Barrel cleanup

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by packet, Mar 6, 2005.

1. packet

packet New Member

Ok, I think I saw a thread on this forum a while back concerning the cleanup of a dark bore. I kave an excellent K98 Russian capture in 8mm. Only problem is that the bore is dark. It has very strong rifling. Ive tried hoppes #9 and a stainless brush. Its still dark. I thought I remembered someone talking about using Brasso with good results. Any suggestions?
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    You can also try JB's Bore Polish. I get it from Brownell's. It is a non-embedding polish (the compound uses rounded particles that don't bite into the metal) to smooth and clean the bore.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

packet:

You may be beating a dead horse!

The "dark" bore that won't brighten up with cleaning has micro pits in it and will never be as new. The pits shear the copper off the bullet jacket so these barrels are copper fouling prone. But, shoot it. Sometimes these dark bore shoot fine.

I have a Mauser I bought years ago. It too had a dark bore which would not cleanup (not powder fouling but pitted bore). I found a shinny bore replacement barrel, had it fitted, and it shoots the same as with the dark bore orignial barrel. It turn out the original barrel shot like all Mausers.

So just shoot it. 1 to 2 inch groups at 50yds with open sights (assuming your eyes and shooting can handle it) is what I am getting out of my Mauser with tailored hand loads (powder weight choosen by experiment to get the smallest groups). I consider that excellent for a military gun. Maybe others can make theirs do better?

LDBennett
  4. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I would get rid of the abrasive cleaners. You're going to wear out that bore from scrubbing it too much. Try the electric method first. This is one way of doing it, and is reputed to work wonders on a dark bore: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

After you've done that, then you should think about using fine abrasives to smooth the metal back down. Firelapping is probably better than anything else, though. I know a lot of people like JB Bore Paste and all the other stuff, but that's like trying to clean a dirty window with Comet cleaner. Using abrasives in a bore are going to eventually wear out the bore. For simple cleaning, use chemicals and let them do the work. Don't rely on scrubbing or swabbing or any other mechanical action.

The electric bore cleaner will generally get your bore as clean as it's going to get, without scratching the inside. Just don't do it too long.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Hey Hardhead! :D

Thanks for posting that one Toby...As it turns out I've been looking for that site every since my puter went down and I lost ALL my data several weeks ago.

Crpdeth
  6. packet

packet New Member

My thanks to all for the info. I believe I will build an electric bore cleaner and give it a try. I just love gadgets.