ballester molina?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by soundguy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

Preface.

been wanting a 1911 for a long while.. but they are pretty spendy.. so just been window shopping. don't need it for carry.. just 'wanted' one.

fast forward to last year.. loaned guy at work 125$

I don't bug him muh about it but he brings it up every couple months acknowldeging the debt. out of the blue yesterday he stops by.. says he's moving to another city for better work, wants to know if I wanted one of his guns to settle up. he had some sort of cowbow wheel gun.. a SS 12g shotgun, a marlin 22lr tube feeder and this ballestr molina. told me i could pick one to settle up.

figured it was now or never.. already have 2 22lr tube feeder marlins.. nicer than his as well. have more shotguns, including SS than a sane person should own ( i have a soft spot for cheap 50$ SS and bolt action shotguns, andusually take any home from shows i can find in that $$ range... they seem to command no value, and on the last day of shows, people are more than glad to let a new haven 20g bolt gun walk for 50 cash.. so i got.. um.. PLENTY of that sort! ).. i'm not a wheelgun guy really.. and certaintly not into cowboy stuff.. so took the molina, he was happy,i guess i'm happy, wished him well, and he's leaving next week.. etc. it had a single, single stsack mag, and a box of ?aguilla? 45acp with 6 rnds missing

now.. what did i get? it looks 1911ish.. and I havn't uncrated my gun books out of the closet to look it up.

spanish copy?

is it junk? or safe? or good even?

if i take it to the range to shoot, are my buddies with 1911's going to snicker a bit?

one of us get taken here?

no rust... metal would be in the white I guess.. IE.. looks to have finish wore off. has wrigning on it.. c11 a or some such.. grips are wood.. have lines in them.. look older.. were a tad greasy in the verticle crevises i noticed :)

action seems crisp, functions smoothly.. slid release locks back with an empty mag.. release lets her crack down with a satisfying snap.. after testing that a few times, i then put in some snap caps.. seems to work as it should...went outside and i actually chamberd and ejected a few rounds... from a locked slide, insert mag, pop release, and it chambers correctly and goes into battery.. ejects (manually) fine by racking the slide.. etc. nothing feels especially loose on it...

can get pics when wife comes back from conference with camera.

no grip safety that I can see.

opinions ?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Argentine, not Spanish. Damn Good Gun. You don't want it, I'll give you your 125 dollars back. Ship it to me. Mine's looking for a friend. He tries to pal around with the Sistima, thinking, "Hey, we're both Argentine", but the Sistima thinks he's a Colt, and is kinda stuck-up.

A ballerina molester has a couple of differences. There's no grip safety, for one. The trigger kinda pivots, instead of slideding back. What you think is the serial number, up there stamped on the receiver and slide, isn't. The serial number is stamped down on what looks like it should be the mainspring housing. The barrel and the magazine are straight 1911. Nothing else will fit.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That last sentence. I meant "nothing else from a 1911 will work on a Molina".

But, standard 1911 mags work. I use stainless Shootin' Stars in mine. Work great.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You scored !! You'll find it a great gun to add to your collection. The serial number doesn't happen to start with a "B" does it? There were a few thousand that were made for Britain and they're harder to find.
  5. Munch

Munch Member

I owned one back in the early 90s and have regretted selling it since. I have nothing at all bad to say about pistol at all. I think you got one hell of a deal. If you take it out and find it not to your liking, pm me, I will double your 125.00 in a heartbeat. I don't expect to hear from you though, they are great fun, reliable, and built like tanks.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

They are designed after the Star pistols. Very good guns.
  7. soundguy

great to hear.. now i gotta go shoot it.

so gi mags will work then right? they are cheap at the pawn shops.

i'll look for the sn where indicated.
  8. soundguy

so what's this systema?
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

In 1927 Colt went down to Argentina and built a factory. Made Colt 1911A1s for the Argentine military. Then they left and the Argentines took over the factory. Still making 1911A1s. But even though they were made exactly the same, on Colt machinery, since Colt didn't own the factory any more they aren't Colts. They are Sistimas.
  10. soundguy

neat! thanks
  11. soundguy

am I correct in assuming GI surplus mags will fit? we have a pawn shop locally that has a couple cheap ones i'd like to own if they will fit.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"Sistema" just means "system"; the guns are marked "Sistema Colt" or "Colt system" indicating that they are identical to Colts, but not made by Colt.

Yes, GI surplus mags will work fine, but quite a few of the magazines being sold as "GI" are not. Some are even magazines rejected by the Army because they were not up to spec.

Jim
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  13. soundguy

i'll take look.. these are in some sort of paper crimped shut wrapper.
  14. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

For $125 you got a very good deal. I recently sold one for a lot more, and I'm missing it already! Very good shooter, but I had to thin the herd a little due to this great economy.
  15. soundguy

i'm sure that's how i came into mine.. economy forced sale.. or rather settlement .. etc... sad times..
  16. Munch

Munch Member

I had no idea of that fact, Thanks. I have a couple Star pistols that I love to shoot.