The Firearms Forum banner

Barnes bullets

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RichR 
#1 ·
The new American has a great article about Barnes Bullets(mostly X).Article bring up a question about copper fouling. Has anyone here used these bullets for any length of time? Any fouling problems? Accurate? Do they work well with all caliber ammo-Weatherby ammo? Questions on a beautiful fall day!!

#2 ·
How old was this article?
The term "X" bullet has been replaced with several different bullets with "X" in the name.
TSX
TTSX.
LRX.

I don't know about the Old "X" bullets, but I shoot a lot of TTSX out of my Grendel. These bullets do not Copper foul any more than any other jacketed bullets I have fired out of this rifle.

I also shoot the TTSX out of my Ruger Mini-30 without Copper fouling issues as well.

#3 ·
How long would you consider long-term? I ran the original Barnes 100gr "X" bullets in my .25-06 from '95 through '06 when I ran out of that bullet and it was discontinued.
Yes, the load I was using did foul a little more than a regular jacketed bullet, but nothing that I ever considered excessive. It cleaned easily with any of the common copper fouling removers. I use either Sweet's7.62 or Barnes CR-10 for cleaning.

As for the newer Triple-Shock X (TSX, TTSX, LRX) bullets with the anti-fouling grooves that mseric mentioned, they don't foul any worse than any of the jacketed bullets that I use. Same cleaning regimen as with any other jacketed bullet. I alternate between a regular bore cleaner and a copper cleaner until I get clean patches.

My loading experience with the original Barnes X or the newer TSX styles is similar to loading any other bullets. Some rifles will like em and some won't.
My .25-06 really liked the old flat-base original, but not the newer TSX boat-tails. (It turns out it really doesn't do well with most other boat-tails either).
Dad's .270 and my .270 both aren't real finicky about the TSX style bullets...They both do reasonably well accuracy wise (acceptable for 200yd deer hunting) with the same load so I haven't fine-tuned a load for either rifle yet.

#4 ·
Last year, I had a chance to fire off a couple of boxes of 243 reloads using Barnes bullets.
Even though it was just 60 rounds or so, I didn't see much in the way of fouling. In fact the fouling was no better or worse than any normal bullet.

Where I did see a huge difference was in the performance of the bullets was in actual hunting.
I shot a medium sized buck at about 125 yards and the buck dropped in it's tracks. It was a good heart/lung shot. But the bullet did not go all the way through the animal. There was no exit wound.
One of the other members of out hunting party also shot a large doe with exactly the same results.

I've always perfered to see both an entrance and an exit wound on something I shoot ,but this was something a little different . I also shoot herd animals like caribou and have on ocation have shot through two animals with one bullet. I think the Barns bullets we be perfict in resolving that situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.