Back from the indy 1500...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polishshooter, Nov 4, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

And I still have money left for my wife's B'day...:p :p :p

Actually it was a pretty good show, South pavilion, all three rooms just about filled, ALMOST as big as the January one....

If I WASN'T saving for my wife's Big 5-0, I would have come home with a lot more....saw some NICE Finn M-39s for $260-290, saw a LOT of Jap stuff, which was surprising, including a deal from some guy in the crowd of an early T-38 with the hook safety, a T-38 Carbine, and a "Saimese' carbine, which was a T-38 rifle cut down to carbine length, supposedly by an arsenal in Thailand after the war, all had mums, all were in GREAT shape (except for some annoying "surface rust" that was recent , that had a bunch of us that looked at them wondering why he didn't at least WIPE THEM DOWN before the show??) plus 3 boxes of two full, one partial box of Norma 6.5x50, PLUS 120 rounds of Jap Wartime 6.5 surplus on Jap stripper clips....he wanted $600 for all, and when I was leaving a dealer was haggling with him tryiing to get them for $550....and I saw THREE different M44 Jap takedown carbines too....:eek:

Plus a LOT of Class 3 displays...and like the last three shows, more and more Garand and/or US dealers.....one NICE table with 5 M97 Trench guns, along with many more.....

I was surprised on the prices too...not too bad....

I spent a total of $125, and here's my list of what I brought home....

A new Wilson Beavertail Grip Safety for the .45...($25)
    A box of Winchester FMJ .303 Brit...($10)
    50 rounds of clean 1943 dated British .303 ball....($10)
    50 rounds of British 1973 .308 NATO ball....($10)
    A brand new never opened 2004 edition of Clauswitz's "On War"...($5!!)
    A No4 MkI spike bayonet....($5)
    A new Lee 4 hole conversion kit with indexer to convert my older 3 hole turret press to a 4.....($15) (I Like Lee, what a deal....)
    Some Enfield .303 (4)and some NATO .308 (4) stripper clips...($6) total
    A handful of little gun screws and washers for my parts bin...($2)
    And a neat wood and cold reblueing kit I saw demonstrated (OK, so I'm a sucker for demonstrations and I need to do the wood on my Yugo SKS and the metal on my Ishapore anyway....:p ...) ....($26)
    and a box of 20 .308 NATO Blanks ...($1!!) (I don't know WHAT I needed them for, but for a BUCK? what the hey....:p )
    Plus of course my obligatory chance on the Marine Corp League's Ruger Red Label O/U;) ($1)

Plus parking and entrance fee....($10 total....)

I don't think I done THAT bad...but there were a FEW temptations.....like I ALMOST decided to give my wife for her birthday a decent sawed off Stevens 311 I coulda had cheap....:D
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

What didn't buy no Class 3's
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had fun and got a lot for just a little!!

May the remainder of your weekend be as happy!!
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sounds like a good day, Polish. And if you came away only $125 poorer, you did pretty well. ;)
  5. polishshooter

It sounds like a Visa commercial doesn't it?

The only thing I left out was....

"Taking a vacation day on Friday to do my deer scouting I had planned for Saturday so I could go to the show....." - PRICELESS! ;) :p :D :D
  6. That alone was worth the whole trip, Polish! "War is only a continuation of diplomacy by other means." :D However, I am somewhat surprised you bought such an "evil" book, Polish. After all, von Clauswitz was a GERMAN! :D ;) :p Next thing you know, you will be buying Mausers and Lugers, and touting the virtues of the Tiger tank! :D ;) :p
  7. polishshooter

Well, I STUDIED Clausewitz, even if I didn't "read" him completely, and he DID fight for the RUSSIANS in 1812....:cool: At the very least I will get new "Clausewitz Quotes" to pepper my erudite answers....:p Plus I forgot there was an "e" after "Claus" either so I'm SMARTER already!.....:p :p :D

And if I remember my MilHist courses, there is enough controversy about him and his teachings to make it an argument....heck, even controversy that he was a FAILURE at war, so he taught it instead;) ....although recently he has been somewhat exonerated.

Plus he slams the Frog Jomini, so he can't be ALL bad....;) :D

But I started reading it last night, and for an apparently "new" book, I was disappointed to find HIGHLIGHTED passages in the foreword....I had flipped through it and missed them....but I figure it must have been purchased for some course, and the guy or gal must've gave up reading it before he got to Book I Chapter 1...:p :p :p
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  8. Not too surprising, Polish. Clausewitz had much to say about warfare that is quite relevant to today, but truth be known, his writing is quite ponderous. Try reading it in German sometime; it's much worse! Clausewitz was right though, war is indeed continuation of diplomacy via other means when all is said and done. If you want to read something that really discusses the principles of armed conflict, read Sun Tzu's work, The Art of War.
  9. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

RE: Indy 1500

There was a time when I wouldn't miss the 1500 for nothin' - unemployment totally sucks.
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Your wife read these forums?

My wife just wanted to know. ;)
  11. polishshooter

Actually not, although occasionally I show her the good ones, like the Anti-Kerry banner from Iraq....;)

And yeah, PS, I read Sun Tzu in college, and again since (It's in my local library)...we HAD to read if I remember right, either Clausewitz, Mahan, or Sun Tzu, and everybody picked Sun Tzu, the book was WAY thinner....:p

But I remember more than one professor teaching Clausewitz, both good and bad, he DOES have some rules that don't translate well into the air and armor age, much less naval, but that is probably because he wrote in such detail on strategy and tactics rather than with quaint one-line "generalities" like Sun Tzu...
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Polishshooter you should get her to regester maybe under polishshootet