B/P incident

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by mrkirker, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

(forwarded to me by a team mate)

I got news this weekend that a N-SSA roundball shooting friend of mine had some rather tragic luck. He had removed a lock from a flintlock rifle and was tuning it to get proper sparks. He was priming it from a brass priming flask with a plunger type cut off valve. He would hold the lock in his left hand and trip it with his right. He would then check the flash to see how good the ignition was.

In the process of doing this a spark got into the flask and set it off. The realy bad knews was he was holding the flask in his left hand when it ignited. He suffered complete amputation of his left index finger. partial amputation of his middle finger and thumb. and his palm was burned to the point that they can't realy tell how bad the damage is until later. :( He also suffered less serious burns to his right hand.

Now before you guys start off saying this guy wasnt very smart I would like to say I have shot with this young man for 20 years. He is one of the safest shooters you could ever hope to be around. So what happened then? It seems it was a momentary lapse in concentration:eek:. He was so caught up in what he was doing he forgot about safety. Thats all it takes for an accident to happen. It can happen to anyone, regardless of the level of experience involved!

I would urge everyone to never be afraid to speak up if you see something dangerous going on; on the range or off! Sure sometimes people get a little upset when you do - but if you can head off an accident its worth it.
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Back in 96 at the NMLRA Old North West rendezvous a man was using BP from his horn to get his fire started for cooking and he forgot to put the plug back in. It went off like a grenade in his hand and took several of his fingers off. The horn sent schards into his face and into his buddy's face as well. Prayers to your friend, hope all works out as good as it can in this unfortunate incident.
  3. jondar

jondar New Member

BP is so touchy. I had, in my possession for a while, a Colt SAA 7.5 inch in .45 Colt made in 1882 and thought it would be neat to shoot it with black powder and round ball. I loaded six rounds with FFG, enough so the ball compressed it slightly, with a heavy crimp. The first round detonated the side chambers, all three firing at once, leaving splashes of lead on the frame ahead of the side chambers. No real damage. Thankfully the lower chambers did not. A friend chuckled and said, "Didn't you ever hear of Cream of Wheat?" I said, "yes I have it for breakfast sometimes."
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

What would the Cream of Wheat accomplish, other than a nice scent to accompany the B/P odor?
    Cream of Wheat (or other fillers) are used to 'fill' the chamber when less than full loads are used.
    Perhaps your friend actually was refering to the last step in loading a cap & ball: The application of 'lube': SPG, lard, etc?
  5. jondar

jondar New Member

Yes, I know. I just thought the tight fit of the ball plus heavy crimp would be a tight enough seal. Obviously it was not.
  6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I've shot cap and ball revolvers in competition for several years, now. I'd be interested in hearing how to put a "heavy crimp" into the loading process, as the ball is within the cylinder. (might give me an 'edge' next season!)
  7. jondar

jondar New Member

I don't think you can put a crimp with a black powder pistol. These were .45 brass cartridge cases loaded with a Lyman press. Very easy to crimp them any way you want. Unless I'm not understanding your question.
  8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Seems much not fully understood, yes. Chain-fire instances from cartridge weapons are mighty rare.