barrel bushing failure

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/17/01 12:37:50 am)
    barrel bushing failure
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    well, about 30,000 rds in 8yrs, and this Sat., while at the range for 'anti-terrorist training', I had my second bushing failure:

The forward part of the bushing separated from the collar portion (that surrounds the barrel), jamming the piece.

It was a solid bushing, fit by a gunsmith after the first / orignial bushing failed. The stock barrel was turned to ensure roundness / even-ness, and the bushing had a very snug fit.
    I have no clue of the manf of the part, so can't provide that info.

The original prong-type bushing also lasted about 8 yrs, but significantly fewer rounds, maybe approaching 10,000.

So my question is this: What's the concensus on repairing the piece?
    I can find no other visible damage or abnormal wear (after first concernedly dismantling the weapon - there was some worry that there was still a round in the chamber).
    Should this just be a matter of having a new solid bushing fit to the barrel?

Anyway, thought I'd 'share'

Rich

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (9/17/01 6:10:39 am)
    Reply Re: barrel bushing failure
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scrap the old bushing and fit a new one. I've never seen a solid bushing come apart that way.

AntiqueDr
    (9/17/01 8:48:51 am)
    Mike the muzzle end of the barrel as well. The only time I've seen one come apart is when a barrel got a slight bulge from an obstruction. The gun went into battery, but the next round caused a similar bushing problem. You might want just a wee more tolerance in the bushing/barrel fit.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    (9/17/01 9:06:35 am)
    That's a strange one. I've put a lot of rounds thru 1911s and never saw a barrel bushing fail.

gunny6
    (9/17/01 10:52:48 am)
    I see bushing failures on pistols with, " Dragon Fire Recoil" systems installed, seems they work fine if you also use their bushing type comp..but they sure can bust up standard bushings...stay with a stock guide rod.....

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/17/01 12:47:41 pm)
    Re: barrel bushing failure
    Thank you all for your responses.
    Further inspection of the bushing makes me think it was cast, and not milled (the body has a slight pebbled texture to it).
    Don't know if the major brands are milled, assuming so.

The piece was also fitted with a Wilson full-length guide rod, Wolf(?) 19lb spring, and a Shok Buff.

And for background, I primarily shoot full-house reloads, and the last few years have been filled with IPSC competition and lots of 2-300 round speed drill practice sessions.

Probably just going with Wilson's replacement part:
    www.wilsoncombat.com/acce...sories.asp
    and having it installed by the smiths at King's (they are only 30mi away).

Rich

davem3
    (9/21/01 12:10:53 am)
    I had one new bushing that I fit too tight lock up when the barrel got hot and expanded but have never seen one break but cast parts can have tiny flaws that develop into cracks over time and it's hard to tell. Since it broke during anti- terrorist training, guess you can say "shite happens"!

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/6/01 9:44:48 am)
    Confession time...

I built my gun for competion with solids, and every barrel change of course fit another...

Except for the 5" stock Series 70 barrel I bought from a friend after he had it built into a 6"...been shooting it with the factory collet I got with it since '85 or so, granted I got out of IPSC and Action Pistol in '88, and at least 1/2 of my rounds through the gun during that period were through my 6" Barsto with solid and compensator I built up for Action for use with opticals, BUT I used it as a 5" for IPSC and carry...

It still has the collet today, and it's going fine...

I estimate 20,000 mixed IPSC full house lead SWCs, hardball, and some lighter NRA AP SWCs through it no problem since I switched back to the collet...

Am I the only one who LIKES collet bushings?
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/7/01 5:03:00 pm)
    well, went into King's yesterday, picked up one of their 'oversize' solid bushing, and after a couple hours yesterday even and a bit this morning, have it fitted.

Probably a bit too tight, will find out when I get the pistol 'hot' .

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (10/7/01 6:32:26 pm)
    Polishshooter, now I know two people who like collet bushings. I had a finger break off years ago and lock up a pistol , so I haven't used one sense. Good luck with yours.

polishshooter
    (10/7/01 9:05:23 pm)
    I've heard many people SAY it could happen, or that they knew a guy who knew a guy who had it happen, but you are actually the FIRST that I now know it happened to first hand.

I imagine it COULD fail, but then at the top of this thread is a picture of a SOLID that failed too...

I STILL think bushing failure MAY be a symptom of another problem, not necessarily the bushing itself...just my theory.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/7/01 9:53:21 pm)
    Reply make that two people
    Polish, my series 80 started life with a collet-type bushing, one of the bottom prongs broke off some time during a shooting session, and chewed the heck out of the original spring and guide during the rest of the session (pistol continued to function, had no clue until disassembling the piece for cleaning).

That's 2 broken bushings for me, in the 16 yrs I've shot the piece.

Only thing that stands out about my habits is my tendency to routinely shoot 100-200 rds per session (rather than 50?), to shoot 230gr RN (or equiv full-strength rounds), and to perform a lot of rapid-fire drills.

polishshooter
    (10/8/01 8:30:23 am)
    Reply Re: make that two people
    I went to the collet in the middle of my "biggest" IPSC a PPC/LAPD Swat LEO, only league and hitting odd matches in others, playing in NRA Action Pistol as well as an informal "Pin League," and "Plates for Money" every chance we got. We shot a minimum of 1000/week for about 40 weeks that year, it usually was 300 rounds each practice, Mon-Wednesday-Saturday, (Fridays too before big matches) all IPSC full-house 200 gr LSWCs...all leading up to the Ohio IPSC Sectional and the Ohio State Action Pistol Championships....

The only reason we didn't shoot EVERY day is we had to reload...

Our wives NEVER saw us...oh yeah, I was the only one that stayed married, now that I remember it...

And I'm still shooting that collet, maybe I'm just lucky.

Listening to you guys, though, is making me consider fitting another NM solid....

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 10:05:54 pm)
    if it ain't broke DON'T fix it!

(but buy a solid and stash it away for later, anyway )

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/12/01 4:49:53 pm)
    speaking of fixing things, I installed my new King's solid bushing myself last night, just got back from the range and it's working perfectly.
    Trick was to remove just enough metal (it was an oversize gunsmithing-required part) for a snug fit at the muzzle, with out it being so snug it would seize under thermal expansion.
    Took forever to get the fit by hand, but it worked!

'Course, at the range I was watching over my shoulder the whole time for this:

Edited by: rayra at: 10/12/01 5:50:44 pm

polishshooter
    (10/13/01 8:42:52 pm)
    Well, if you DID see it I'd let you ignore a couple of flyers...definitely would make me jerk the trigger a few times...