barrel length

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 3-tours, Sep 21, 2009.

1. 3-tours

3-tours New Member

i want to cut a 4' colt police special barrel down to detective length both have exposed cartridge ejector rods.i do not have a lathe but i do have just about every kind of jewelers tools imaginable.diamond saws diamond grinding wheeles and burrs ,mikes calipers depth mike veriable speed foredom,you name it. i can cut or bore to lathe tolerences.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would recommend buying a new barrel for it, save the trouble and hassle. If you ever want to put it back to original configuration, you can. I've never looked into this in depth, but I think putting a new shorter barrel on it is feasible.
  3. shootstr8er

shootstr8er New Member

cent fl.the mouse is 30 miles north.and tampa 60 m
    i may be stupid,:but what is a leath???
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Lathe. Typo.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got a 4" Police Positive Special. I've also got a Dick Special 3" barrel. Bought it with intention of doing a barrel swap. Discovered that the shorter barrel will require a shorter ejector rod, also.

If you cut, or replace with a different one, your barrel from a 4 to a 2 inch, I believe you will also find that the gun will look funny unless you also replace the rod.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Remounting the front sight on those old colts is an issue as well. Look on the numerica web site for a new BBL and Det Sp ejector rod.
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

cutting a up a colt is the last thing anyone should want to do. sound advice given so far, get a dick special barrel 2inch and a shorter ejector rod and swap them out.
  8. 3-tours

3-tours New Member

thanks for all replies. new barrel and rod sounds best.do they still make them? or where can i order one. will they require a ffl drop?
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

no ffl required for a barrel and ejector rod. try numrich arms i think their web site is www.e-gunparts.com . now the bad news, unless you have the proper tools have a gun smith install the new barrel. it isn't as simple as unscrewing the old one and installing the new one. ok maybe it is that simple but i've seen some pretty handy guys destroy a handgun attempting to do it themselfs.