Austen & Halleck

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Paul Jenkins, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins New Member

Gentlemen,
    I just bought an A& H flintlock. It has a 1 in 28" twist. Do any have a bullet recommendation?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Any of the sabots or conicals should work just fine, Round balls might be a bit iffy, with that fast twist.

Any individual rifle will like one weight/shape conical better than any of the others. You will have to play with this until you find the one it likes best. This means you will have to take it out and shoot it often. Yeah, it's a tough job, but you just have to hitch it up and go do it. :D

Pops
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Like Pops said, that fast a twist is probably more suited to conicals, and is probably meant for sabots.

Most barrels that are a compromise for conicals and roundballs are like 1/48" or so, most barrels for roundballs go as slow as 1/66" or more.

My Hopkins Allen .44 flintlock is about 1/66, and shoots roundballs very well, but the few times I tried a .440 conical that fit the .437 bore, it was not accurate at all, but may have had more to do with ramming it home, even though with a clean bore I can (and hunt with) .440 balls with a .010 patch for at least two shots before I have to clean or switch to .435 balls. I have never found any actual .437 or .435 conicals to do a good test though.

My son's CVA .50 carbine is 1/48, and is really accurate with conicals, specifically the Buffalo Ballet, but is only so-so with roundballs. I could use roundballs in a pinch with it though.