Austria continued

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by foxfire, Mar 9, 2007.

1. foxfire

foxfire New Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

Very nice stuff FoxFire. Family treasures to be sure. Take good care of them.
  3. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Would you like a ball-park year of production on your Hamilton? I have a few of those myself and quite enjoy them.
  4. foxfire

foxfire New Member

Yes, that would be nice. In the early eighties a watch repairman offered to buy it from me. Obviously he didn't get it.

The shield in the group picture is 10K gold.

My mom, at one time, had a stack of passes for the MKT railroad but I don't know where they went.

My brother got the six shooter my g.g.paw took from a bad guy one day. I can't remember what type or large caliber it is but it is old and in good condition and valued around $1500.00+.
  5. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Send the serial number off of the bridge on the back of the watch movement to me. I will tell you the model number and year from that number. Also let me know if the watch is a lever-set or a pendant-set. You may want to mention what the case is made of; whether it is a 10-20 year warranty or a solid gold case. I'll go ahead and let you know the actual value; since, I would guess your jeweller likely tried to bend you over.
  6. foxfire

foxfire New Member

Light Coat'
    To set the watch, I need to screw off the Crystal case and pull up a lever at the right of the stem. The back case and the interior I took pictures of so you could get an idea of what is inside. The original stamped name on the inside of the back case says, " Fahys (in script). Below that is "Montauk". Below that is " Guaranteed", below that is, " years". The number of years is not readable. The original (jewelers number stamped below the writing is either 10085249 or 10985249.
    On the interior jeweled face is stamped " Hamilton Watch Co., Lancaster, Pa. 21 Jewels. with a number beside it of 992.
    The long number at the opposite side is "1394285". Other stamps are "Double Roller" and "Adjustable 5 Positions".
    Light Coat,, I have looked on every piece and cannot find any gold stamping (10K or otherwise) yet even though the case is worn as you can see, there is no other coloring on the whole watch (ie:gold worn through) other than what looks like the coloring of 10 to 14K gold???
    ......................................................................................................
    My wife's grandfathers watch is an Elgin, pendant set, 17 jewels with a serial number of 17248190.
    The next message will have the pics of both
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

The Hamilton is a 1913 992L 16 size movement in a gold-filled case. If I was insuring it I would say a bit over $600. They don't usually bring better than $400 unless they are exceptional.

I can give you little information on the Elgin. They kept fairly poor records; but, 1913 is the production year also for this watch. If it is a standard open face case it is about a $250 watch most likely for insurance purposes. Just like the Hamilton if sold it likely wouldn't realize full price.

I like to buy them broke. I can pick up a non-runner for a lot less and get to spend time working on it. I do the same thing with guns.
  8. foxfire

foxfire New Member

Thankyou Light Foot. I'll make a note of the information and keep it with the watch.