Automatic knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by lead, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Meplat

Meplat New Member

KyBlaster, I'm in your corner completely on this one. It's just more "feel good" legislation to demonize something that has no technical advantages over any good thumb opening fully legal (at least here) to carry knive. Should be a matter of choice. They (automatic knives) dang sure can't cut you any deeper, or stick you any worse than any other blade, and are no faster than a Beretta (one which goes EVERYWHERE with me), Boker, or any other thumb operated one hander. Same goes for butterfly knives for that matter. The only thing that might make them more dangerous to anyone is when someone wants to threateningly flash one (butterfly) and winds up cutting his own thumb off in the process. Then again, criminals without opposable thumbs would be a good thing, wouldn't it??
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

3. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

A friend of mine is a collector who deals almost exclusively in vintage knives. He has some autos that are 100 years old! Most are 50-60 years old. They range from the big Italians to the little double-blade pocket knives. They're all expensive ($200 - $5,000), and many of them are works of art, they're so beautiful. As I said, he's a collector. He doesn't even carry a normal pocketknife in his daily life. He says the trading of knives is dangerous in itself. Ebay has banned the sale of them, for example.

The odd thing is, I remember those switchblade combs that were popular when I was a kid. You've probably seen them too, they looked like the Italian stilletos. The ironic part is that I never see those combs anymore.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I dont think so...

LOL, those were fun, we used to take the comb out and "Install" a blade when we were kids...Worked pretty good if you could find a thin, lightweight blade, otherwise it opened real slow, the remedy to that was to hold the knife down beside your leg and let gravety help out. :D

Crpdeth
  5. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

I have a Benchmade Auto I carry dailey. In KY Automatic Knives are covered by your CCW. :D
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Their fun but they will get you in trouble around here.
    I think if I was gonna risk jail time I would rather have a illegal machine gun
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

Texas has a 'shall issue' concealed carry law, which, under our penal code, allows a licensee to carry in all but Hospitals(?), Schools, (inside the physical plant, or buildings), Public Buildings, like courthouses, etc, and Businesses deriving more than 51% of their income from alcohol sold for 'on premise' consumption; Yet San Antonio, Tx, will arrest you for possession of a 'Lock Blade Knife', auto, or otherwise!
    What fool would bring a knife to a gunfight???
    The ones in the Legislature, in Austin, I guess.
    Lemme close with an even funnier situation: A good friend of mine, then, in his 35th year as an USAF reservist, is/was a Flight Engineer on the C-5 aircraft, a skill so critical they would not, once he was activated, after 911, retire from; "Stoploss", they call it, was on his way to Bumfu**istan, or some such, and landed in Travis AFB, for 'crew rest'. Upon entering the terminal, he, and the rest of the crew, presented their flight orders, weapons cards, etc. He was relieved of a 2" long 'Swiss Army Knife' ("We cannot allow knives in the terminal...") but, allowed to proceed with a loaded 15 round Beretta pistol, and two fully loaded mags, without question!
    I picked the place I'm at, based, in large part, on the rationality of their law; YOU should, too!
  8. Ursus

Ursus New Member

The poor auto knife!! I'm not quite sure if it deserves the bad image it has.
  9. Bill DeShivs

The auto knife was demonized by Hollywood and the press in the middle 1950s. The federal government, knowing they had no jurisdiction over the states, banned import and interstate commerce-the only areas they had any jurisdiction over.
    Bill
  10. AngusY

AngusY New Member

Big Jake Knife

Hello all
    I have a tough question
    in the opening sequence of John Wayne's Big Jake, Bad men are about to lynch a sheep hearder , Jacob Mcandles confronts them and makes them cut him down , providing the knife to do so, it is an automatic, Is there a repro of that knife?
    Thanks
  11. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

You do realize that this thread is over 5 years old?

Welcome to the forum!!!
  12. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I would imagine this thread will last longer than five years, it's an interesting topic. For those of you who would like to carry an automatic but appear legal take a look at the Smith and Wesson mini auto. It can be opened normally, but has a hidden release for auto. Here is a link to it with a video. As they say, it can be hard to open until you get used to it. Then it's like hot butter.
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Smith-Wesson-Baby-SWAT--2667

And for the price, get a couple. Very handy little knife when your hands are full.
  13. MH2008

MH2008 New Member

I own probably about 5 autos, all open from the side. It is illegal to walk around here in WA with one unless you are disabled just like using a crossbow during bow season.
  14. ivarr

ivarr New Member

just got two more this week.
    a custom from a guy in Oklahoma, and my latest microtech.
    both double action out the fronts

automatic's are also illegal to carry on public byways and double edge blades of any type knife are forbidden here in the communist occupied territories of Massachusetts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Bill DeShivs

Tennessee just legalized autos.
    Correction- it didn't pass.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The old push-button switchblades were illegal in IL MANY years ago.
    My dad, who was missing his right arm, had obtained a special permit to carry one, since opening a conventional pocketknife was extremely difficult.

I would guess that if you are on good terms with your Dr., and express difficulty opening your knife due to arthritus, etc., they might be able to help you with this -
  17. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Trigger assisted knives are legal in many states that outlawed switch blades due to the loopholes in the laws. Make sure you know the diference
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  18. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

There's been a similar story floating around SE Alaska for a few years now, and since those in a position to refute it haven't, I suspect it may contain a grain of truth. When boarding an aircraft in Juneau a uniformed Alaska State Police officer was told he'd have to surrender some sort of bladed instrument (depending on who's telling the story it's anything from a nail clipper to a Bowie knife), but was allowed to proceed with his holstered sidearm. Given the TSA mindset I wouldn't be surprised.
  19. Fatstrat

Fatstrat Member

Re: Big Jake Knife

And as far as we saw, he let the bad guy keep it.
    I have a couple of S&W "Tactical" automatic knives. Small ones. I don't carry them. I still carry the same Buck 122 that I have for nearly 20 years. I don't even know why I bought them. They are currently stored in a box of about 50 other pocket knives I have no use for.
  20. patrol

patrol New Member

When the hell are people going to learn that making items for protection against the law only assures the crooks are the only one's with what they need to harm people?