Ballester-Molina and Colt 1911 Interchange

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ignats, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ignats

ignats Member

I have never owned a Ballester-Molina but have seen quite a few for sale. I am under the impression some parts with swap out with a Colt M1911 or Government Model type pistol. I'm fairly certain magazines, slide stops, and possibly barrels can be used. What about the slide? Are there any other parts that can be swapped from a Colt to the B-M (oops).
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

Barrel and magazines on the one my dad has is all...
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is about it, though I think the recoil springs and plugs interchange. There is some confusion between the Argentine B-M and the Colt copies made under license in a government factory in Argentina for the Argentine armed forces. The latter are copies of the Colt, made with Colt-supplied machinery and tooling; all parts interchange with Colts. The Ballester-Molina was a private venture, and derived in most part from Spanish designs. It is simply a different gun from the Colt.

Jim