Bagged my first bear!

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Country101, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Got my first black bear Friday. It was a 4.5-5 footer; probably 200-250 pounds. Killed it with my bow. Took me a couple shots, cause I nailed the last inch and a half of the shoulder blade. I'm still real proud of it, since it's my second kill. I killed a small nubbin buck last year a couple weeks after getting my bow. She had a good thick coat, so she'll make a nice rug. I've got the skull working out in some water. Anybody have any mounting tips?

Anybody else bagged a bear lately?
  2. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Congrats Country:cool:
    make sure you eat some o that bear. makes great sausage.
    Now ya need ta go javalina hunting.
    Been almost 40yrs. since i took my first bear.
    325 lb. boar outa a tree with a 357 mag. wheel gun.
    welcome to the club.:D
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

This is something i really want to do. Havent killed a bear yet. I hope i get the chance.

Hay where are the pics?
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Way to go! I woulda crapped myself if it was me. Something to be proud sure enough!
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I've got several bags of steak meat ready to cook and it made several good roasts. Sausage would have been great, but I dont have a grinder. It would have allowed me to use a lot more of the meat. I was dissappointed at the amount of meat I got off of it and what I threw away because it was too small for steaks or too fatty. What I got should be good though; she had been eating muskadine.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats on your hunt! I haven't taken a bear, but my nephew took his first one last year. Here's his comments in the email to me; he lives up in AK. "Here are Some pics of a little Cinnamon Black bear I shot Tuesday, June 3, 2008. I took it with one shot in the lungs with a 30-06 at 9:30 P.M. I'd guess it's around 5 1/2 " long, which is a puny bear, but it was exciting anyway. It tastes good, and that is what matters anyway."

Attached Files:

7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

That's awesome Wooley! That's a good looking bear. Around here, my bear is a good size one. We have some bigger ones, but they arent very common. For Alaska though they are pretty puny, but I'll take them any day,
  8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Congrats on the bear. I haven't decided if I want to try bear hunting or not. I'm in an area that is pretty thick with them and I know a lot of people hunt them around here but I'm not sure if I want to try. Great morning today, clear, calm, and 44 degrees at 6:30 am.
  9. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Congratulations on the bear! Let me know how it tastes!
  10. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Congrats Country

I have killed a couple bears myself both with a rifle and a bow. Nothing like going after it through brush on your hands and knees at dark. Just make sure you take all the fat off before you cook it.
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

congradulations. you're braver than i am to hunt bear with a bow. i'd like to try it with a handgun though
  12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Here's some picures, y'all. Sorry they aint very good. I took a couple quick ones when I borrowed the camera and when I got to where I was going to skin it I took one and the battery ran out.

John, Flannelman, y'all ought to try hunting bear. Black bear aren't aggressive, unless you happen to get around one with cubs and she feels threatened. Mine, unfortunately had a cub, but was hurt too bad to be aggressive in the least. I walked within 3 feet of it several times before I shot it the last time. I actually pulled my second arrow out before I shot it the final time. She didn't die fast enough for me, so I couldn't just stand there and wait.

Attached Files:

13. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Hey country, Let me add my congratulations to the rest.Over the years I have found that I especially like the bear meat over a charcoal BBQ with some Garlic Powder and Onion Powder dashed over it. I do have to say that I love bear Summer Sausage though. I sometimes don't even go the traditional method of seven pounds of bear and three pounds of pork. Again congratulations on a great hunt.:D catfish
  14. goldieglox

goldieglox New Member

Are there any female hunters out there?

--------------------------------------
    GoldieGlox
    www.femme45.com
  15. flannelman

flannelman New Member

I'm sure there are. My daughter is very interested in deer hunting and hopefully she will get her first deer this year.
  16. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

congrats on the kill. I'm going to give it a try next year when we move to West Virginia. My son in law has gotten two black bears there. I won't be using a bow unless I can get one like Rambo with the explosive on the end!!!!!
  17. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Quite a few out here. I'll be hunting with 3 other women this year that drew tags for the same area that I did.
  18. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Good luck on your hunt dianalv. What game did you draw tags for?