Barrel Vise recommendations NEEDED

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by buckeylee, Jan 11, 2012.

1. buckeylee

buckeylee New Member

Just got thru paying $35 for a sporting goods / gun dealer to just loosen a gun barrel nut on a Savage 110. I have resolved to buy a gun vise ASAP. I really need some help in picking what to get. I have everything from 22 cal small barreled rifles to 50-65 cal muzzle loaders. All advice is appreciated.
    Buckey
  2. dustydog

dustydog New Member

I use a plain old Wilton 4" machinist vice.To do the job right,get two wooden blocks and whittle to the size and profile of what you are holding(say a S&W model 29 barrel with full underlug).Make the fit sort of rough,leaving too much wood for the pair of blocks to meet.Couple of loops of straping tape around the two blocks with the barrel between,into the vice,tighten up.No mus,no mars,holds good,and you also have a vice that works for a lot of other things.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Not all guns require a barrel vice. Most .22 rifles do not, most muzzle-loaders do not. Do you routinely remove and replace threaded barrels?
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are barrel fixing and BARREL fixing. Some are so tight that the barrel has to be machined off the receiver (I am told the Ruger MK series pistols are that way). Others, like the Savage, should be easy and not even need a barrel vise. If I am not mistaken the Savage has a locking nut that takes a special wrench to remove such that it does not get marred in the process. Once the locking nut is loosened the barrel should unscrew by hand (it says here??).

Some barrels take not only a way to hold the barrel in a vise but a wrench shaped the same internally as the receiver. Failure to use the receiver wrench correctly can bend or distort the receiver making it into a nice paper weight. Even with all the right tools you might have to add a "cheater" pipe to the wrench on the receiver to get enough leverage to loosen the barrel. One version of the receiver wrench relies on impact via a hammer to loosen the joint. Even then some require a bit of heat to help the process.

BARREL REMOVAL IS NOT EASY! I have done a couple and was successful but it is awful easy to screw up the receiver.

LDBennett
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

For a Savage this is what you need:
    One action wrench - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710783/wheeler-engineering-action-wrench-2-remington-700-savage-110
    One barrel nut wrench - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/710783/wheeler-engineering-action-wrench-2-remington-700-savage-110
    A set of headspace gauges in whatever caliber your rifle is - http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=1124
    Recommended homework, the AGI-series DVD for the Savage 110 family - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...age-arms-10-116-series-bolt-action-rifles-dvd

Remember that if you loosen/remove/replace the barrel that the headspace will change.
    That's why I've got the gauges on the tool list. They are a must have for any barrel swapping operation on a threaded barrel.

As others have cautioned, it seems like an easy process but there are several ways to mess things up to the point of costing you a lot more than that gunsmith charged you for a one-time job.

If you're going to be doing this regularly, such as you're building a multi-barrel rifle set, then you need the tools to do the job but also the knowledge to do it correctly.
    More information on what you're working on will help others fill in the blanks on any questions you might have.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres my setup..

Just a heavy mechanics vice on a homemade stand and a Action wrench.

No special purpose barrel vice necessary.. And you can clamp the oak blocks in the vice and do rem 700s.

Attached Files:

7. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Brownells sells both barrel vises and action wrenches. You'll need both plus a very sturdy bench to mount the vise. The vise has a standard size round hole in it and you'll need brass bushings machined to fit the hole in the vise and machined to fit around the barrel. You'll also need powdered rosin to sprinkle on the barrel to prevent it from slipping in the vise. I made my own out of 1 1/2 inch square bar stock, I made the action wrench from 1 by 3 inch flat plate and the bushings from 1 1/2 inch brass round stock. I used heavy duty 3/4 inch bolts to mount the vise and tighten in on the barrel.