B-24 LIberator story

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Texman, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Texman

Texman New Member

2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I can't get the video to play. :(
  3. Texman

Texman New Member

4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Woiks fer me.

(in my best Joisey accent)
  5. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Where was your Dad stationed ?
  6. Texman

Texman New Member

451st bomb group, Italy,, bombed all over the area and into Germany.. His plane was Boomerang got a pic of the crew and nose art somewhere,, want it?

They flew the plane over from US when they were deployed, radio silence for the group of course and till he died, his pilot thanked Daddy over and over for navigating him safely across the Atlantic and all over Germany,, Daddy took one small cut from shrapnel on leg once while standing above the Bombardier
    below him when they took ground fire going into Germany.
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I was never able to see this using Firefox. Never had trouble with Firefox until a week ago when it updated to a newer version...... :(

On a whim, I opened IE and the clip came right up.
  8. Texman

Texman New Member

just to give you something to do, I uploaded two of his ole pictures I had scanned..
    [​IMG]
    over Budabest in the lower part center
    [​IMG]

crew,, on the back it list the crew,, but I am 100% sure Alvin Jay Woods is on the far left
  9. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Awesome ! My Dad was a ball turrent gunner on a B-17 . He was in the 457th Bomb Group stationed at Glatton ( England ) . Flew across the channel to bomb Germany , France ,etc . They went down a couple of times due to battle damage . I have some pics of them standing in front of the plane after a wheels up landing in a field in France . His only injury was during another wheels up landing in Holland . He was knocked out when he hit the radio operators table . :D Great stuff .
    If you have any kids , make damn sure they know all about Grandpaw's experiences . It's a part of history .
  10. Texman

Texman New Member

yep,, my daugher, 38 has copies of the cd where I scanned all his potos to,, I gave copies the rest of the family,, who knows what they would do with them.

Another interesting thing about me and him,, he is my step dad, but adopted me when he married my mother,, When I met my blood father later in life he had been wounded in France or Italy as a driver for some major or general or something,, and was not in good health from those wounds.. He never got to meet my daughter his oldest, we were supposed to go to Mississippi and see him, but he passed a week before.. :-(
  11. djohns6

djohns6 New Member