beds, tight turns and hills. The terrain you go to, should dictate which you really need. The little 2WD Yamaha 250 Timberwolf we use, will almost go anywhere the big ones will......it does get stuck sometimes, but that is from lack of power in almost all case`s. LTS

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/23/02 8:49:32 am)
    First I'd say the Polaris is extremely dangerous. With 11" of ground clearance (and that easy ride) they tip over for the slightest reason. I've known several, and they have all been rolled several times, with really bad results.

Second, I live 4 miles from town with all farmers and loggers living in between. They own 15 4-wheelers in all and 14 are Hondas. ( one guy owns a second one, a kawasaki for the paved road). Now these are guys who hunt, fish, camp, log and ranch so 14 out of 15 tells you something. I have two Honda 300's with which I skid logs year around and pull a few elk out of the woods. Since they will spin all 4 wheels under all conditions, they have more power than anyone can use.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/23/02 7:12:38 pm)
    Well, you fellas have convinced me, I'll stick with Honda...LTS, I've thought alot about your post (2wd) and I just cant go that route, I'm getting too old w/too many broke bones to be blasting through anything, and that just isan't my way...Guess I'll have to get used to using the reverse on those wide turns, but then thats what it's there for right?
    I remember one time down in the Sulphur River, it was semi dry, (summer before last) we were exploring a few of the little side creeks that feed into the Sulphur, my brother had a little powerhouse of a 2wd, and he goes across a wet, stone, depression the only way he could, diagonal, he starts sliding and has to gun that baby wide open to cross, then Troy follows behind him, the only sound his Honda 4x4 makes above the puttering of the engine is the tires splashing down into the water one at a time, splush, splush, splush, splush...Remembering that coupled with what you guys have confirmed, makes my mind up for me....Plus, me and Troy gonna look goooood with those green Hondas putting out to deer camp together.

Edited by: Crpdeth at: 7/23/02 8:41:56 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/23/02 8:13:48 pm)
    Kain`t go wrong with a Honda....... LTS

cpahunter
    (7/26/02 2:02:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del RE: ATV
    LTS,

Good to hear someone else rolls the atv and lives. Also, good to hear you have only rolled the artic cat once. I guess that means that since I have rolled mine once now, I don't EVER have to worry about it again. lol

I better shut up, hotload and I are supposed to go on a trail ride next week with some friends.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/27/02 3:41:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del he he
    Hunter
    I know where you are comming from, Around nine years ago I had a three wheeler (Big Red) I got rid of it after rolling it three times, I tipped it several times, but the three rolls were fairly major, but I was young and drank my share of gargle bubbles...I've slowed down quite a bit since then, and gained a respect for things heaver that I am.
    Ya'll be carefull out in this heat.

Donny

unknown
    (8/10/02 8:00:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ATV sites
    Honda is now making the Foremans with a 2wd/4wd selectable switch.

ATV discussion boards:
    www.ATVFrontier.com mostly out of Alaska
    www.HighLifter.com out of Louisiana, they also sell alot of aftermarket parts.
    www.ATVNation.com
    www.ATVTime.com

ViperGuy101
    (8/10/02 8:00:47 pm)
    You guys really are d******** when it comes to ATV's aren't you. Polarises can go as slow as you want them to go, they have an auto. tranny Honda only has one ATV with a shaft drive right now, and it's the 250ex. How could 4x4 get you stuck worse than 2x4??? Polarises are acctually very quiet. You can also get almost any quad in Camo, not just Big Bears. I've never had a problem with any of my chain/belt driven quads, any problem that I've ever seen could be easily fixed, unlike a quad with a shaft drive. WTF would anyone ride around with the choke on I also hope none of you carry wenches around on your camping trips, it's kinda trampy, the only thing I have on the front of my quad is a winch. Hondas are also not all fulltime 4x4, this year they just changed to selectable 4x4. I've only ever seen one Polaris tip and it was all driver error (reverse in overdrive while weeving). Now to help the guy that wants a quad out. Get any quad out there that fits you!!! It makes absolutly no difference if it has a shaft or a chain/belt. The belts don't really slip. Also, don't get a Yamaha, total waist of money and they have horrible customer support. Check out this Yamaha lovers and haters. http://pub88.ezboard.com/fteamdunesallterrainvehicle52458frm20.showMessage?topicID=387.topic Oh and most of you should be ashamed of giving this man this advice, don't give advice on somthing you know nothing about. You're pathetic.
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."
    Speed Kills, Drive a Chevy and Live Forever

Edited by: kdub01 at: 8/10/02 11:00:55 pm

unknown
    (8/10/02 8:15:38 pm)
    The pot calling the kettle black Mr. Viper.....??? I have a Honda Rancher and it has a shaft drive, the Foremans have a shaft drive, the Honda Rubicon, guess what? It has a shaft drive also.

I have friends that will ride nothing but Yamaha because they make a good machine. It all comes down to dealer support. I don't think anyone is making a bad product but anyone can make a lemon every now and then.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/10/02 8:25:35 pm)
    101, sounds like you have ATV 101 for schooling. Welcome anyway. LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/10/02 10:05:13 pm)
    Unknown and ViperGuy101 -

Welcome to the Forum. We hope you enjoy your stay and also hope you will join in the many discussions on the board.

A word of caution - no flamming or trashing! I've edited your post, ViperGuy, to eliminate the baiting language. Please do disagree if you must, but do it in a civil manner.

Thank you.

Kdub - Moderator
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

ViperGuy101
    (8/10/02 10:57:28 pm)
    Well since that problem with the Raptor was not caused by rider error, Yamaha would not pay a cent for it to be replaced. That is not at all a dealer thing. As for the "lemon" every once in awhile, here are my Yamaha experiences:
    Shock snaps while driving on a very nonrough gravel road going 60 on a Warrior
    Swing arm bolt comes loose while driving down a grass field, Warrior again, but a different one
    Warior with shock problem ***** itself while driving down the road
    Wolverine ***** up in water not near to the exhaust or airbox
    Raptor axel snaps while turning going 10mph
    Raptor piston rod snaps and goes through the engine case
    TT-R 125L oil cap melts and shoots hot oil all over riders leg
    Of all of these Yamaha never did anything, all of them have happened to other people that I've talked to on boards. As for the shafts on Hondas, then someone else is also wrong by saying that they haven't had any in a long time. Where was my "Baiting" Language??? Just because people give bad advice???

I edited out the profanity. Keep it civil and clean
    warpig
    "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ...Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car."
    Speed Kills, Drive a Chevy and Live Forever

Edited by: warpig883 at: 8/11/02 1:29:49 am

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/11/02 12:12:32 am)
    101, take a pill.....were not discussing sand burners. We`re discussing hunting and working rigs. I don`t see any bad advice. LTS

mudboggenmonkey
    (8/11/02 12:44:22 am)
    If you are looking to buy a quad it all comes down to personal preference and the biggest factor of all, the dealer. Make sure above all that the dealer is going to treat you well after the sale.

I personally ride a 01 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4. For me it has been a good bullet proof quad and did it all for a price that cant be beat by any other quad in its class and even some of the 300 class quads cost more. The rest of the Yamaha line seems to be built well with the exception of some first year problems with the Grizzly 660 that Yamaha has failed to address as of yet.

If you want my advice don't buy a Honda. They are good quads but when you look at there features as compared to other quads in there class and start to compare prices they just don't stack up very well. The biggest thing that I dislike about them though is the fact that the have drum breaks all the way around, except for the Rincon which has a rear disc, which need allot more maintance than disc breaks.

The Polaris quads used to have a bad rap on the reliability issue but that seems to have been pretty much solved in recent years. They are however a bit on the heavy side.

Arctic Cat quads seem to be geared more to the work side of the spectrum but have proven to be very reliable. Also a bit on the heavy side.

Suzuki quads are good quads and I have never heard much complaints from any of there owners on the reliability. All in all they seem to be pretty good.

Bombardier (spelling) has been making quads for a few years now but is starting to gain allot of respect in the ATV world. Their quads from all that I have heard are very reliable and most of the owners seam to be pretty pleased with their purchase.

Also as someone else mentioned the stock tires are at best a poor excuse for a tire. Most are 2 ply rated at best and tend to puncture very easy. They also tend to get you stuck more often than many of the more aggressive aftermarket tires. I run 26 inch titan 589's on my big bear and they have proven to be a great tire for me.

If you have any more questions feel free to visit me at ATV Frontier Forum or just click on the link in my sig and then click the forums tab.

I also frequent www.atvnation.com as do allot of other knowledgeable people.

Mudboggenmonkey
    ATV Frontier Admin and proud member of ATV Nation.

If ya can't be good be good at it!
    S.W.O.R.D.S. ATV Club
    ATV Frontier
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear 4X4

Edited by: mudboggenmonkey at: 8/11/02 1:52:15 am

unknown
    (8/11/02 1:44:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del ATVs
    Mr. Viper, secondhand information will eat your lunch everytime, try experiencing life for yourself.

BigRed450
    (8/11/02 6:56:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del ATVs
    Hello All
    I am an ATV fanatic and own and use daily a 2000 Honda 450 with a diff lock and 27" Blackwater tires. I see many misconceptions here regarding the different machines and their manufacturers. So, my suggestion is this, to any who are interested in buying an ATV. BE AN INFORMED BUYER! Visit the ATV discussion boards and learn the intricasies of each machine and manufacturer. Buy a machine that suits your purposes and remember as well that there are a wealth of aftermarket parts available to further enhance your ATV to best do the job you require it to do........

ATV Zone

ViperGuy101
    (8/11/02 11:14:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del OMG
    I saw tons of bad advice, basically everything in that first post that I wrote. All those things were exprienced first hand, I was there when all of it happened. Why not Honda??? Honda has the best customer support. Hell they fixed my dirt bike for free even though it was "diver error". I was drag racing and power shifting, and the clutch went out and HONDA not the dealer paid for it. None of the quads I talked about are "sand burners". Sand burners are set up for sand. eg-sand tires, and longer swing arm. The drum brakes need more maintenance, but they when water gets all over them they still work just as well, and they don't get rocks in them to cause problems. Polaris and AC quads are very reliable these days, the same with Bombardier. Try visiting these message boards if you really want to learn about ATVs .
    www.teamdunesatv.com-not just for dunners, every one is welcome and they have some very very noligible people.
    www.atvtime.com
    www.atvnation.com
    www.exriders.com
    www.bluetraxx.com
    www.atvfrontier.com

edited out name calling and profanity
    last chance
    warpig

Edited by: warpig883 at: 8/11/02 1:40:56 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/11/02 11:32:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OMG
    101, the only ass here is you. The "Raptor" is not designed for the use we are discussing and if you were even remotely reading, you would know that. Maybe it is you who should do the research and quit showing us just how far offbase you are. Probably won`t happen, though.....just keep showing it, cause we`re seeing it. LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/11/02 11:41:07 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OMG
    You know, fellers -

I'm as dumb as a rock when it comes to ATV's. Rode on a couple and can see where they would be fun to use. My experience was on a working cattle ranch where they were used to haul feed, salt blocks, check water wells and stock tanks and shuttle supplies while branding.

The Honda got high marks and the Polaris was sorta cranky. Don't know what models or mfr year.

Watching the comments, I've gained a great deal of insight and it appears all of the newer models of each brand seem to have equal consideration.

All things considered, if in the market for one, the Honda looks like the winner!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Page 1 2 3 4
    Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/15/02 7:02:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Still a little lost...
    I've gained alot of insight since I started this topic, done alot of research other places, but the fact remains that while Honda has come out with a quad with selectable drive, it is a huge 6,300 to 7,000 dollar monster that comes in either bright yellow or red...Not my idea of hunting colors.

Now, if they have a "lesser" machine on the market, I have yet to find it despite all my probing.

Guys, as far as our pugnacious columnist goes...I've found that they always flare up quick, and burn out even more so.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/15/02 7:41:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Still a little lost...
    Donnie, you will find the Honda in the 400-450 class 4x4 will fill all of your needs and then some. Having full time 4x4 is not as bad as you think......if you really feel the need for it. There are over thirty down in our area of the river and probably thirty more brought in from Oklahoma and Lousiana.....over 95% are honda`s. Honda Foreman`s to be exact. These are hog hunters, they haul dogs, trailers for hog pickup and hogs. These are not used as recreational, have fun toys......they are worked to the bone and receive little standard maintenance, some....if any. Why??? Because they are in the bottoms running. Just remember this, all the warranty and kissy face service claims mean nothing if your broken down in the Sulphur River Bottoms and since you and I frequent and know what this place offers......it is no picnic for any of the road machine.....V8 power or otherwise.

Now we all know (well us anyway) no 4wheeler travels with a single rider....I don`tgive a rats-ass what people say. These rigs down here carry two riders, trailers and a couple of three large class hogs.....they are overloaded to the gills.....usally the weight that two ATV`s should carry. The Honda`s have proved themselves.....as we have watched every style there is, that comes down to the river bottoms and since 1994, each one has been replaced by Honda. Now understand....we do not own one single Honda.... NOT ONE!! sodon`t see this as a sales job on you. I am simply relating our watched and learned experience from eight years of rugged use and in the next few years, all of ours will be replaced with Honda`s. It may not look as classy as some others and some of the mechanic`s seem antique compared to others, but they work and they stay running with nearly zero down time.

Remember this, order a complete mechanic`s shop manual for anything you buy. Then order your own parts. These are not hard to work on......though they would like you to think so. LTS

unknown
    (8/16/02 9:52:32 am)
    Crpdeth, I have a '00 Rancher that is olive in color. I had thought that all utility Hondas were available in that color also. You might want to consider the Rancher, for a 350 it is a tough little machine and does everything I ask of it. And I'm not a small guy, 6 feet, 220 pounds. It is full time 4x4 but the steering doesn't seem too stiff.

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/16/02 12:42:34 pm)
    Pay attention to LTS. I've practically lived on a Honda 300 for the last 10 years, skidding logs, wood, hauling elk and deer out of the woods, pulling a trailer, spraying weeds. I own two and they do everything I could want, including staying right-side up. I can spin all four wheels with any weight and any conditions so I couldn't use more power or bigger engine if I had it. One of mine is "green", sort of army color. I could tell you some stories about Polaris that I saw with my own eyes. Just listen to Likestoshoot and you won't go wrong.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/16/02 6:05:21 pm)
    If Oldguide says it - better pay attention, ya' young whippersnappers!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/16/02 6:14:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del BTW...
    The latest sales show the Honda Rincon 650 sold out until march....Manufacturing is being asked to go into overtime to supply...demand! This thing is solid and a brute!....

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/18/02 9:19:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: BTW...
    Donnie, you might also look at the Honda Rancher, two or so models....manual shift and electronic. These are in the 300-350 class and tough too. Like "oldguide" says. I like the lightest I can get away with down in the bottoms, bigger ain`t always better down there. You can also try here for pricing "dealer cost"

www.cyclecost.com/hon_atv.htm

270abolt
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/18/02 11:13:56 am)
    Lts thats exactly why I love my 4x4 300 honda...........
    strong yet light...................

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/19/02 6:10:25 pm)
    Great idea, and since I was/am toying with the idea of buying the wife a little sports car instead....Maybe with the cheaper quad, I can do both.

Abolt: would your Honda 300 fit in the back of a -cab and 1/2 Dodge PU, with a tool box?

Edited by: Crpdeth at: 8/19/02 7:12:30 pm

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/25/02 8:36:45 am)
    Whew, I went and looked @ some used hondas this weekend just for the fun of it, and these babies wern't even an option in my opinion...one was only five years old and looked liked they had used it for a battering ram, the plastic was cracked from abuse and just sitting in the weather, the hand brake/reverse shift was about to fall off of it, tires were gone....Well used to say the least, but the fella wouldnt budge off of 2,500

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/25/02 10:35:17 am)
    Look on eBay a lot of the folks around here have gotten good deals there on used ones. LTS

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/29/02 4:53:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    WoooHoooo!
    It's been a long time comming, but I finally purchased a brand new Honda 450 w/traxlox.
    It is green despite my inability to find one of it's color on the internet awhile back.

LTS: This baby is 2wd with on demand 4wd...The salesman managed to get it for me @ 150 bucks over the list price of their 2002's... And get this, he tossed in an aluminum ramp.

My brother and I took it out to our prospective lease and we went out to the back of the property which butts up against the White Oak River... with the whether we've been having it was rather mushy, but even with him on the back of the quad, we never took it out of 2wd and never spun a tire.

Thanks to all of ya'll for the reviews...time consuming posts made to direct me in the right direction. I love my quad, I cant stop going out in the garage and looking at it.

~Donny
    ~"And every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/1/02 4:29:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: WoooHoooo!
    Congrats Donny, I have the same one, 450 Traxlox olive green.
    You'll never have any problem with it. Like LTS says ..get rid of the stock 2 ply tires.

Big R
    (12/9/02 12:55:42 am)
    Just to put my two cents worth in I would recommend the Polaris 700, I bought one in August and have had no problems, we run in mud sand and canals. Its the same size as the 500 but faster stonger and quieter (due to twin cylinders). No maintenance problems to speak of, it is heavy and any hunting ATV needs a winch. I have ridden with Yamaha and Honda four wheel drives on stock tires, and they will not pull with the polaris. If they get 1 front wheel off the ground it spins and the other one sits still, on the Polaris the front axle is locked when its engaged and with one wheel in the air the one on the groung is still spinning.

OK OK so that was a buck fifty not two cents.

.22 or 7mm Rem Mag, it doesn't matter. As long as I'm shooting I'm Happy

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/9/02 4:27:36 pm)
    BIg R, If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the 700? I have a 425 magnum and am looking at trading for the 700.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/9/02 6:45:24 pm)
    THUD!!!

GET A HONDA Shooter22, yer gonna get whomped.......

LTS

Big R
    (12/9/02 9:54:04 pm)
    shooter22 I caught them at the end of the 2002 model year, brand new with front and rear bumper and warn winch for $6700.

By the way LIKETOSHOOT, had a buddy of mine with a Honda 400 on super swamper vampire tires go riding with us, had to pull him out twice, next day he traded it in on a polaris 700

Dont get me wrong Honda makes a great machine but I think the Polaris is better overall, it doesn't hurt that my dealer is good as gold and really stands behind it.

106RR196LIB
    (12/16/02 4:33:06 am)
    I have less experience than many with ATVs -- I rode a Honda up in Idaho County, Idaho and I liked it. The people who ride ATVs all the time seem to vote for Honda. ATV's are road legal in Idaho county. Everyone I talked to in Idaho complained about Polaris reliability. The Bitterroot mountains are absolutely unforgiving so Honda reliability is king.
    I also piloted an Arctic Cat 300 up the Rubicon Trail. It's in the Sierras near Lake Tahoe, CA. These were great Quads. They have an unusual tranny but it works well. All the AC's I saw were reliable. The 4 wheel independent suspension is ideal for an all day ride on the broken granite of the Sierra. The AC doesn't have the quality feel of the Honda.
    Mike

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/16/02 6:09:02 pm)
    I swear, I must be the only person to have good luck with my Polaris'. I have owned two, and wish I could own the new 700. The only reason I sold my first was to get bigger. I also sold my first for $500 less than I paid new. Polaris resale is very good. Only problem is finding people willing to get rid of their machines. I like the things that Honda is doing, but I trust my life on a Polaris. Being handicapped, I can't get off my machine if things get sticky, I got to go through. A true atv rider knows the limits of his machine. A persons happiness with a certain brand is mainly due to his confidence with what he is riding. I am a confident Polaris rider.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/16/02 9:47:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: ATV'S
    Hi Mike!

Glad to see you at TFF, long time no speak!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Page 1 2 3 4
    Big R
    (12/17/02 11:09:58 pm)
    That's me shooter22, where we ride we started out with approx. 2 Polaris', 4 Yamaha's, and 2 Hondas'. Now we're up to 6 Polaris' and 2 Yamaha's.
    Don't get me wrong the Honda's are good, they have one of the best small engines in the world, but overall I like the Polaris better.