Bad news for the FN 57 Handgun!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rugster, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Rugster

Rugster New Member

I was watching TV and fileing a report yesterday when something grabbed my attention.I heard one of the NBC stations up north or out west(We have both East and West NBS,ABC,CBS and Fox)Im pretty sure this was California.The news anchor man stated to watch news channel # for information on a Armor pierceing Handgun that the public could easily obtain and something had to be done about it.I had to hear this so I watched,the Chief of Police had a FN 57 Handgun.He hung up a bullet resistant vest and shot it at 25 ft.Well it did penetrate the Kevlar(Which rarely Ive seen a 9MM do).Now they had a lady their to tell the public what this gun could do in the hands of a terrorist and was asking people to join her alliance against this gun,and even had a address displayed where you could donate money to help get this terrible weapon out of the hands of Americans.She was given a big pat on her back from the news anchor man for her efforts on getting this gun out of circulation.It was stated no one outside of LE and Military purposes did this gun fit in.I hate it when Police Chiefs chime in and speak for all of their Officers.So a new battle begins.
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I wonder what kind of bullet they were using.

The battle......continues......
  3. Bigtire

Bigtire New Member

It was just a matter of time. I'd have like to stood next to him and fired a Thompson Contender in 30-06 and blown a fist sized hole in the vest just to get their reactions. :D

Heck, I'll bet a 7.62x25 would have penetrated the vest too.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  4. MVP

MVP New Member

Or if it was an up to date vest?
  5. richbug

richbug New Member

with standard ball ammo the 5.7 will poke through 48 layers of Kevlar. I am pretty sure a 3A vest is only 20. The local shop had one on the shelf for $800 with 3 20 round mags.... but ammo is pricey.
  6. richbug

richbug New Member

Also the gun looks and feels like a toy. Less than 2 pounds loaded, largely plastic, feels more like tupperware than glock. Uses a roller locking system similar to a CZ-52 I think.
  7. MVP

MVP New Member

I was under the imprerssion that the FN FiveSeven was only available to law enforcement or military for that reason(the ability to penetrate kevlar).
    What changed that they offer it to the public now?
  8. richbug

richbug New Member

That was FN's policy, but I think it applied to AP ammo. He couldn't get AP ammo unless it was for LEO's. To top it off the ball ammo has hollow point tips, much like a match HP bullet. I expect that they would still blow up nicely after those 20 layers of kevlar.
  9. MVP

MVP New Member

I better buy one before they get banned and the price goes the way of the Steyr AUG did :rolleyes: ;)
  10. geezler

geezler New Member

If i were FN i would have my attorneys file suit against all involved.
  11. Rugster

Rugster New Member

MVP,you are probably right about the price going up on the Handguns,but believe me they are already priced out of reason.Plus the ammo is in short supply as of now and its also extremely expensive.

Best!!
  12. SaxonPig

SaxonPig New Member

It has been my understanding that the ATF bans pistol ammo that can penetrate the typical vest. That's what happened to all that cheap imported 7.62X39 ammo back in the late 1980s. Some outfit made a prototype handgun in that caliber and the ATF banned the sale of the ammo. Fine when there were only rifles but when they made a pistol the feds banned it.

Same story with the PMC tubular ammo. Pulled because it sliced through a vest.

If the 5.7FN ammo will punch a vest, I would think the ATF would ban the ammo (not the gun, just the ammo).

Now, having said that, it is a poorly kept secret that 130 hardball from the .38 Super will defeat a vest. I have not tried it but a friend who used to sell guns and police equipment assured me that the Super will penetrate the typical vest. He said he demonstrated this fact to a vest salesman one day on his indoor range when the rep insisted that his product would stop ANY handgun caliber.

If this is true I don't know why hardball ammo for the .38 Super hasn't been banned for civilian sales.
  13. MVP

MVP New Member

I wondered what ever happened to the PMC Tubular Type ammo. I used to get that stuff in the early nineties for my 44spl and loved it because it was by far the most accurate through my handgun.
  14. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Most vests can be penetrated with an arrow from a compound bow, are they going to outlaw bows now as well!
  15. bobtom115

bobtom115 New Member