Back packs any experts on them here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jack404, Jul 7, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Jack, those small packs are great for those "grab-N-go situations, but if you want to "carry a heap", you might want to look at something with a frame. I have one like you posted, but I use it for the car. It carries extra ammo, and some things I think I might need in an emergency situation, if stranded on the road. For really moving out with some gear, take a look at these: http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierra/titan-65/210783?productid=10127370 I'm no expert, and am not recomending these bags, just trying to show you what I would want on a trip into the wilderness.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  3. 22to12gauge

22to12gauge Former Guest

I am not an expert but I have a Kelty Trekker 64 external frame pack. I like it and recommend it. Carries roughly 45lbs well. It's my bug-out-for-good-bag.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

http://www.kelty.com/p-431-trekker-64.aspx

see thats better its got a place for a bed roll under ..

i carry 4-8 lb of salt when i cross country

hides that i keep i salt or they stink fast

been reading about the Kelty frames , beats my old alice rig ;)
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That frame will take a lot of the load you are carring, and distribute it around your hips. Lets you carry more without feeling it so much.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

I wear a web belt with some basic pouches and a couple water bottles

tinder kit first aid and knife and ammo in the basic pouches and on belt

i have a "traditional" woodsmans bag for ball and a powder horn set that has the big tinder set and char cloth and other shooting things and another knife ( swiss army) and some paracord

the packs mainly for carrying a rations and salt, a change in clothes , washing/cleaning gear and what i pick up along the way and another couple water bottles and a camelback if i day trip from any base i may make , and a axe and butchering gear

bed roll has two hootchy sheets , 8 big octopus straps waterproof canvas outer thats also my coat and a army sleeping bag

so yeah i carry a bit
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

oh and my little laptop and 4-5 batteries
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Just got a Kelty redwing 50. They are great packs very well built high quality at a good price. You can't go wrong with that one in my eyes.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

10. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Jack,

I do a lot of back packing, and if you are carring that much for any distance you want to make sure the pack fits correctly. Most good back packs these days have different belts and shoulder straps that can be enterchanged, depending on your size. I have a Greggory that was professionaly fitted at a local outdoor store based on my size. It made it much more expensive, but was well worth getting the custome fit.

If your not treaking great distances and carring less weight, then I would still recommend that you at least try it on, to make sure it is comfortable.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

bit hard here, kelty dont sell here yet
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kelty has had a good name, still has so far as I know.

eBay US has a number of Kelty backpacks; one that I checked will ship to Australia for $50.

Amazon might have similar posibilities.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Jack, if you are needing a frame for your ACLE pack, send me your address and I will send you one. I retired in 1996 and the ALCE frame has been laying in my reloading shed since then. The frame is still in great shape and it has a serviceable ACLE pack attached to it.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Hey Cheers gd but have plenty of frames and original bags i'm actually after the built in panels in the kelty straps you can shape em to match your shoulder and they'll stay , which with the huge lump on mine makes the kelty look awful interesting , and why after them in particular , i've a dozen or so alice setups , just one of the prepper types i guess

;) but cheers again eh ..