BALLARD / MERRIMACK ARMS / ????

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by TRAKS, Jun 25, 2012.

1. TRAKS

TRAKS New Member

I think I tried this previously but did not get much response. The gun has been cleaned up, the barrel use to be pitted beyond what 5 coats of rust-o-leum put on with a brush could even hide.

The only markings on this gun is the number 2300, on the brass receiver, the octagon barrel, and the lever.

The falling block has the number 518 stamped on the casting and one of the screws has the number 518 on it.

I have read every book out there, tried contacting NRA numerous times, even tried the "New Ballard Co." with no reply from either.

I know for a time pieces were used from one peiod to another, as the maunfacturer's changed hands, several times.

With this cleaned up now maybe someone can help me. One member gave me a phone number to call but I can not find that number, I believe it was a 732-...-....

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Aside from the lack of markings, the odd thing about that gun is the receiver. I have seen a few Ballards and did some cursory research and I have never seen or read about a brass frame. Everything I see and know points to iron frames on all those guns.

I might think it is an early or developmental model but the numbers seem like production serial numbers.

Jim
  3. TRAKS

TRAKS New Member

There was a period that they were made from brass, it was prior to the production for the civil war for Kentucky and New York. I do not know if it was when Dwight Chapin was hired to throw guns together from parts left over, during their high production for the war.
  4. TRAKS

TRAKS New Member

I have read both of the Bibles on the Ballard and there were 2000 made before the government contracts, but they still offered significant options to the sportsman at the same time. Dwight Chapin couldn't keep up with there end of the deal and then it went to Merrimack and Ball & Williams to take care of military
  5. hrf

hrf Active Member

Odd that a functional part like the lever would be made of brass.

Its specific origin has probably been lost forever due to 150 years of heavy rust and corrosion, and aggressive cleanup.
  6. TRAKS

TRAKS New Member

The brass only required brass cleaner when it came in, somebody either used a wire brush on it, Then they allowed it to pit so much that they required rust-o-leum with a paint brush to fill the pitted barrel.....
  7. TRAKS

TRAKS New Member

The only part of the breech that has any steel, cast is on top of the lower tang, someone determined the brass lower tang where the falling block concussion kept hitting could not take the abuse and cracked.