The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Automatic knives

15K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  jedwil 
#1 ·
The last gun show here had alot of automatic knives(switchblades). I wound up buying a side opening knife with a belt clip. Since then I've looked into regulations around here( yes, I know that's stupid), and found out it's okay to own one for collection purposes, but I can't carry in public.
How many of you have auto knives? Do you get to carry? Are there any real good collectibles out there that are worth looking for when the next gun show comes to town?

#2 ·
Can not carry them here either. As for what to collect, it is more a matter of personal taste, and your pocketbook. There are the $10-20 cheapies out there, up to ones that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I usually stick to the Boker, and Buck types, although I do have others. ;)

#4 · (Edited)
One of the few weapons you can't possess, buy or sell here in Indiana besides a sawed-off shotgun is a spring-assisted knife. If assisted openers accidentally turn up at a gun show table, it seems people are aware enough not to buy.

I do remember having a toy switchblade made of tin when I was a kid; I think the blade pushed up inside the handle to appear that you were stabbing someone when you weren't.

The only "real" switchblade I ever bought was a junky one, when I was in Tijuana, Mexico, many years ago.

I hear the better switchblades, stilettos, etc., are made in Italy. I have seen these at gun shows, but failed to buy any. Personally, I do have one of the so-called spring assist or power assist folders by Kershaw and it is a pleasure to carry. But my favorite carry folder is still the big Cold Steel Voyager -- 4-1/8" blade with thumb stud and opens reliably with a slight flick of the wrist. Strong as an ox. I put an extra pocket clip on it for my lefthanded use and it goes everywhere with me, as does the scalpel-sharp Kershaw Blackout.

#5 ·
benchmade and microtechs are pretty much my favorite auto's. i carry microtech, and when i'm worried about losing it, i carry a clone. i always carry an auto with me. i prefer a double action with a hidden release, or a scale release. that way nobody knows what you're carrying ;)

cody

#7 ·
If you are doing the right thing, you will never have to talk to a cop, on business. His job is to put you in jail; yours, to see that he doesn't.
An auto knife, in most places is permitted to serving military, and law enforcement, without restriction.
a "don't ask, don't tell" policy works well, for all others.
Just my .02.

#12 ·
New to the forum so my 2 cents isn't worth much.
Been collecting for a while.
Benchmade "autos" usually have the best customer support.
Microtech seems a little pricey to me.

Well made "user" autos, Mikov, Leveretto, Speed Hunter.

Good letter opener, any name, current production Italian stiletto.

Any of the custom makers are really good (so far).

Having said all that, my EDC is a blaisong.

#13 ·
Welcome to the group Navajo!
Your 2 cents is worth as much as anyone's.
I'm still looking for autos from gun companies. I saw some Colts at one show but had spent all my money. There was none at the next show. Oh well.

#16 · (Edited)
rglbegl said:
FELONY!!! - worse than a loaded gun

--Beagle
I'm new here too, but I'm a bit of a knife knut. So I kind of had to shake my head at this one. I guess it shows how well the media brain washing is working.

Auto's are actually legal in CA with blades of 2".

And most assisted openers (kershaw, buck, sog, camillus, etc) get by the auto designation because they don't have a 'button' to push to open them. Of course some jurisdictions add 'flipper' to the auto designation so it's good to know what's legal in your area.

Legal or no, I've got several autos. They're just fun to play with.
bladeforums.com knifeforums.com

#18 ·
The federal law prohibiting carry of switchblades was an anti-mob/gang law. It was the preferred weapon of these people and an easy arrest for the police. The federal law supercedes all state statutes (all 50); making it illegal to carry one, period. The general interpretation of the law is to confiscate the item; this generally does not lead to an arrest. If you piss of a cop it is a felony arrest.

The "on duty" law allows law enforcement and military "in the normal engagements of their duties"; pending supervisory approval, to carry spring assisted knives or gravity type knives.

I used to carry the orange handled contract knife when I liked jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. I have a couple in my safe and that is where they stay. Don't wear pickle suits no more.

Don't get caught! The laws allow the police to "lose" your prized knife even if they don't press charges.

#19 ·
Light Coat said:
I have a couple in my safe and that is where they stay.
It's a good thing, that hook is pretty undependable, I've snapped 2 in half just cutting several strands of jute that were twisted together...I'd muse the paracord is a lil' tougher. :D

Neat little knives though

Crpdeth

#21 ·
By the way, I think it is crazy that lawmakers or police would be worried about automatic knifes. What real advantage does it give you? Considering some of the knives on the market today. They're just so cool.
KyBlaster, I'm in your corner completely on this one. It's just more "feel good" legislation to demonize something that has no technical advantages over any good thumb opening fully legal (at least here) to carry knive. Should be a matter of choice. They (automatic knives) dang sure can't cut you any deeper, or stick you any worse than any other blade, and are no faster than a Beretta (one which goes EVERYWHERE with me), Boker, or any other thumb operated one hander. Same goes for butterfly knives for that matter. The only thing that might make them more dangerous to anyone is when someone wants to threateningly flash one (butterfly) and winds up cutting his own thumb off in the process. Then again, criminals without opposable thumbs would be a good thing, wouldn't it??

#22 ·
Light Coat said:
The federal law prohibiting carry of switchblades was an anti-mob/gang law. It was the preferred weapon of these people and an easy arrest for the police. The federal law supercedes all state statutes (all 50); making it illegal to carry one, period. "
There is no federal regulation on carrying a switchblade knife, except on US government property. The federal government does not regulate the states. There are states that allow carry.
Bill DeShivs

#23 ·
A friend of mine is a collector who deals almost exclusively in vintage knives. He has some autos that are 100 years old! Most are 50-60 years old. They range from the big Italians to the little double-blade pocket knives. They're all expensive ($200 - $5,000), and many of them are works of art, they're so beautiful. As I said, he's a collector. He doesn't even carry a normal pocketknife in his daily life. He says the trading of knives is dangerous in itself. Ebay has banned the sale of them, for example.

The odd thing is, I remember those switchblade combs that were popular when I was a kid. You've probably seen them too, they looked like the Italian stilletos. The ironic part is that I never see those combs anymore.

#24 ·
White Hawk said:
He doesn't even carry a normal pocketknife in his daily life. He says the trading of knives is dangerous in itself. Ebay has banned the sale of them, for example.
I dont think so...

White Hawk said:
The odd thing is, I remember those switchblade combs that were popular when I was a kid.
LOL, those were fun, we used to take the comb out and "Install" a blade when we were kids...Worked pretty good if you could find a thin, lightweight blade, otherwise it opened real slow, the remedy to that was to hold the knife down beside your leg and let gravety help out. :D

Crpdeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.