The Firearms Forum banner

Backyard .22

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Curlyjoe_99 
#1 ·
I want a bolt action rifle for use in plinking in the back yard. I live in what ustoo be cuntry but now am surrounded by homes, most on 2 - 5 acre lots. A few nieghbors shoot in their yards - I hear them often. Mostly 9mm, I suspect. Probly have berms to shoot into, against the swampy tree area. Still takes consideration re safety & the neighbor's fears, but not illegal. I shoot .44 mags - not good for this. Just want an accurate gun to target shoot with low noise & speed. Made the mistake of buying one of those break-barrel super pellet rifles! Seems they have to be nearly rebuilt for accuracy unless you spends hundreds. Sssooo... Back to real firearms. When I was a kid I had a single shot & pumped shorts thru it. Ate a lot of squirrels thanks to that little nail driver. I wonder what's out there now. I see kids' .22s at the stores but they're SHORT! And I wonder if they're #rap like most low level stuff. Or if there's a good rifle, of a size for an adult. I just want to print targets, no hunting. Thought about building a silencer for my Remington auto but the LRs move along very fast & would require additional safety constraints. A short would be stopped by a 4" wood backstop and are not noisy.
Yer thoughts?

#3 ·
Id say go for it.

Maybe you should contact the shooting neighbors and get together for a shooting day.

One bad part of that are the non-shooters. More shooting and they may become anti-shooting neighbors. Best to invite them to a shoot and let them know exactly what is is you are doing. Let them shoot, if they desire, and let them see that you have good backstops and safety habits while shooting. Clean up even though it is your own property so that is not an issue.

Maybe those neighbors wont object. Sooner or later a newcomer will. When one does object the answer will be "oh they been doing that for years and are safe." Best to establish good relations rather than court dates.

#4 ·
Another idea is to establish shooting hours, and all abide by them. Our club has neighbors that can hear the shooting, but we only shoot from 10:00 - 6:00 Monday thru Saturday, and 12:00 - 6:00 on Sunday. We can shoot later in the summer, until 8:00 I think. Seems to work well, and keeps the neighbors happy.

You may run into issues if someone is shooting after dark.

Just my $.02.

Thanks.

Tim

#6 · (Edited)
Savage MKII FVSR- very accurate .22lr rifle. Treaded barrel for a suppressor. Accutrigger Just put your scope on and enjoy. I have one thats more than capible of .300 50 yard groups with good ammo. Even the price is not bad at 315 retail. With a street price around 270. Go to rimfirecentral and there is aguy at the savage section that makes single shot adaptor cheap. You can shot .22 shorts just clean the chamber when done. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

#8 ·
Sounds like you live in an area that is getting built-up. I'd advise you NOT to shoot with neighbors living so close. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd look into joing a local Gun Club with a shooting range.

Just one stray bullet fired by you or someone else could land you into some deep hot water. Even if you could get some neighbors to agree to reasonable shooting hours, I'd just about guarantee that sometime down the road somebody will move in to your community and stir up a hornet's nest.

Hope it works out well for you - Good Luck!

#9 ·
Marlin Model 60 .22 Rifle has to be the most accurate plus its a tube feed so you dont have to hassle with a clip. Im not trying to be the bad guy of this thread but what you and your neighbors are doing is very dangerous and someone can easily wind up in jail, then most likely prison after. I heard of plenty of people that have shot in their backyard in a neighborhood even with 3-4 acres that have killed people on accident and the grnad jury didnt accept the fact that the shooter said it was an accident. I know one guy in Jourdanton Texas a few years ago get 20 years in prison for killing a little girl a mile away because he bought a new .22 and was setting the scope. Im lucky because I have a good sized farm and can shoot in piece without having to go to a public shooting range. Good Luck, Have Fun, and BE SAFE. have a nice night

#10 ·
Oh yeah I know of a guy on his big farm in SouthWest Texas that was shooting his .7mm mag rifle and it accidently hit someone but luckily not killing them and he almost got in trouble. Im scared a little to shoot but I will do it till I die at my farm and have fun like i do on top of that but I will say one thing Im even more scared of going to a range. There is just something I dont like about when someone who is not in my family or one of my friends that has a loaded weapon with them next to me.

#13 ·
Yup, done all the safety thinkin. May not go farther but since the nearest range is over an hour away I don't get there but every several months. I agree with not taking chances or angering neighbors! That's why I tried the pellet rifle thing... Been shooting them for over 50 years. The new, powerful ones are nearly as noisy as a .22 & shoot between 800fps & 1200fps.
Brooding... Thanks guys, fer letting me into yer addled brains. Mebbee I'l just stick with my Red Rider at home & my .44s at the range.

#14 ·
#19 · (Edited)
Dang, Bob, with it being that fast, it was too dangerous for them anyway.:D :rolleyes:
I will allow them to shoot it, but with supervision!:p
...(I picked up one of those Benjamin Nitro-Piston deals, and it was fast and IMO too dangerious for "kids" to be out with un-supervised!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.