Baby Colt Bellnose

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Pustic, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Pustic

Pustic Member

This is a reproduction Baby Colt Bellnose. Cute little booger, huh? :)

Attached Files:

2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

What version of Photoshop do you have?
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest photo shop but Pustic seems sincere so I just let it drop.:) Pustic, there may be one of a kind firearms out there, in fact I'm sure of it, However no revolver ever left either the Colt or Remington factory with a Bell Nose. Sorry about that.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I hope it's Photoshop and that someone didn't ruin a nice gun (even if a repro) for a joke.

Jim
  5. dcriner

dcriner Member

Does that brass device take the place of a loading lever? I would like to see closeup photos of both sides that show the writing.

It seems like the finish of the bbl doesn't show the same wear as the receiver and grips.
  6. Pustic

Pustic Member

That's a custom made baby Colt Bellnose, one of only four known to exist. Not photoshoped, and the brass rod is the loader and wedge remover. Made in .32 caliber and intended to be used as a muff gun. All four are privately owned by three different parties and are rarely exhibited and photographs are almost nonexistent because of the rarity and the priceless value placed on them. Sort of like the 1964 silver Peace Dollar.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Intended to be used as WHAT?:eek:
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That is not a original Colt revolver, it is a modern replical of a 1862 Navy pocket and no, even the original was never meant to be " muff " anything, pocket guns yes, muff guns no. The Police and Navy pocket were made in .36 calber and the conversoins were made in .38 RF and 38 CF. No .32's
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  9. Pustic

Pustic Member

I never said this is original, this is a custom made repro gun in .32 cal. and only 4 were made. I have a short three minute video on the gun which describes the gun and shows it being loaded and fired. I tried posting it here, but it wouldn't accept the code. The video is not on Youtube.

Italy is not the only place that makes repro guns, any skilled metal workers with the proper tools, equipment and knowledge can make guns to their liking. I have a good friend with the proper milling machine and tools, he uses it to make replacement classic automobile and small aircraft parts. Since he owns the equipment, he also makes guns, mostly blackpowder guns, such as flintlock long rifles, various handguns, such as Colts and Remingtons, he also makes replacement parts for any guns that people needs a part for. All he needs is a gun to tear apart so he can 3D scan the parts, program the milling machine, make the parts, finish the parts, and assemble the guns. He can also cast metal. I'll bet you that no one has ever heard of an 1847 Colt Walker in .50 caliber. I know of one. The diameter of the ball is .515 and he uses musket caps. He only made one. He did not make the bellnose Colts, but he has made blunderbusses.

So to those who thinks the bellnose Colt is a fake, I don't really care what you think. You just need to remember that milling machines in skilled hands can and will produce some weird, wild, and odd looking guns, maybe not practical, but different, and that has been going on since the beginning of guns, hundreds of years ago. How do you think new guns are designed and built? Look at the M-16 from the 60's, they don't much look the same now, do they? And why is that? Because someone took the AR frame and played around with it, some ideas did not work, and it's obvious that some did. The bellnose may not be practical on a revolver, but it sure was on the blunderbuss, and on various machine guns from WWII, such as the German MG 17, MG 34, and MG 42, the Italian Fiat-Revelli Modello 1914, The French Reibel machine gun, and the FM 24/29 light machine gun, and the list goes on and on. The bellnose on the Colt may be cute, but it serves no real purpose, but the bell on the Blunderbuss and machine guns has proven themselves for their attended purposes.
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Whats the purpose of a bell on a machine gun.?
  11. Pustic

Pustic Member

I think it's more for flash suppression, and they were usually added to the gun. On the Blunderbuss, it was to help with loading and to spread the shot quicker, and it is the barrel which is flared, or belled.
  12. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I actually own an original Bell-Nosed Colt--the kick from this one can break your shoulder. Holds about 20,000 grains of oats.
    [[​IMG]
  13. Pustic

Pustic Member

:D:D:D:D:D I wouldn't want it snottin' all over me. :D:D