Barrel fitting questions

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 6, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

shooter22
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/01 9:11:35 pm)
    Reply Barrel fitting questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok guys, I have pretty good skills in metal working, but almost no tools, like lathe, mill, and such. All i have are files, dremel tool, and die grinders. Now my question, How do you first go about fitting a barrel for a 1911. I have to fit the lugs, feet, and ramp(para ordnance). I know what the lugs and ramp are, but what are the feet? Is this very hard? Is it something I can do with files and small precise grinders? Or is this work best left to a qualified gunsmith?

shooter22

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/23/01 9:31:33 am)
    Reply Re: Barrel fitting questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends, 22, I fit an expensive custom BarSto to mine years ago, was not that hard...and I did it with good files, and a cheap Dremel, in a hotel room one night with a vise clamped on the night-stand!

I'd have to check, it's been years, but I BELIEVE the feet are the bottom of the lugs.

The biggest thing I had to do if I remember is relieve the the back of the lugs, the concave side with a half round file, to get the slide stop pin to go through the link, and allow lock-up, and it was a combination of relieving the lug and the oversized link. And when I got it to fit tightly, I then just POLISHED the slide stop pin and it worked fine...

The trick is to keep the link tight, without being too tight to cause malfunctions.

Personally, I found fitting the bushing harder than the barrel...

Just remember, it's a HELLUVA lot easier to take off just a little bit more metal, than to put it back ON if you take off too much...

An old sage told me this years ago, but I still had to learn it for myself...

Take it a little at a time, constantly putting it back together and checking fit, DON'T be surprised if it seems like you do it a hundred times or more before it's right....that means you are doing it RIGHT.
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 10/23/01 10:37:43 am

AntiqueDr
    (10/23/01 8:48:19 pm)
    The lugs are the ribs on top of the barrel where it locks into the slide. The feet are the two knobs that stick down from the bottom of the barrel.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    (10/25/01 11:14:01 pm)
    HHhhhmm...I've never refered to those locking "lugs" as THE barrel lug...but have many times heard the "lug" and "link" referred together....and I've never heard the term "feet."

But then again, I'm 20 years behind the times...

I'll dig out my old books for nomenclature.

Anyway, you should not have to touch the "lugs" on top of the barrel, I never had to, just the "lug" underneath

And one other thing, the "hood" on a truly custom barrel MAY need to be fit to allow proper lock-up, too, but RARELY with a "stock" barrel. It used to be hot to weld up a barrel hood extension, then file down for precise fit, but I never understood the reason. Clark used to do this years ago I think.
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Xracer
    (10/26/01 9:05:47 am)
    I've been playing with these things for about 40 years, and never heard of "feet" either.

Could it (they) be something associated with a guide rod?

Edited by: Xracer at: 10/26/01 10:11:53 am

polishshooter
    (10/26/01 10:08:59 am)
    So X, what do YOU refer to as the "lug" or "lugs?"

I never claimed to be a pistolsmith, BUT I know about and have done enough with my own .45 to get me in trouble...

shooter22
    (10/26/01 4:18:12 pm)
    this is a quote from an email sent to me. this is from a amn that is making race guns here in MO.

Hello Kevin,
    My recommendation for changing your gun to a 10mm would be to buy
    another 40 cal. barrel from Para and chamber it for 10mm. As a
    matter of fact I'm building a 10mm racegun for a customer doing
    this very thing. You will find this to be the least expensive way
    to go.
    If you have trouble getting a new Para barrel let me know as I can
    get one for you through Para.
    As for spring weight yes it will need to be changed and this will
    depend more on the loads you are planing on shooting in the gun.
    When fitting a barrel normally you have to fit the feet, hood, and
    top lugs.
    If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me

shooter22

AntiqueDr
    (10/26/01 4:26:01 pm)
    Exactly as I said.

Old-school match barrels were oversized in the lugs (where it locks to the slide), the hood, and the feet. All are supposed to go into battery precisely the same way every time for match accuracy. CNC machining being what it is today, you rarely have to mess with the top lugs anymore - but you should check them for excessive play within the slide mortises.

www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    (10/26/01 7:27:29 pm)
    Well, hey, at least we all agree on the hood...don't we?

Xracer
    (10/27/01 9:28:15 am)
    Polish......I've always thought that the "lugs" were the ribs on top of the barrel where it locks into the slide.

Still don't know what the "feet" are, though. Could it be that protrusion on the bottom of the barrel that the link pin goes thru?

AntiqueDr
    (10/27/01 9:30:07 am)
    Ray? RRRRRAaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy?

www.apaxenterprises.com