Aussie wins Nobel prize , a real one, not a obozo one

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and islamic bloggers are already complaining ... poor misunderstood uneducated lowlives they are ;)

FOR the first time since 1915, an Australian has taken home the Nobel Prize for Physics.

Astrophysicist Brian Schmidt last night became only the 12th Australian to win a Nobel prize, recognised for his ground-breaking research on supernovae and the expansion of the universe.

The Nobel jury announced that Professor Schmidt, 44, had won this year's physics prize alongside fellow astrophysicists Saul Perlmutter and Adam Riess of the US.

"I'm in shock," Professor Schmidt said after he heard last night he would split half of the $1.5 million award for physics.

The US-born Australian citizen will share the prize with his long-time friend and collaborator Professor Riess, an astrophysicist at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and the Space Telescope Science Institute.

The other half of the prize goes to Professor Perlmutter, an astrophysicist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the University of California, Berkeley.

While they worked on two separate teams, all three were honoured for using data from exploding stars called supernovae to discover the accelerating rate of the expansion of the universe - including the probable end of the universe in ice - and the importance of so-called dark energy.

The Nobel jury said the trio's discoveries had changed humanity's understanding of the universe. "In 1998, cosmology was shaken at its foundations, as two research teams presented their findings," the jury said.

Australians have now won 12 Nobels, all but one for science and medicine, with the exception being Patrick White's literature award in 1973. Professor Schmidt is the first Australian winner since 2009, when molecular biologist Elizabeth Blackburn was named the Nobel laureate for physiology or medicine.

The first Australians to win a Nobel prize were William Bragg and his son, Lawrence, who were jointly awarded the prize in physics in 1915 for their analysis of crystal structures using X-rays.

Professor Schmidt, of the Australian National University and Mount Stromlo Observatory, told Swedish public broadcaster SVT last night he was "weak in the knees, really excited, and somewhat . . . amazed".

He later said it might not have happened if he hadn't met his Australian wife at Harvard and moved here 17 years ago.

"Being in Australia was probably absolutely essential for being part of this," he said. "I came here at the age of 27 and was (given the resources) to run an international team. And you know that's a uniquely Australian thing."

He described Mount Stromlo as "one of the great astronomical institutions in the world".

The future laureate completed high school in Alaska, and then went to the University of Arizona in Tucson to begin his career in cosmology and astrophysics.

He did graduate work at Harvard University and then, with his new wife, moved to Australia where he is currently at the Australian National University's Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics.

''Adam Riess and I were working very closely at the time, trying to figure out this crazy result,'' he recalled of the moment more than a decade ago when they realised that, according to their findings, the cosmos was accelerating toward disconnected nothingness.

''It seemed too crazy to be right. We were a little scared.''

While not undertaking astronomy, Schmidt lives with his family on a 35-hectare farm just outside of Canberra, where he maintains a vineyard and winery, he wrote in an autobiography for another award, the Shaw Prize.

ANU vice-chancellor Ian Young said he was overjoyed. "He has shown that what we see in the skies is but a tiny fraction of what is really out there. Brian reminds us of the infinite mysteries yet to be understood."

The two research teams found more than 50 distant supernovae whose light was weaker than expected. This was proof that the expansion of the universe was accelerating.

Albert Einstein had reached the same conclusion in 1917 but thought it must be wrong, calling it his "greatest blunder". So how does Professor Schmidt feel to prove Einstein both right and wrong? "It feels pretty good," he told The Australian. " I'm not sure what old Albert would think but he'd be scratching his head for sure."
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

The expansion of the universe is accelerating..... in some cases, faster than the speed of light..... but since matter cannot move in space faster than the speed of light, it's not the matter that's accelerating, it's the actual space..... and it's all because of something called "dark matter"....?

Those guys must be a heck of a lot smarter than me..... either that or it's all hooey, in which case they're a lot smarter than the Nobel committee.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I vote that they are a lot smarter than the Nobel committee.
    Remember, those are the folks that gave a prize to Obozo - -

Congratulations, Jack!
    Your country deserves this and more!

Fair dinkum, eh?
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

oooh lets see ...give the prize to some people who worked hard for years...or..... to some people who typed some crap on their computers...... hard decision
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Terry if you read the article its a joint prize , USA and Oz share it ( we got big open spaces for the testing and the idea's , your folks had the hardware and know how to run it, and its shown it to be correct ,

and yeah the fact that arabs are bitching and saying they should get a nobel for blog's heck. do i get a nobel too ? i mean my old blog was shut down after all the flak we copped for it but the government did by the line it is a part of history and was archived by the national archives here ( worlds first for a blog!) so can i have a nobel too ?

heck a case of crown lager would do! i'm not picky or greedy