Authorities seize guns in SW Michigan traffic stop

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by gvw3, Sep 15, 2012.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looking at the guns they seized how many times have you gone to the range with something like this in your car? :mad:

The Van Buren County sheriff's department said in a statement that a 37-year-old man from the Detroit area was arrested following Thursday's stop in Antwerp Township. He told authorities that the guns belonged to him, and he was taking them from the Chicago area to the Detroit area.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Authorities-seize-guns-in-SW-Michigan-traffic-stop-3865374.php

:mad::mad::mad:
  2. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Five hand-guns, two rifles, two shotguns , plus some ammo.
    Sounds about average for a trip to the range .
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

well... lets see, If in fact they stopped him for traffic violations and discovered he had warrants, then they had probable cause for searching his vehicle...
    Now being that they were all nicely stored in proper travel cases and (i'm assuming, it wasn't mentioned) the ammo was separately stored, not too much would have been wrong.....
    BUT... warrants here in MI... dont get caught with a gun if you have one! Make darn well sure your suppressors are registered (they are legal here in MI), make sure your hand guns are registered, (rifles on private sales don't have paper work) And if anything is out of order... Yes, you will loose your guns!
  4. gvw3

Looks to be all in a case and transported legally. They say he had an illegal silencer. Looks to me as another case of the cop's making up the laws as they go.

I feel bad for this guy as he most likely will never see these guns again.
  5. gvw3

You mean you need to register every gun in your state? That's worse than Illinois. You have to register in Chicago but not the rest of the state. Here we register gun owners, not guns.

Those warrants could have been unpaid parking tickets.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Was it really a silencer, or one of them fake ones that are so popular with the people that like MACs?

Because, of course, the news always gets it right.

If it was a real one, then it is illegal, since he says he was bringing them from the "Chicago area", and they are illegal in Illinois. If he had a real one in Illinois, it was unregistered, 'cause the Feds would not have registered it in Illinois.
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I was just saying... having a warrant (whether you know it or not) + guns in your possession = bad stuff. The "law" will make any B.S. reason they want to to take your stuff until you can prove your innocence (some times that wont even get them back).
    Suppressors are legal in MI "IF" registered. Where you take them after that is your responsibility! Hand guns... Have to be registered.... thats easy, long guns..Only if sold through a dealer (not private sales) and thats even easier!
    Be responsible, follow the local regulations, watch you back (no one else will), and be smart.. you wont typically have a problem (unless the government decides to change the second amendment)!
  8. gvw3

I wouldn't say you won't have a problem as the cop's can say anything they want to get you in trouble. I live in a suburb of Chicago and I wouldn't bring a gun there for any reason.

We don't have to register any guns in this state. Only gun owners. I don't like having to register guns as when they want to take them they know were to go and what you have.
  9. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    An arsenal? If that's an arsenal then I go to the rang with a full on armory!
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmmmm.........
  11. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I hear you there!
  12. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

No kidding I take more to the range as well
  13. Conman

Conman Active Member

Well, I hope it all works out for the best for him!!:)
  14. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

how many guns are in a arsenal anyways??
  15. gvw3

Per that police dept. anything over 2...:eek: