Bad day at the range.....:(

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by workonwood, Dec 24, 2013.

1. workonwood

workonwood Member

Hey Guys, just wanted to share what happened to me at the range this weekend. I shoot in speed steel competition, shooting six steel plates in various positions as fast as you can. I shoot a Sig P226 Scoprion 9mm with 3.0g of 700x and 115g Extreme bullet. In the middle of a match, first and second shot went off fine, third shot I saw my front sight dip, no sound, did not cycle, so I racked another one in (assuming the primer did not go off) and shot the fourth. It hit the steel plate but did not cycle. I went to rack it again and the gun was jambed. I MEAN JAMBED!!!! I could drop the hammer, so I got my flash light and looked down the barrel and I could see the empty case. Then I noticed the barrel was split. The third round only went half way down the barrel, the next round knocked them both out and hit the steel plate and split the barrel. The R.O. next to me said he never heard the round go off, like you would if you only had a prime in and no powder. I never heard it or felt it. A few weeks ago we had a 45acp go off with just a primer and with would not cycle the next round in the chamber because it barely went into the barrel. It took me three hours of shop time to get the slide off, gun looks o.k. Just need a new barrel. I have loaded 16k rounds this year with no problems. What is the chance of a prime not Igniting all the powder? The Dillon is spot on with the powder drops. I check every 50 or so and they are with in .1 either way of 3.0.

MY LESSON LEARNED......If I have a misfire....my time is already shot for the round.....STOP AND LOOK. Its hard when the name of the game is speed. My fastest time for six plate was 1.97 seconds. It dosnt give you much time to react.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Man, that looks pretty bad, but not the worst I have seen. That "stop and look" is the very first thing I do if any thing doesn't sound right.
  3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thats not good....
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

JB Weld that thing

JK, glad the rest of the gun is OK
  5. karlrudin

karlrudin Member

The standing rule in the military was, as I am out, was if you had a pop and no kick, STOP! Its a hang fire. I've had them in my loadings and factory. Its cheaper to stop and check and safer for the shooter. I spent 2 months recouping from a failed case with both eyes bandaged and thanking God the gun held together. We all know this is a dangerous hobby. Sometimes we need a GENTLE reminder. Glad your safe.
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Ouch! Lucky it didn't get worse. Just replace the barrel, but I'd check the firing pin also just to be o the safe side. I'd probably replace both the firing pin and the firing pin spring. I'd check that slide very well also - preferably under a microscope. A barrel split like that is NOT a good thing and can cause all sorts of problems in other areas of the pistol. If one of mine doesn't go BANG when I shoot it, I stop and find out why.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

ouch.

looks like a non charged case and primer sent the projectile into the bbl...
  8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

go buy a lottery ticket.

I know guys always harp about stopping for a hang fire or anything that doesn't sound/act normal. But I can see where it would be difficult to do in a timed competition. I guess it's all up to you to train yourself to stop and have a higher level of self control
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow. Glad you came out of that intact and that everyone else is OK.

Six rounds that hit their target in under two seconds is pretty good shooting.