Baby Hammerless

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by marynewcome, Mar 11, 2009.

1. marynewcome

marynewcome New Member

My father has left me a small gun that looks just like a Baby Hammerless except it has "Excelsior" stamped on the barrell. It is a six shooter and I think it is a .22 but it has 5 m/m stammed on it. It has pearl handles that are in good shape except for a small chip. The only information I can find on Excelsior is that they were made by Norwich Pistol Co. in Norwich Connecticut sometime in the late 1800's.

Any information on this gun would be helpful. Also any idea what it may be worth?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. PetahW

PetahW New Member

You have what appears to be a Belgian Velo Dog revolver, of which any number of small Belgian gun firms made untold hundreds, if not thousands.

The velo-dog genre is characterised by small size, slab profile, enclosed hammer, folding trigger, and a safety-catch: all essential requirements for quick-accessibility from the waist-coat pocket while riding a velocipede (bicycle).

Most were chambered for the 5.5 mm Velodog cartridge - unobtainium.

I would put it's wall hanger value (they are unsafe to shoot) at $150-$200.

Here is one, in almost perfect condition, F/S at a normally high-priced website for $330:

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=11409

3. marynewcome

marynewcome New Member

Thank you for your fast reply. You may be right as there is a V under the 5 m/m. Any idea this guns worth?
  4. PetahW

PetahW New Member

5. RJay

RJay Active Member

There was both a Norwich Falls Pistol Company and a Norwich Pistol Compjany, Norwich Pistol used the name Excelsior on a smalll .32 caliber , spur trigger revolver. As stated by PetahW I believes yours was made in Belgium or France ( they were also big on Velo Dogs ) . Yours looks to be in good shape so I would say 150 to 200. If you google J&G Sales out of Prescott ,Az, they did have 5MM velo dog ammo in stock. Old gun but most were well made. 5MM Velo is low pressure ( about .22 short ). They were made to shoot and chase away dogs attaching a bicyclist but not kill them.