The Firearms Forum banner

aunt gladys's gun

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  armedandsafe 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am new to the forum and new to hunting. This year I have started waterfowl hunting and I wanted to take my son. I remembered a childhood gun that was kept at our farm and went to see if it would be right for my 12 year old boy. The gun is a , lengerke & Detmold 20 gauge knock about gun. It is marked, Francotte on the flat of the barrel and two of the numbers from the barrel are8983 and 74721. It is in good shape and just the right size for a 12 year old boy. My question is... how old is it, and is it safe to shoot? I would appreciate any insight any of you might have.
Thanks,
Paul

#2 ·
Paul,

If the serial number on the shotgun is 74721, then it is a 20 gauge gun made by Auguste Francotte in Belgium for Von Lengerke & Detmold. The gun was placed in the VL&D inventory late in 1912 so the manufacture date is likely earlier that same year. In 1913 it was sold to another retail sporting goods store, located in PA. Further record of disposition is not available. As you know, the model is the KnockAbout. This was the utility grade model that was first produced by Francotte for VL&D in 1904. Bob Christensen wrote an excellent article on VL&D in the March-April 2004 issue of Hunting & Fishing Collectibles Magazine, still available online from the publisher. VL&D was sold to Abercrombie & Fitch in 1929 and A&F continued to import the Francotte Knockabout until the late 1950's.

Your second question, "Is it safe to shoot?" is more problematic. It is almost 100 years old. Only an experienced gunsmith with gun in hand can evaluate its safety. That being said the early Francottes were well made and many are still in use today. Should it be determined that it is safe to shoot, please use only very light loads with it. They will be kinder to the old gun and the young son.

Compliments of Griffin & Howe, Inc

Bob Beach
Records Archivist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.