Ballester-Molina carry gun

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by wallgunner, Sep 7, 2007.

1. wallgunner

wallgunner New Member

Hey,
    Does anybody carry there Ballester-Molina as their carry concealed weapon? I have a nice one that I got for a steal. Seems to only like ball ammo, no hollow points. Anybody shoot Glasers or such out of them yet? But it's accurate and tight. Any Ballester owners out there love them enough to carry them as their first line of defense. Thanks for the help.
    Wallgunner
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I just reacquired one of my old BM's.

And no, I won't use it as a carry piece mainly for the reason you stated. They only eat ball ammo without some modifications to them.

I have other reliable1911's that I carry. The BM is a fun shooter tho.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I don't, but I would have no qualms about carrying mine. They have a great safety, and with a little work will feed anything a 1911 will.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I agree with Bill. If you clean up and polish the feed ramp, a BM should feed anything that a 1911 will.
  5. Those were Argentine built weren't they X, mostly for military use? Don't the rules specify that if you carry one, you aren't permitted to call it a .45, but must refer to it as an "11.43x23mm?" :D ;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
  6. wallgunner

wallgunner New Member

Thanks guys,
    I might just do a little work on it, and see how she does. I love these old timers ( this one was produced sometime around 1983-1940 by the serial number). MIght be old and not as up to date as other 1911, but I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks again,
    Wallgunner
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yup, PS. In 1916 Colt sold the Argentines 10,000 M1911s. In the mid-20's they wanted more of 'em for their military, but instead of just buying them from Colt, they wanted to manufacture them, themselves.

Soooo.....they paid Colt a hefty license fee.....Colt supplied the machinery (Pratt & Whitney Tool Co......not the Pratt & Whitney Aircraft that makes airplane engines....whole 'nother story there)...and sent down technicians to set up the tool & assembly lines.

These were M1911A1s license-built by DGFM-FMAP and marked "ERJECTO ARGENTINO SIST.COLT.CAL. 11.25mm MOD. 1927"......they're usually referred to as "Modelo 1927s".

I've handled and shot a bunch of Modelo 1927s, and let me tell you, these are very fine and well made pistols. As well made and finished as the Colt Gov't. Models of the time.....and that's saying a lot!

For the Ballester Molina story, see here: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/ballester.htm

One thing though.....the writeup says: " The decision was taken modify the original Browning design to facilitate and economize production along the same lines as two Spanish companies Bonifacio Echeverria, S.A. (Star) and Gabilondo y Cia, S.A (Llama). The main changes introduced by these companies were the elimination of the grip safety, a backstrap integral to the frame, and a pivoting trigger with a side mounted sear bar and disconnector. These changes, as applied to the Star Model B pistol were of particular influence to HAFDASA's designers."

That's bullmanure.....they changed the design just enough so they wouldn't gett their butts sued off by Colt for patent infringment!

However, enough rambling.....the Ballester is a fine firearm. Not quite as well made or finished as the Modelo 1927, but a rugged and very serviceable weapon.