Back orders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Dec 17, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I know this has been pretty much beat to death. How ever thought I would throw a new twist on it. I put an order in on May 5th for 5K primers and 8 pounds of powder. I called last week. To put in a related order, and ask if they had any idea as to when I could expect the back order. Bet you can’t guess what they said.
    Well My question, I have read of Guys getting theirs in 6 months, And as long as 9 Months. If still waiting how long has it been. Or if you have gotten your. How long did it take.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I placed a large order with a wholesaler in January for bullets, primers and powder. Most all of the order took 6 months and some of it a few months longer. I got the last item last month (10 months later!).

I order more than enough to last me many years in the hopes that the supplies would return after we get rid of the current administration and congress. Hopefully they will not do damage to the availability of reloading supplies by passage of some anti-reloading laws! But who knows?

The stupid California legislature passed a law that finger prints and records the identity of anyone buying handgun ammo and limits sales to 50 rounds per month. Now that's going to hurt. They'll get to reloading component soon, I'm sure, but I got mine. It's still stand in line to get most ammo here with 22 ammo especially in short supply and the law doesn't get implemented until July 2010.

LDBennett
  3. wingspar

wingspar Member

I had a back order for some 9mm ammo at one place for months. In the meantime, I found plenty of places I was able to order and get immediate shipping, so I ended up canceling the order. Won’t be ordering from them again.
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

This is what you do. You order from Cabelas. They do not charge your card untill the order is ready to ship. You can't be choosy on what kind of primers you want.

Place 3 different orders. One order for 5k winchester primers one order of 5k remington primers and one order of lets say magtech primers. You will be notified when one is ready to ship. At that point you can cancel the rest of the orders. This way you will get what ever comes in stock first.

Same thing with the powders. Lets say you can use 4350, 4064, ect. Choose 3 that you can use and take whatever comes in first.

Doing it like this you should get back up and reloading in 2 to 3 months.

Edit: Now i am assuming that you are talking about one type of primers. You will not be successful if your order has 2k sm pistol, 2k sm rifle,1k large pistol. It needs to be 5k of one brand and one type. Thats to make it cost effective. What I believe is that when your supplier gets primers in that fit your need they may not have the powder you want and that will screw up your order and the primers get sold or the powder gets sold from under you. The chances that the supplier has the primers and powder you want at one time is going to be slim to none.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

wingspar said:

"Won’t be ordering from them again."

Don't blame them. They can only sell what they can get from suppliers and the what the suppliers can get from manufacturers.

The manufacturers are running full bore and are not able to keep up. They don't dare increase the size of their operation beyond their current capital investment because this "run" on primers is not permanent and it is a recession in the rest of the USA. When the market gets saturated, and it will eventually, the market will disappear instantly. If they expand now they'll get left holding the bag (full of primer they can't sell, capital investment they can no longer afford, and too many workers). Most have decided to maximize the output with their current people and machines.

The blame belongs on hoarders, and people who buy up everything they can, inflate the price and resell them. I have seen 1000 primers priced at $40 when I know the going price is about $25 at distributors. Remember these same primers were $18 no more than two years ago to anyone at any gun show. I'll admit to buying more than I need at the moment but I have always stocked components for reloading such that I never run out. I just bought a few more so as to not run out in the next five years. Others have gotten paranoid and bought more than they can use in their lifetime. Still others are busily buying any primers in sight and selling them at a huge profits.

Want to blame someone..... Start at the people who voted for OBAMA and his liberal friends in congress. The financial mess they have gotten us into may cause the demise of the USA and having loaded ammo may be a way to survive when the whole of our system collapses. It is possible, you know!

LDBennett
  6. wingspar

wingspar Member

Well, I have ordered from them since, but only for items in stock, and not ammo. I’ve since found much better sources for ammo. I got tired of getting emails from the once a month saying the ammo was in stock, and should ship in the next 2 to 3 days, only to get another email 3 days later saying they were out of stock, and expect another 2 to 3 weeks when I had no problem ordering elsewhere.

Hoarders. That’s another subject. :mad:
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have always watched certain websights for primer availabilty and have found them within two weeks, it just takes a sharp eye. I also have posted here several time when I see them. Also I was at Bass Pro last night and low and behold primers were on the shelf!!!

Here is some help for you guys on primers

Small pistol: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9016&dir=278|284|994

Large Rifle CCI#34, CCI#41, CCI Small Rifle and Magnum:http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

CCI BR Large Rifle: http://www.grafs.com/product/256570

Federal Large Pistol :http://www.natchezss.com/Category.c...odTitle=Federal Large Pistol Primers 1000/box

Magtec Small Rifle : http://www.grafs.com/product/265277

a bunch different CCI primers here:http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?category=6&brand=CC&catLevel=1
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I got interested and decided to look for myself tonight. Alot of places are out of stock but midway had a good supply. depending on what you want.
  9. army mp

army mp Member

Once again I have to agree with Bennett. I am not out of primer and powder. Just lower stock than I like.
    I was just wondering who has waited the longest.
    I to do not think a suppler should be Black balled over something out of their control. Bad service, That’s a whole different story.
    Hopefully this Shortage Garbage will end soon. But from what I have heard. Not likely.
    If I lived in California. I would be the biggest hoarder out there. And with the present Administration. Once they get threw paying back all there sweet heart deals. Cap and trade & Health care. Ridiculous Gun laws may be coming to a Town near you. And I don’t think I’m the only one with the Tin foul hat on. I like many, am just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
  10. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I have found Graf and Son's to be the best to get primers and Cabela's the worst. YMMV.