barnes bullets ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by teddybaham, Apr 28, 2009.

1. teddybaham

teddybaham New Member

i have a good source to get barnes bullets at a good price, but i dont know which ones to get. the ones i looked at are the tsx bullets. but i also found some without the three indentions and are smooth sided. are these the older ones? from what i read tsx's are the way to go or the ttsx's even better. what about the ones with the tungsten core?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, the ungrooved ones are the old-style "X-Bullet". The TSX (Triple Shock X-bullet) is the new version. Some sizes are still available in the original X-Bullet style, but most are now the TSX variety.

Like with the original X-Bullet, I've had pretty good luck with the new TSX in some rifles. Some barrels like em and some don't...that's an individual case "try-it-n-see" thing for pretty much each rifle.

I haven't any of the new tipped or tungsten core bullets yet...can't comment on em, but I suspect it's the same thing. Either your rifles will like em or they won't.

My personal experience:
    Don't try using Barnes right off the bat in a new barrel unless it has a very slick bore. They'll foul like crazy until the bore is polished up. Barnes CR-10 or Sweet's 7.62 bore cleaners will be your best friend to get that copper fouling out!!!
    I think I put about 500 rounds through my 77MkII .25-06 before I could shoot more than 20 rounds without some major copper fouling. Now I can run at least 100 rounds through it before I get fouling bad enough to affect groups.
    My CZ550 6.5x55 is looking to be the same way, it's a fairly fresh bore (about 200 rounds through it) and is still fouling very quickly when I shoot Barnes through it.
    In my old 6mm Ackley (Hart barrel), I didn't notice that Barnes fouled the barrel any worse than any "regular" jacketed bullet.

Is this source online or local? If they've still got some of the old .257 100gr flat-base X-Bullet, I'd be interested in buying as many as I can get my hands on. They no longer make a .257 100gr flat-base bullet, just the boat-tail version...and I can't get that one to group worth a darn in my Ruger.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Barnes are really great bullets. Revolutionary bullets. Be ready to clean more copper fouling as the copper is softer than regular bullets. Barnes sells a special cleaner for this. Be ready to buy the Barnes load manual-it's excellent. Their bullets are super accurate, & they are great on game.
  4. teddybaham

teddybaham New Member

i can look and see next time i go in that store. ill get you a price and there # and they may ship them
  5. teddybaham

teddybaham New Member

id like to run these in my new browning 300 wsm. has 20 rounds through it so far. has any one noticed more fouling in a stainless barrel?
    according to there site the barnes bullets with the tsx cut wont foul as much, stateing they even foul less than regular copper jaceted bullets
  6. Bindernut

Stainless or black, doesn't seem to make a difference from my experience.

The biggest factor I've seen is how polished up the rifle's bore is...or if there is any (even miniscule) pitting in the barrel of a previously abused rifle. I've seen some recommend having a barrel lapped to polish it up but I'm just not a fan of lapping a barrel. Seems to be just an accelerated form of wearing out the rifling.

I'd say they're worth a try anyway. With a brand new rifle like yours you'll probably still find that most any bullet will foul a bit more than it will in a "broke-in" barrel until you get several hundred rounds through it.
  7. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Any thoughts on the non-Barnes copper solids?
  8. Bindernut

The Barnes X-bullet series are the only full-copper ones that I've mucked around with.
    The Trophy Bonded Bear Claw has a similar jacket material as Barnes uses of softer copper instead of standard gilding metal...it seems to work very similar to the Barnes solid/X in that it does foul a little more than a regular bullet jacket. But I've only loaded & fired a little under a hundred of these so I don't have a lot of experience with em.

Anyone else?