bargin scope?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by da357mag, Oct 26, 2009.

1. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Im getting a cz 452 lux next week and I am going to scope it. I have experence with bushnell, I have a 3-9x40 on an air rifle and am quite pleased with it. Now where I am getting this rifle the clerk told me he had a centerpoint scope, it is a 4-16x40AO he got at wallyworld for about $70
    bucks, he's got it on a rifle( he didn't say what brand) in .300 rem mag,
    so I guess I wouldn't have to worry abuut recoil! Anyway I have never heard of centerpoint, and was wondering if you all have, I will be happy to hear what you all have.
  2. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

I have one of those I've used on my RWS/Hammerli 850 - CO2/HPA. It's a decent mil-dot scope. Recoil on a .22 is very mild compared to an air rifle - I would think it would be OK. Frankly, I'd hesitate to put one on much stronger than that. You might also look at a BSA 3-12x airgun scope - I've used one on my RWS 52 (magnum springer) for a year and a half - rock solid.
  3. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Thanks I have a a gammo and I thought about trying one on it as the packeging says
    it will take a recoil up to a .416 Rigby, but them agin im aware of the different recoil
    of a springer air rifle! The bushnell I have on it now will work and I think I will try the center point on the .22. Thanks
    DA
  4. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Center Point is made by Crosman. I've read comments on various forums ranging from they are a terrific value to what a POS. Not much help I guess. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. Goggle "Center Point scopes" and see what pops up.
  5. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Actually, you'd probably have better luck with "centerpoint scopes". And I don't think that Crosman makes them. I believe they are made in China and sold by a Crosman subsidiary.
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

True
  7. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Buncha nitpickers. :p
  8. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

if the scope is 70 dollars that is exactley what you are getting. I have seen them at meijer and wal marts on the shelves but i have to say i would never use one.
  9. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Maybe you should rethink that decision. It ain't a bad scope. I used one for airgun Field Target this year - that's a rather demanding sport - and it worked fine. You don't need to spend $1000 to get a decent scope.
  10. Win73

Win73 New Member

Let me tell you about my bargain scope. I was in my favorite gun shop one day. He had a bunch of 4 power fixed scopes on sale. The brand was Rocky Mountain Optics. He had them marked for $15. I figured that if you could see through it at all it was worth $15. I bought one figuring I would stick it on one of my .22 rifles. However I had gotten my .50 caliber muzzleloader and it was about time for deer season. I stuck it on the .50 cal and tried it out. It seemed to do all right when I zeroed it. I then killed a nice buck on opening day of muzzleloader season. I know I should get a better scope but that one is still doing just fine and it is about time for deer season to open again. So maybe next year.
  11. G-Mann

G-Mann Member

Bought a Marlin 881 with a Tasco scope back in 1994. Could not hold a group. Went through a list of finding the problem. At first I thought that I just needed more practice. I ended up taking a chance and bought a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 fixed. Problem solved! :)
  12. kansas45

kansas45 New Member

The Center Point 4-16x40 is not a POS. I have three of them. Two are on .22 rifles & used regulary. The third has been mounted on a AR15, .223 & .308 Tikka's & several .22 rifles. It is about to find a home on my Remmy 522 Speedmaster.
  13. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Thanks for the imput, everybody I think the rifle is going to have tha wally world
    scope after all! Im glad to hear good things (or bad) about new products. Saves money
    in the long run! DAM
  14. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Buy it from a place that will let you return it. Take a good hard look through it before you mount it and decide.....
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I bought a Center Point 3x9x32 AR22 Series; red/green illuminated Mil-Dot Recticle for my Ruger 77/22 and bought it at wally world for $54 and never used one before. And it came with the rings and the flip-open covers.
    IMO I'd like to put one on every 22 rifle I own...totally impressed! Mine says as well it is tested up to a .416 Rigby...however havent gone that far "yet" consider the field of view. For a 22 cal. I would highly recomend it.
  16. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

The instruction on how to do this is explained in a fair amount of detail in the User manual for 4-16X scope.

It is describing how to reset your knob to the zero mark, for your favorite shooting range. Re-read the manuals instructions again if you haven't already. If you don't understand, come back asking a specific question about what in the manual seems confusing to you and I'm sure someone will help.

The zero locking is a method of preventing the scopes adjustments from accidentally being turned in the field. From picture in manual, the zero locking ring is the inner ring closest to main scope tube. Obviously you must loosen this zero lock to be able to make adjustments (so the adjustment w/e outer knobs turn), but according to instruction, it must be in lock position INITIALLY to reset the turrets to zero.

So to reset knobs to zero mark, following the owner manuals instructions....
    1. Turn the inner locking ring clockwise until locked (warnings about not overtightening)
    2. Loosen hex screw in center of knob by rotation clockwise
    3. Now adjustment knobs can freely rotate, move knobs so your main mark is at zero.
    4. Unloosen the inner lock ring (turn counter clockwise), that we previously tightened in step (1)
    5. Now carefully tighten down hex nut making sure adjustment knob does not move.
    6. Done. You can relock inner locking ring if you wish.

If people would pay attention to the manual and learn from it, they wouldn't break the scopes.

Unfortunately, most morons will screw up and twist the knobs without unlocking them first, causing the internals to break. That's the source of 95% of problems with CP scopes. That's also why you never buy one from an opened package.

The other part is the rings. Chuck 'em and get Weaver/Leupold/Good Quality Rings. High or See-thru sets like the Weaver 49515 work wonderfully :)

My 4-16x40 has been performing perfectly on top of a Marlin 25MN (.22WMR) for over two years now.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  17. ToolsForPros

ToolsForPros New Member

Seen this happen way too many times, even with expensive scopes. It's sad when people that have the money for a $2K scope, they dont have the competency to learn how to use it.

+1
    The weakest link in a shooting system is the mount. The same people with the expensive scopes have $10 rings. :cool:
  18. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

my Brno-2500, 452 has a Nikon omega 2x7x40.
    $165 from cabalas 2 years ago. it was a $229 list on special. size is smallish, glass is clear and color & contrast are about perfect.
    if you need more power than 9 at 100 yards, use a spotting scope.
  19. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Im back, was out of town for awile, I finally got my rifle last sat and today I got into
    it and changed the sear, put in an automation unit and spring. I will tell you that was
    a new experence! I had a good ol'e time getting that little ball and spring to coperate!
    It took a while and alot of cussing but I got it in! Well it works great, I had about3/32
    of an inch creep before and it all adjusted out! The pull is still heavier than I like, I don't
    have a pull guage(yet) but im thinking it's about 4lbs. I would like to get it down to about
    1.5 or so. The sear was a bit pricy $66.00 at brownells but if you want to get all the creep out it's the way to go! tommarrow the scope, and yes I did get the centerpoint!
    LOL, after all I read here, it was more good than bad so ill give it a try. I've looked thru it
    at 16x and it is still nice and clear, so we'll see what tomarrow brings, thanks for all the
    imput, Ill let you know how and if it fits.