Barrel problem

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

shooter45 us
    (3/20/01 11:16:47 am)
    Reply Barrel Problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had a customer come by yesterday and bring a Colt Gold Cup NM Series 80 pistol. He had put 50 rounds through it and never shot a decent group. The best I could do was about 6" @ 25 yds.Frame/ slide fit was OK. Trigger could use some work, but not bad.I checked and cleaned the barrel, looked ok. Shot more groups, same result. I had another barrel laying around and installed it with the same bushing and link. I stepped the hammer a couple of times and that seemed to help. Went back out to the range and using the same ammo, shot 3" groups. Now, what's up with that. Could the barrel actually be that bad ? The link legs are OK. The barrel hood fit is OK. Could it be the barrel crown ? Anyone know ?

Xracer
    (3/20/01 4:35:32 pm)
    Reply Re: Barrel Problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've never heard of a Gold Cup NM that shot that bad.

Is the barrel/bushing loose? Is the link pin hole elongated? Are the locking lugs rounded? What's the bore look like....lands & grooves look OK?

Strange one. When you find what the problem is, please let us know.

TYRVR
    (3/20/01 4:46:49 pm)
    Ship it back to Colt, I had A Friend that bought A new Series 80 Gold Cup, took it to the range, fired it once and nearly broke His wrist, this top of the line gun had A .440 smooth Barrel in it, no riflings at all! would have made A great skeet gun, but was no fun at all with full power U.S.A. ball,

shooter45 us
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/21/01 12:26:19 am)
    Everything inside the barrel looks good. All lock up points are OK. The only thing it can be is the barrel crown.I'm going to check it. The guy wants a Kart NM barrel installed so it's no big deal. It sure is strange though.

TYRVR
    (3/21/01 5:27:44 am)
    WOW! talk about gaining rank Fast! look at the Title Shooter Got in the period between postings! Do I salute?...or is A simple Curtsey okay?

Rons Toys
    (3/21/01 7:03:42 am)
    Shooter,
    I think the problem is with the lenght of the link pin, this will affect how well the barrel will lock up to the slide. A lot of people look at the slide to frame fit but it is not as important IMO as the barrel to slide fit. As long as the barrel and slide don't lock up the same each time you will get impact points all over because you can't repeat. I may be wrong but it works for me.
    Ron

shooter45 us
    (3/21/01 7:41:48 am)
    Ron, I did the short/long link check first. It is in acceptable factory limits.
    [link=http:/pub49.ezboard.com/bthefirearmsforumTheFirearmsForum[/link]

Xracer
    (3/21/01 7:56:04 am)
    Hey Ty.....I think we're supposed to genuflect (crossing yourself is optional).

Can ya imagine the title Tac is thinking up for himself........

TallTLynn
    (3/21/01 8:58:47 am)
    Now, now you two nothing wrong with Shooter's new title (at least I don't think there is).

shooter45 us
    (3/21/01 11:22:41 am)
    LTS, good point . Thanks

Zigzag2
    (3/25/01 7:28:27 am)
    Well who would have thunk it?... A BOGUS Colt NM. I used it for Bullseye. A prize possesion. Till it was STOLEN!!!

shooter45 us
    (3/28/01 12:46:06 am)
    Got the Kart NM barrel in the mail today. I'll fit the barrel,link and NM bushing and see what happens.

Xracer
    (3/28/01 8:57:19 pm)
    Shooter.....did ya ever find out what was wrong with the other barrel?

shooter45 us
    (3/28/01 11:57:31 pm)
    X , not yet. The external areas look good but I'm still wondering about the crown. It just doesn't look right compared to another Colt Barrel. I don't think the guy wants to keep the barrel, so I may install it in another slide and see what happens.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/19/01 11:29:50 pm)
    I sent the barrel to Colt and got a replacement in the mail today. They stood behind their product , but offered no explaination as to why the other barrel was bad.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/20/01 6:58:10 am)
    Re: Barrel Problem
    shooter,

How long did it take them to get you the new barrel?

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (4/20/01 7:04:00 am)
    Tac, I mailed the barrel and a letter explaining the problem on 3/31. I got the new barrel on 4/19. Not bad considering the holiday.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/20/01 11:04:11 am)
    Re: Barrel Problem
    That's not bad shooter,

That's a lot better than I would have thought.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator