Bad day out shooting but still had fun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 76Highboy, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Today my wife and I went shooting and we took the car because we had a little bit of extra driving to do. So we got out in the desert and as I was pacing off 600 yards my wife patiently followed behind in the car. When I had paced off 400 paces I stopped and turned around and my wife was behind me about 100 yards still because she was picking up brass that another shooter left behind (She's a keeper). So as I waited for her I began getting sick to my stomach (still recovering from my operation) and then along she came. Then as she approached me she suddenly maneuvered the front driver side tire into a badger hole and wouldn't you know it the right rear tire settled into a bid dip. My wife felt so bad. So, after about 20 minutes along came a 4X4 and they tugged us out. We did not have much time to shoot (had to pick up relatives from the airport) and we did not want to chance getting stuck again so the 4X4 followed us back. We ended up sitting right at 110 yards from the orange steel target, and that is where we did business.

I shot my Ruger Vaquero 45 colt, 4 5/8" barrel and of course non adjustable sights. with 250gr RNFP with 8.0gr of Unique first. I played a bit and then shot the steel target. The target is 12"X11" and is painted orange.

The first pic is from rest at. 3 hits out of 6, with about 10mph wind.

Also, more pics to come.

Attached Files:

2. 76Highboy

The second pic shows five in the middle. Four of those five were from that same revolver. I hit 4 out of five. I hunt a lot of cotton tail with this revolver and it naturally points for me.

Then, one of the five was one last round that I sent down range with the 45 colt and it is the one that almost hit the bullseye(center hole). Darn, I wish I had five more in the cylinder.

The other three were from my Ruger SR1911. It kept jammimg so there was no consistency. The rounds were hanging up as they were feeding into the chamber so I will need to check it out.

I still had my Springfield but was out of time so we had to leave. The good thing was my stomach was feeling better so it is a fact that target shooting is great medicine.

I did not get to try 600 yards but maybe next week I can give it a try. It's going to be a challenge but what the heck, you never know until you try.

Attached Files:

3. 76Highboy

One last thing, I had to pace off my target because I LOST MY RANGE FINDER. Appliancedude probably took it, or maybe T2S or 68. Whoever took it, please return it. :D
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't have more time, but you did get to the range, I spent the day at work.
    I hope you get the SR1911 figured out. I haven't heard too many reports on them, mostly just complaints that people can't find one for sale.
  5. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Well no damage to the vehicle and you got to shoot your guns, sounds like a good day. Try and get some video of that 600 yd shot.
  6. 76Highboy

I will video it but to be honest without a good spotting scope it will be pretty hard unless I can "Ring" the steel loud enough to hear it. At 110 yards you can hear it but I had to take my ear muffs off and just use the ear plugs by them selves. Normally I wear both. I need to find m y range finder and I also need a spotting scope.
  7. hstout1143

My club has steel at 600 meters, it can be heard at that distance.
  8. hstout1143

It's been years since I've used a video camera. The last one I had the digital zoom wasn't very good at those distances. I'm sure they've improved, but to me getting video would be difficult.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  9. 76Highboy

I have a camera that has a zoom on it but it won't power up. I will try to figure out what is wrong this week.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

peltors, protects the ears for the shot but lets you hear the ping. I shoot 500m + with the sniper systems and although not real loud, a ping is definately heard even at long range. I wouldn't know if the pistol rounds would make enough to hear that far though, I'm thinking they would but only one way to find out. Longest steel target at the range is either 700 or 800m and it's (barely) audible with 7.62 NATO.

but yeah, sounds good just to get out to the range even if cut short, been out hunting about 4 trips so far this year but got a little delay today with a bunch of stuff hitting at once, kinda sucks. But all my buddies can't even get a single day in so far so I guess I'm lucky to get what I get this year.
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Hey highboy, anytime you get to spend time with a gun its fun so Im glad you had fun shooting your weapons. Hope things work out better next time
  12. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

nice. glad ya hade fun.
    ANd I have know idea what your talking about.