Barrel swapping?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by joncutt87, Jul 16, 2012.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I now have three different h&r/nef shotguns, can I swap the barrels around? One stock set and three barrels would be much easier to carry to the range.
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have never done this. But I have heard both ways.

Yes you can with nothing other than changing the barrels. I have also seen that you have to have each new barrel fitted to the action so that excessive head space is not encountered.

Only 3 guns is too many to take to the range? I normally take my main centerfire, 4 rimfire rifles, 3 pistols, and my shotgun if I want to be sadistic and tenderize my shoulder.
  3. HossFly

HossFly New Member

No personal experience & i am sure not going to advise BUT factory insist RIFLE barrels must be fit to receivers. I ass/u/me shotgun also - Not much help :eek:
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

3 single shot shotguns, sks, model 99, arisaka, .30-06, 10/22, old wrf winchester, and ammo. Lugging all by myself.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Technically, you might be able to do this without a problem. Shotguns aren't subject to headspacing issues since the shells aren't necked.

But, you must make sure that each barrel fits the receiver properly. No sloppy fit between barrel and receiver or excessively tight either.

With all of that said...I WOULDN'T DO IT.

The reason that you want to isn't a good one. If two more receivers and buttstocks are too much to take to the range then just leave some guns at home.

They have this to say about shotgun barrels;
    All shotgun frames (SB-1) 1987 and newer and rifle frames (SB-2) produced between 1987 and 1999 or 1999 and newer may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only, if frame passes inspection.

IF you insist on going with this idea, please give NEF/H&R a call and find out for sure. But I'll bet that I know what they will tell you...send them to us for fitting the one receiver that you want to use.

6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

First the idea that only necked rifle cartridges can have headspace problems is simply not true. Nor is it true that rimmed cases can never have excessive headspace or that handguns and shotguns never have headspace problems, though many people believe both those myths.

That being said, the NEF shotguns are single barrel with a flat breech, so if the barrel is made properly and the lockup is solid, there should be minimal concern with headspace issues. My feeling would be that if there is a tight fit between the barrel and receiver for each barrel, there should be no problem. Now, if the discussion was on swapping shotgun and rifle barrels, I would advise against it, not only on headspace but also on the firing pin size and lockup.

Jim
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I agree.

I should have said;
    Shotguns aren't subject to the same type of headspacing issues as necked centerfire calibers since the shells aren't necked.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Before H&R went bankrupt and became NEF, they advised that barrels needed to be fitted. Also, I believe that I remember that they made their rifle receivers out of significantly stronger material than their shotguns.

I once saw a guy, with a late 1990's Beretta O/U 12ga., buy (contrary to my advice) three sets of barrels (20, 28, & .410) off of the Internet from three different sources. All three sets fit (to my amazement) for lock-up and headspace with no gunsmithing required. The auto-ejectors on two of the sets required fitting modification.

The foregoing example speaks to either very good luck (at about 1 in 8 total odds) or exceedingly tight tolerances and QC at Beretta today. As to the specific question posed in this thread; you do not want to put a rifle barrel on a shotgun receiver, even if it fits. Swapping between shotguns is something that should be determined by someone who definitely knows what to look for relative to fit up.
  9. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I also need to have the trigger looked at on the 12 gauge, so being able to swap would be nice.

The 12 is a nef with the poly survival stock, and the other two are topper 88's .410 and 20