Bad Day at Range for Semi's

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tonygrz, Mar 4, 2011.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Hi all,

Finally made the time to go to the local range. I had some pistols that I hadn't fired in some time. All were semi-auto and there's where the trouble began.

First one was a Kel-tec 32. I carried (last day was yesterday) this pistol everyday. When I fired it, it failed to feed the second round. The second round failed to enter the chamber and stuck in an upward angle. I tried several magazines and all performed the same way. Now it's gun show material.

Second one was the 380 Kel-tec. This one was different. It failed to chamber the third round out of every magazine. No matter how many times I fired it, it would not chamber the third round. Same as above, the round failed to chamber and stuck in an upward angle. More gun show material.

Third one was the Kel-tec P11. No pattern to it failing to chamber some rounds. Sometimes it was the second round or the third. At least one round per mag. Off to the sale barn.

And the last semi-auto was a Ruger P90. The mag holds 10 rounds but I couldn't feed that many so I just loaded seven rounds. With every mag, the last round would not chamber and also stuck with an upward angle. I thought maybe it was that I loaded seven rounds so I just loaded five and the same thing happened on the last round. This one I'll keep.

This is enough to make a grown man cry. Maybe I should just stick with wheel guns. The Fed 327 mag and the 44 special worked just great. All cylinders fired as promised.

Moral - my new carry gun is a Ruger LCR.

Tony
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I am wondering on that Ruger if it is not due to a bum magazine spring. I dont have any experiences with the Kel Tech's so I can't offer no opinion on those.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

sound like the kel tec mags kept dropping out.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

or the feed lips were stretched out from staying loaded for carry. Try squeezing the mag together at the lips with a pair of pliers and see if it dont help...

I agree the ruger mags are just a spring issue. Take the mags apart and stretch the mag spring out...

All in all tho, that would be enough to make me not wanna buy a kel-tec. Dont really much care for them anyway, but still.
  5. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Man, I guess you did have one heck of a time. Thats almost enough to make you want to give up on the sport of shooting. It also tells me that I should not buy a kel-tec.

Since you had problems with all of the guns, maybe it has something to do with the type of ammo. I have found that some ammo works in certain guns, and some dosen't.

Are you using re-loads?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Could it be a grip problem? I.E. One is not gripping it correctly/strongly enough?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I believe JLA and Ugly are correct on the P90.......mine used to do that too.
  8. hakasaw

hakasaw New Member

I had a simular problem with a P90, it turned out to be a ammo problem.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

With the same problem from four different autoloaders, limp-wristing was my first thought, too.
  10. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

My experience has been ..The smaller the gun the bigger the hold.
  11. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

Thanks for all the great replies. I tend to believe that I might have been limp wristing the small Kel-tecs. Just because of their size. Now I have a good excuse to go out and burn more ammo to see if your ideas were correct.

Thanks,

Tony
  12. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I dont know if I would blame the guns I have owned a kel tec p-11 for about 10 years fire it quite often and have never had any feeding problems it even digests the cheapest of steel case ammo with ease I would agree with it being a mag problem if you think its just the size of the gun kel tec has mag extenders that add that extra little something to hold on to at the base I beleive they are fairly inexpensive and slip on the bottom of your mag
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011