1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Back Ordered Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wingspar, Sep 25, 2009.

1. wingspar

wingspar Member

I just ordered two boxes of Winchester 9mm ammo from Cabela’s that is back ordered. Supposed to be 2 to 3 weeks before it is shipped. No biggie. Probably be longer than that before any store around here has any in stock.

I was in the Reno Cabela’s store a few months ago, but that is my only experience with Cabela’s. Huge. Too big. Too much stuff. Overwhelming, but it seemed like a safe bet to order online.

One thing I noticed when you go to the ammo page, that it is broken down by Handgun Ammo, Rifle Ammo, Shotgun Ammo and others. I looked under the handgun ammo to find the ammo I ordered, but for the heck of it, I looked under the rifle ammo expecting to see the same ammo (9mm) listed there. There was no 9mm ammo under rifles. I own a 9mm carbine, and I know other rifles use 9mm. 22's are listed both places. Thought that was strange, and wondering if there is a reason 9mm isn’t listed under both handguns and rifles, or it’s an error on Cabela’s part.

Also, for those that have ordered from Cabela’s, did they ship via UPS, FedEx, or someone else? Their website does not say anything other than “Standard Express”, which is a term I’ve not heard of.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

9mm is typically used in pistols and shorter barrelled weapons. I've never seen it listed under a rifle section. The camp rifle that you have and a few other variations on the 9 and .45 were designed to be shot with the pistol ammo loading. There are a few others out there too; couple of .357 mag lever rifles out there.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

While there are rifles chambered in 9mm Luger, it is pistol ammo. By the same token, there are pistols chambered in 44/40 and 38/40, but they are rifle ammo.

There is the BFR. Huge honkin' 45/70 revolver. But 45/70 ammo would not be listed under "pistol". Contenders are chambered in many rifle rounds - 223, 35 Remington, 30/30, 308. None of these are listed as "pistol ammo".

There are many rifles chambered in pistol ammo, just as there are many pistols chambered in rifle ammo. But they are still "rifle ammo", even if chambered in a pistol, and "pistol ammo" even if chambered in a rifle.

I'm actually surprised they have 22s listed under either. It is normally listed by itself, as "rimfire ammo".
  4. kingchip

kingchip New Member

I order frequently from Cabela's and they always ship UPS.
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thank you both. That makes sense. However, after posting my question, and reading your replies, I went back to the Cabela page and made sure that 22 ammo was listed in both pistols and rifles, and it is. Usually when I post from memory, I’m wrong.

Thank you. That really helps. UPS is my preferred carrier. Places that don’t list who their carrier are a little frustrating, as I get my mail in a PO Box, and packages to my home. Knowing how the order is shipped helps me know where to have it shiped to, depending on size and contents of course.

Backorder-Tentative arrival to Cabelas 10/15/09, so it will probably be three weeks before I see it.
  6. sinken

sinken New Member

I ordered 3 boxes of 9m from Cabelas on 10/27/09 and was sent emails saying that the shipping date was this or that past my original date. Finally recieved email in December asking if I still wanted the 9m. I cancelled the order saying 8 weeks was beyond my threshold of pain. Ordered from Wiedners and had it in 7 days. Go figure!!!!