Bad scope or scope rings or ???

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by netexasemt, Oct 15, 2011.

1. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Bought myself a Remington 7400 .30-06 brand new about 6 years ago. We had a lot of hogs in the area at the time and I wanted a semi-auto. 6 years ago I was also dumber than I am now and simply purchased a $40 3-9x40 Tasco scope, and used a set of see through Weaver scope mounts I had on hand (no idea what I was doing with them) and zeroed the scope in Christmas evening at about 100 yards. Got myself a few hogs, no problems. Tried to always be very careful when handling the weapon as to not knock off the scope. Then one day I was deer hunting and attempted to take a small buck at about 90 yards which was about the distance I sighted the scope in. I got good and ready, then it happen. I fired, the poor buck was startled and simply ran in about a 15 foot circle ending right back where he was originally. I didn't hit him, as he surprisingly went back to eating about 45 seconds after I fired at him. So again, I get him in the crosshairs and fire again, this time he decides somethings going on and trots off into the woods. I check, no blood trail, no nothing. I'm curious as can be as to whats going on so I set up a gallon jug of water, get back about 50 yards and fire, nothing! I fire again and this time I can see I'm hitting the ground about half way between me and the target, I'm laying on the ground in the prone position shooting. I checked the scope rings, everything is nice and tight. I readjust and hit the jug a couple of shots later, grab a target and get zeroed in again. Still not knowing what happened I watch everything I do when handling the weapon, when I put it back in the gun cabinet that night I watched carefully and then I saw my dumbest rookie mistake, the high see through rings! The scope hits the back of the gun cabinet. I'm easy on my weapons as I pay good money for them, but my idiot brother had gotten the 7400 out a couple of months prior to me making a deer laugh. I have a good idea of how he handles things and assume he just threw it back into the cabinet, but then again without any clearance, I could have done it as well. So I made a corner slot opening and positioned the 7400 in diagonally and the scope clears fine.

The new problem, I got the 7400 out about 6 months ago and just wanted to put some rounds through it. At first it was doing great shooting military surplus rounds, then I got cocky and wanted to hit a few eggs at 60 yards, remember, only a 3-9x40 Tasco. I couldn't hit one for anything, nothing had been adjusted or changed, same ammo, same position, just no accuracy. Shot at the paper again and was about 10" off to the upper left. Adjusted the scope and was hitting again then finally got to hit the eggs.

Got it out again about 2 months ago, same exact thing as before, hitting good and then about 10" off, to the upper right this time. Readjusted the scope and was fine for several shots. Cleaned the weapon and put it up, has not been fired since.

So my question is, does the recoil of the .30-06 affect the integrity of a $40 scope?

Or is it something else?

If it is possibly the scope due to the recoil, what do y'all recommend?
  2. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

I quit using see-thrus way back in the 70's cause they're ugly, and because they tend to place the scope higher than one's normal sight plane above the bore; but they do work satisfactorily when properly installed, and also are great for converting a scope tube into a good carry handle. So I doubt your problem is the see-thrus; but it sure is odd that your scope will zero and work OK until the next time it comes out of the gun cabinet?
    But regardless of the causative factors, the bottom line is that you now have a scope/mount combo in which you have lost all confidence; and one that is costing you opportunities at game and also running up you ammo cost. All I can relate is my own personal experience with cheap scopes, and that is that they have let me down too many times over the years so that I now use nothing but Leupold scopes. My Leupolds have never let me down; and have never lost zero, even when my rifles were banged against tree trunks, banged around on ATV's, etc. Leupold scopes also have a lifetime warranty that is transferable to 2nd, 3rd, 10th, etc, owners. Leupold scopes aren't cheap; but I never buy new; always buy used, and have yet to get a bad Leupold. Leupold scopes also hold their value if you ever decide to trade up, or sell. Best advice I can give you is to lose your Tasco; and get a good scope and quality mounts. You will be amazed at the differences in optical quality between your Tasco and a good quality optic such as a Leupold; and this is especially true in low light conditions such as dusk when game animals are prone to be moving.
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I would run the adjustments all the way up or right as the case may be and then all the way in the opposite dirrection counting the clicks. Then adjust to the center of the clicks. From this point you can take a shot and start dialing it in. As others have stated I would get a better scope, although I use $150.00 to $200.00 scopes and have pretty good luck. Also I would get a better set of rings, I don't care for the see through rings myself. Good luck on which ever course you try.
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

See thru rings work if you need to be abale to use your iron sights. If you do not plan to use the iron sights then go to a reg. ring.Did you put lock tite on the screws?.Your proublem is you are useing a scope that is not made for the impact of the 30-06.Moveing the adjustment screws will only cost you time and money.If you want to check the scope get it set in take 5 shots(If it moves and the scope is tight the scope is shot out) if it does not move hit the scope with your hand (NOT HARD) just a quick sharp hit from the side ( more of a slap not a hit ) shoot it and see if it moved.If it did then your scope is eather not set tight or it is shot out and you need a new scope.A scope should be able to take a hit (not hard) and still stay in just leaning a gun with a scope and hitting it (NOT SLAMING IT) should not knock it out.make sure your rings are the right size for the scope.But if you do not trust the scope then you could pull your shot expecting it to be off. So it is time to get a new scope.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  5. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I agree, part with a little money and get a quality scope that will withstand the blast of a 30-06 and if you're smart you'll get a brand that offers a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

Leupold, Vortex, Sightron are a few I would suggest. Even the new Redfield (made by Leupold offer a lifetime warranty.
  6. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Very good advice all. Thank you. Again, not sure what I was thinking buying a $40 scope for a $600 rifle an expecting anything less than failure from it. Definitely learned my lesson as replacing the rounds I shot zeroing in multiple times with factory ammo. leaning very close to the $1/round prices.

I was looking at scopes earlier (for a different rifle) and came across an Osprey. I read several very good ratings from buyers and the only negative ratings I found were from individuals that were partial to different brand scopes and some of them not even having owned or seen an Osprey scope before.

Osprey offers a full no fault lifetime warranty.

Any ideas on an Osprey as a replacement for the 7400?

Thanks again everyone. I'll be getting new rings on the way now.
  7. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Update: Looks like I have to get a base and new rings as the only rings I can find that mount directly to the rifle are see through. Never liked them anyways.
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Replace the scope, look at the new Redfield (made by Leupold) for about $150.00. Talk to a gunsmith about the rings and bases available for your rifle.

As far as the whole "loosing zero" please remember that this is a sporting rifle, not a target gun. OK, by that I mean that it would not be uncommon for the point of impact to change as the rifle/barrel heats up. My 742 will shoot 2 rounds well on target, the 3rd, 4th and 5th will progressively move about. If you are shooting at the range, fire 2-3 shots and allow the rifle to cool off. I have found that most of the time this allows the groups to stay consistent and helps me zero my hunting rifle with fewer rounds.

If you move the zero on your scope to match point of impact with your rifle "hot" you may well expect it to move when it has cooled off.
    This is my .02, see if it helps you.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  9. whirley

whirley New Member

I suggest you toss the see throughs, get a quality scope, solid bases and mounts. lok-tite all screws. That will save you time and ammunition, and won't let you down during a hunt. I've been hunting with the same Leupold scope for 46 years in all kinds of inclement weather, never have had it fog, lose zero or any problem. I did send it back once for service after a sling swivel let go and the rifle dropped several feet, but even with that, I continued the hunt and the scope didn't fail me. Before that I used aperature sights, very fast, but my eyes were better then.
  10. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

It takes more than a couple rounds to get the barrel so hot that the POI is off by inches. I wonder how hot your barrel would have to be to change your POI by 10 inches?

I stick by my original recommendation. Buy a quality scope.

If you want really tight groups, you should reload your own.
  11. tommixx

tommixx New Member

my brother has tasco 3x 9 he bought last year it to shot well until this year upon sighting in it moved 18 inches high to the right. i mounted it for him loctighted the bases and honed the rings. he now replaced the scope with a nikon,which i use on my rifles good scopes.I have on a 257 weatherby for 4 years not a problem. I have 3 on 30/06 also
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Get a lapping tool.

You'd be amazed how out of square rings are, and how little surface contact is made out of the box.
  13. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

More possibilities, fun. I'm no doubt going to replace the scope, rings, and add a solid mounting base. Thank you again everyone. Now the question............... what do I do with the old scope? Target practice???

Any recommendations on a particular brand of lapping tool?

Hoping to be a reloader before too long. Getting excited.
  14. langenc

langenc New Member

Old scope==dump.

Buy once-cry once, buy twice, cry twice.