Auto Ordnance D-Day

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MGR2, Aug 11, 2004.

1. MGR2

MGR2 New Member

I have a new Auto Ordnance D-Day Commerative .45 auto. It still has the band and tags on it so the slide has not been opened. Can someone give me a fair value for this gun. I have looked in a couple of books and searched the internet for info but couldn't find anything on this firearm. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
  2. SWC

SWC Former Guest

3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

The value is.......whatever you can get for it.

Seriously, commemoratives are almost impossible to price.

A few become valuable......for instance, some of the various Colt Single Action Armys and a few of the Colt 1911s. Others have stayed the same, and some have dropped considerably. For instance, the Colt John Wayne SAA Presentation was sold for $20,000....it's now worth $12,000.

Other guns, like the many, many, many Winchester Model 94 commemoratives are a drug on the market......often worth no more (and sometimes less) than a "plain Jane" 94 in similar condition.

Might as well hang on to it and hope for the best.

Whatever you do.....don't shoot it! If you do, it becomes just another used Auto Ordinance .45.
  4. SWC

SWC Former Guest

handle it gingerly and with gloves ;)
  5. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The American Historical Foundation commissioned 1000 of the Auto-Ordnance D-Day Commemorative .45 pistols. The issue price is $1895, and units appear to be still available.

Realistically the value on this type of piece is completely market-driven. You would have to find a buyer ready to pay that kind of money for that pistol (so far, AHF hasn't found 1000 of them).

The commemorative firearm market is touchy. Certain limited pieces (like the Winchester Eagle Scout) actually appreciate in value, some maintain close to their issue prices, while many never really perform that well due to the sheer number of issued pieces and/or limited appeal (such as the multitude of Colt pistols commemorating everything and anything throughout the 1960's and 1970's).

A particular problem this pistol is going to have is that it is not a factory commemorative, further limiting the collector pool. If I were buying it for resale I would have to get into it WAY under the $1000 mark.

Good luck!
  6. MGR2

MGR2 New Member

Thanks for all your help!!!

I have someone that is interested in the gun, do you think that $800.00 would be a fair asking price. I don't want to take advantage of anyone, but at the same time, I don't want to give it away either.

Your comments will be appreciated, and I will go with your recommendations because I feel that you all have the most knowledge when it comes to firearms and their value.

Thanks again!
  7. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Well, if you have an interested buyer you are 80% there. I would point out the original selling price of $1895, offer it at $1000, and take $800 if I could get it.
  8. SWC

SWC Former Guest

9. JudgeColt

JudgeColt New Member

Artifical scarcity items appeal only to a limited audience, of which I am not one. The people who buy commerative coins, plates, guns etc. do so for reasons I cannot understand. To be worth anything, they have to be made by a major old-line manufacturer (Colt, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, etc.) and be in absolutely perfect condition with all original packing materials, literature, etc. in perfect condition. Commerative guns not issued by the original gun manufacturer are nearly impossible to resell. Most of the commeratives issued by gun manufacturers are not much better. There is a joke about the numerous Winchester commeratives that you should have kept the box and thrown away the gun.

I know a fellow who buys this stuff and, on the rare occasion when he has tried to sell one, has been greatly offended by the ignorant buyers who do not recognize their value.

For $1895, a buyer could buy a nice Colt M1911A1 of WWII vintage and it will appreciate in value, plus it represents something real. Why anyone would buy a D-Day commerative instead that will be worth a few hundred dollars if a buyer can be found is beyond me.

If anyone wants to buy a commerative for an amount close to half of the purchase price, take it.