'Band of Brothers' producers have new miniseries out

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Will Plugum, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Will Plugum

Will Plugum New Member

If you were impressed with the miniseries 'Band of Brothers' then you might like to know that Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks have teamed up again to produce a new 11 part series entitled 'The Pacific'. This one follows the US Marines as they fight the pacific island wars. Premieres the evening of March 14th on HBO and continues every Sunday night after.
    I don't get HBO, I'll just make sure "Santa Claus" buys the whole shebang for me at xmas just like she did 'Band of Brothers'. ;):D
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

I am looking forward to it.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

It might be worth calling your cable or satellite provider to ask if they would do a three-month "trial" or something. Tell them you're kinda interested in HBO, but you're not sure if you think it would be worth it. The satellite providers usually will give you a bit to check it out. Who knows, you might get to watch it for free. :)
  4. Will Plugum

Will Plugum New Member

Hmmmmm. You might be on to something there.;)
  5. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I seen the first episode last night, looks like it is going to be a great series! I don't get HBO either, first episode was a direct TV promotion, so looks like i'll be in the market for a box set also.
  6. wpage

wpage Active Member

It is good!
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I don't have HBO either but purchased the companion book "The Pacific" written by Hugh Ambrose (was started by his father Stephen Ambrose). Just finished it last night. My god what a horrific experience for those young Marines. It is well worth the read.
  8. navis128

navis128 New Member

It's good...
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's Steven Spielburg and Tom Hanks......need I say more.
  10. navis128

navis128 New Member

But Tom stated and stands by his statement that WWII was racially motivated.

Although I wasn't there...I thought it was just old school power, greed, conquering, etc., but I guess I was wrong.
  11. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

It is a spectacular(sp?) program. My Dad and I watch it every Sunday. But when I saw the burns on his arm from the machine gun it made me shudder a bit.
  12. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I never heard that. What was he talking about.
  13. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Obviously, the war in the Pacific had racial overtones. This was nothing new. The West Coast papers were always trying to influence curtailing of Asian immigrants, the so-called "Yellow Peril." Things did not de-escalate when the Japanese pulled a "sneak attack" on Pearl Harbor. It was a two way street. The Japanese thought they were racially superior to the Western powers, because of their "soft" living. They had a living God-Emperor, superior to the mongrel West. We, thought of them as sub-human yellow bastards, etc. There was definitely a touch of racism in the Pacific War. To deny this would be naive. Ask an old Pacific vet what they thought of and called their enemies. To de humanize any enemy, we tend to belittle them. It was no different in S.E. Asia in the '60's. I don't remember being too respectful. TJ
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  14. wpage

wpage Active Member

With what Hanks and Spielberg did with "saving private ryan" How could they miss with this...
  15. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter New Member

I had an uncle, now gone, that was with the first Marines. We got properly squared away over a bottle of bourbon one night and the story came out-slowly at first about the Solomons. At first the stuff was funny, but about halfway through the bottle, he really opened up. By the time we got to Okinawa, it just poured out of him. His outfit NEVER took a prisoner and he hated the Japanese until the day he died. I just ordered the blu-ray set and hope to watch it this weekend. My oldest son, who is no shrinking violet, could not watch the whole series on HBO.