1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Barrel coating and projectile coating with hBN

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zfk55, Apr 2, 2010.

1. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Anyone here doing it yet? If so, what is your methodolgy?
    Thanks

zfk55
  2. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

zfk55, I have never used hbn but i use ws2 on my bullets and barrels to help slow down the wear on the barrels. And it has also helped with the accuracy in a few of my older rifles as will. I wouldn't be with out the ws2 any more. Untell you try the hbn out for your self and do some testing with it youl never know. Good luck with it and let us know what you fined out ok.
  3. mikld

mikld Active Member

OK, I be ignert. Pray tell, what's ws2 and hbn?
  4. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Sorry for the confusion. I was asking if anyone here besides me is using it. My son and I have been doing it for a year now and literally every rifle in the armoury has had it's barrel stripped, treated and burnished. Not one bullet here goes downrange that isn't impact coated.
    Besides group sizes being cut in half, these rifles can expect a double or even triple barrel life. Many of our rifles are Swiss rifles and barrels are scarce, expensive and a bear to remove and re-install. The barrel on our zfk55 Sniper rifle is just about impossible to replace.

Mikld, hBN is Hexagonal Boron Nitride, a negative 5 to negative 7 micron lubricant used in firearm barrels from .17Bee, 22-250 and right up to howitzer and tank sized barrels.
    One pound (minimum purchase) is guaged enough to treat a nominal 30,000 30 caliber projectiles.

If anyone would like to learn the sequence I can post it here.

zfk55
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  5. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Mikld, ws2 is Tungsten Disulfide made by the same compy. that makes moly coating for bullets. I've have done alot of testing with it over a couple years and wouldn't think of not useing it. I have found over the years if some thing sounds good i want to try out. Ill make up some kind of test to try and see if it dose what it said it should do.

I bought a savage 204 HB that shot pretty good after i came up with a load it liked. So this is a test i tryed with the ws2 to see how much it would help with accuracy and wear on the barrel.

I wanted to see how meany rounds i could put through the gun with out cleaning it and what kind of accuracy i would end up with. This was over about 10 weekends of shooting. I shot 128 rounds, the gun was shooting in the mid 1s, i run a dry patch through the barrel at 64 rounds then shot the rest of the test. And i could stell get groups in the high 3s at the end of the test. This ws2 started out as for helpping to keep wear down on machinery. then some one started useing it in gun barrels. I've got close to 4000 rounds through my 204 now and it is stell shooting great for me.

It is easy to coat your bullets with and i run a patch with it on through the barrel be for i shot it also. and it wont build up like moly coating in a barrel will if you don't get it all out.

I have pill bottles that have about 1/3 bbs like for a bb gun and they are big enough to put about 100 bullets in. then just a very little bet of ws2in with the bullets. then i put the bottle in my tumbler for about 2hrs. and they are done. now when i got my ws2 i got 7 0z only to see if it would work. I have 7 rifles i use it for and i must stell have about 3or 4oz. left yet it last a long time. When i got the ws2 it cost me $5.00 an oz. it's not cheep but i wouldn't be with out it any more.
  6. mikld

mikld Active Member

Searched the web for Tungsten Disulfide and Hex Boron sulfide, very interesting. I have heard it is not a good idea to shoot moly and non moly bullets through a molly treated barrel. Are there any restrictions like this for hbn or ws2? Or could you direct me to info relating to using these two for firearms applications?
  7. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Ready for a long-winded and in-depth explanation? Well..... I won't post it here, but these are the links to the full explanations, shooting tests and results. My Dad and I have worked with hBN for a solid year on a daily basis.
    This link is the latest one.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/7581

And these are a record of what we went through to get where we now are.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/7135

And this one is a long read but gives you everything you need to make a decision for yourself. We do have one Moly dedicated rifle, but everything else we have is hBN barrel treated and fires only hBN coated projectiles.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/7049

And if you do have a rifle you'd like to try with Moly, this one showing our process might interest you. We were pretty much forced into it becuase of a specific rifle we purchased.

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/7353

Its a long read, but if you're serious its worh learning from our mistakes and successes.

zgk55
  8. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Try this www.lowerfriction.com they will tell ya every thing ws2 can be used for. And i see it came down to $45.00 a pound now. Hope this has help you out some.
  9. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

There are more than that, Lee and they do seem to be competitive. We buy various compounds for projectile casting and impact coating from from a number of different sources for use here in the shop at Swiss Products.

http://www.micronmetals.com/
    http://sandblastingabrasives.com/contact-us.html?action=success

And if you're really into hard-casting projectiles that can be cast as hard as a FMJ, you'll need Antimony
    http://www.usantimony.com/
    Strangely enough they turned out to be no more than 60 miles from us and the're the only Antimony specialty company in the US.

zfk55
  10. Tanker6

Tanker6 New Member

Antimony? Ain't that sumpthin' ya pay yer X ta say away from ya? ;)

Thanks for the informative reading. I can say that I've learned something new today! :cool:
  11. mikld

mikld Active Member

Thanks gentlemen! I now have a new project to look into!