barrel question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hoser1, Jan 21, 2007.

1. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

A friend has a Charles Daly 1911 he just got at a gun show and a Kimber Target II. A factory Colt barrel or a Kimber barrel will not fit in his Charles Daly. A extended ported barrel (aftermarket) will fit. The only difference we can see is the underside is tapered. The problem is the slide won't close. It almost closes, maybe 1/8" .
    What's the deal? Is it the barrel link?
    All I've ever had are Colt Army (1940's) and never had these probs.
    His experience has been Springfields.
  2. oldgunfan

oldgunfan Member

You need to hand fit a barrel bushing to any 1911 style pistol. all 1911's and there clones have different barrel tapers.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Caution: It may not be an exact clone.

My Charles Daly High Power slide was so different in the slide lockup area that only machining the locking grooves on the top of the after market match barrel would allow it to fit the slide. Then the surface on the bottom of the barrel that sits on the frame when the slide completely closes was enough too short that the slide would override the barrel in recoil. I had to add metal by welding and machining it to the dimension the Charles Daly wanted.

I think Charles Daly feels no need to make any of their classic pistols like the Hi Power or the 1911 exact clones. That makes customizing their guns hard or impossible with classic aftermarket parts.

LDBennett
  4. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

Thank you, gentlemen.