Bad Primers?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Taorn, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Taorn

Taorn New Member

I have been reloading for a only a little bit, and I am wondering that I may be doing something wrong... On three of the six primers I tried they failed to fire on the first firing but all fired on the second fall of the hammer. 30-30 Winchester cases, BC-2 powder, the primers are CCI 200 large rifle. Is it that I am seating them to far in? Is it the primers? combination... Any help for a Newb would be quite appreciated!
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

First thing I would think is the primers are not seated all the way. When the primers are hit the first time they seat completely then the second hit fires them.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The primers must seat below the surface of the rim. It only need be a couple of thousandths but enough that you can feel it with your finger. If they stand proud of the rim then they are not seated properly and misfires will occur.

LDBennett
  4. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Yup, odds are you do not have them seated deep enough.