BAR Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by BAR in TX, Jun 26, 2008.

1. BAR in TX

BAR in TX New Member

I took my 1971 Browning Automatic Rifle .30-06 apart to clean the gas cyclinder and gas piston.

With the action bars and springs removed, I noticed that when opening the bolt, it moves freely for about 1/3 of the way and then there is a slight resistant for the next 2/3 of the way toward the butt.

Is this normal? I expected the bolt to move freely the entire range. It does not take much resistance to pull the bolt the final 2/3 of the way, but it definitely sticks at the 1/3 mark.

Thanks for the help. Great forum.

DJ.
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

BAR in TX, First off, Welcome to the forum!!!

Could it be that what you are feeling is the hammer being cocked and/or the face of the hammer as it drags on the bottom of the bolt under spring tension. If I am right, you should be able to see how the parts inter-relate enough to see if this is true. Hope this helps. Best reguards Kirk
  3. BAR in TX

BAR in TX New Member

300 H&H

You are right. The resistance I felt was the cocked hammer rubbing against the bottom of the bolt. When the hammer is not cocked, there is resistance right from the start.

Thanks for your quick and knowledgable response. Now I can put my rifle back to together with peace of mind.

DJ