Auto vs. Revolvers

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Thomas_1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

I’m looking to buy a .22wmr pistol. What opionon due you guys have on a auto vs. revolver? I went to the gun shop today and both feel about the same weight. I looked at the Taurus Model 941 revolver and a Ruger Mark III. I’ll be using it for squirrel hunting only.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Thomas_1:

You say 22WMR but then you say you looked at a Ruger MK III. Do the MK III's come in 22 WMR rimfire? I thought it was only in 22 LR????

If it is 22 LR you are looking for then the most gun for the least money is the Ruger Mk III in a target model (longer heavy barrel, all steel versions). stay away from plastic guns. metal is forever...plastic eventually degrades).

I have found that some people shoot revolvers better than semi-autos and some shoot semi-auto's better than revolvers, at least in 22LR. I shoot semi-autos better and my son-in-lawshoots revolvers better. So try each and determine which you shoot better.
  3. For the use you envision, I would tend to go with an auto pistol, Thomas, but that may be difficult or impossible if you want the WMR. If memory serves me, the only company who ever tried to build an auto in .22 WMR was AMT and I'm uncertain if that pistol is even still available. If you're content with the .22 LR, there are many auto pistols available, the Ruger Mk III with a bull target barrel likely being your best choice. If you want a revolver in WMR there should be no problem. Taurus, Smith, and several others make them.

The difficulty in trying to chamber an auto in .22 WMR is the slenderness vs. the considerable length of the cartridge (over 1.5 inches). Bottom line, it tends to feed very poorly from a butt magazine and jam about every other shot. ;)
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

While I love autos generally better than revolvers, for some odd reason I seem to shoot big bore revolvers better, BUT I've never found a .22 lr revolver as accurate as a Ruger auto...

But that said, I owned several .22lr revolvers from old Iver Johnsons and various H&Rs that while I would probably not be able to shoot squirrels with them much past 20 yds, the accuracy wasn't that great, but they were handy as heck for carrying when FISHING especially the SS or nickle ones...with the 22lr birdshot loads in alternating cylinders for snakes "just in case..." THAT'S something an auto can't do...

I quit "bank fishing " years ago, so I ended up selling or trading all the revolvers...but a couple of years ago I started "Catfishin'" at a local river, and we are right on the edge of Cottonmouth territory, and have copperheads around too....so while I usually carry my ruger 22/45, I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on another decent "fishing' revolver at shows....;)
  5. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

Ruger Single-Six...you get a .22LR cylinder and a .22 WMR cylinder.

:D
  6. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I've got a Ruger 22/45 Mk III, and I can't hit anything with it worth beans. Plus, it's only happy with one particular cartridge. If I had it to do over, I'd have gotten a nice revolver instead. Long ago I had a H&R Model 999 that was very accurate, as well as being about the prettiest gun I've ever seen. Pity they aren't around anymore, I'd go trade the Ruger for one in a minute.
  7. a1huntingsupply

a1huntingsupply New Member

I would go with a Ruger Single Six if you wan't to shoot 22 mag's :)
    [​IMG]

If 22LR is all you plan on shooting then the Mark III is a good choice. I have both (my semi-auto is a Mark II) and they have been problem free for about 20 years now. The 22 mag's are expensive to shoot :eek: . You might want to take that into consideration.
  8. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

There is a 22 WMR auto. It was made by AMT and discontinued. the desighn is alive again although it escapes me who is now making it. Gun blasts.com. has a report on one. These are pretty good guns and the muzzle flash at night is impressive! Kirk
  9. clmanges

clmanges New Member

Here ya go:

http://www.highstandard.com/

click on "AMT Automag" in the left-hand column, and they have the .22WMR autos at the top of the page -- two are illustrated, with a compact model not shown. They aren't shown on the recent price list, so I don't think they're in production now. Look nice, though, and they had a gas-assisted action.
  10. Freightman

Freightman New Member

The AMT auto mag was a nice shooting pistol, had one and was offered almost four times what I had in it so I let it go, but if you can find one they are fun.
  11. greener

greener New Member

Add another vote for the Ruger Single Six---you get both lr and mag capability. Last time I bought wmr, they were a bit pricey for punching quarter-inch holes in paper.
  12. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I had a heritage arms 22 pistol, it came wit an extra cylinder for shooting mags, nice little pistol.....but I sold it to my brother....stillmiss that pistol
  13. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I have my dad's Ruger Mark I and a H&R mod 676 with both 22 & 22 Magnum cylinders.

I prefer the revolver for shooting. I've never fired the Mark I.
  14. Lon Norder

Lon Norder New Member

Before you buy a Taurus 941, get a good feel for the trigger pull. The roughness improves in 1200 - 1500 rounds, but the gawd-awful heaviness does not go away or improve. The extremely heavy trigger pull is not fixable. I've seen 2 reports on this gun (Ayoob, and Gunblast.com) where both reviewers had to take the Taurus to gunsmiths for remediation, with some mild improvement. My experience also involved a gunsmith, but there was no improvement in the heaviness of the triggerpull. About 2 months ago, I was present when a gentleman tried to sell or trade his 941 to a dealer at a gunshow. He bought it for his wife, but she was unable to pull the trigger on DA. This is the limit of my experience, and what I've gathered elsewhere. I wish I'd known this before I bought one.

In any event, who wants to buy a cheap gun that then costs another $75 or more bucks at the gunsmith to try to make it useful?

LN
  15. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Here's how to "fix" that Taurus even more cheaply...

Spend your $70 FIRST on an M95 Nagant revolver, buy a box of cheap Aquila .32 Long and shoot THAT double action until the box of ammo is gone...:eek:

THEN pick up the Taurus and you will miraculously think..."Now THIS D/A pull isn't bad at all!":p ;)
  16. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I have always been opposed to .22 magnums. You cannot hunt anything with them that a .22 long rifle wouldn't kill just as easily, and the ammunition for the magnum costs 5 or 6 times more than .22 lr. Stick with the .22 long rifle and buy yourself a Browning Semi-Auto Buck Mark. It is the most accurate and durable of any pistol on the market, and it does not cost much more than the Ruger.
    Again, whatever pistol you choose to buy.....go with the .22 long rifle. Your wallet will be much happier in the long run and you will come home with just as many squirrels.