Barry's pick for SCOTUS

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by bcj1755, May 26, 2009.

1. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well, here we go.

AP sources: Obama picks Sotomayor for high court
    AP

By BEN FELLER, Associated Press Writer Ben Feller, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 4 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama tapped federal appeals judge Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court on Tuesday, officials said, making her the first Hispanic in history picked to wear the robes of a justice.

If confirmed by the Senate, Sotomayor, 54, would succeed retiring Justice David Souter. Two officials described Obama's decision on condition of anonymity because no formal announcement had been made.

Administration officials say Sotomayor would bring more judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any justice confirmed in the past 70 years.

A formal announcement was expected at midmorning.

Obama had said publicly he wanted a justice who combined intellect and empathy — the ability to understand the troubles of everyday Americans.

Democrats hold a large majority in the Senate, and barring the unexpected, Sotomayor's confirmation should be assured.

If approved, she would join Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the second woman on the current court.

Sotomayor is a self-described "Newyorkrican" who grew up in a Bronx housing project after her parents moved to New York from Puerto Rico. She has dealt with diabetes since age 8 and lost her father at age 9, growing up under the care of her mother in humble surroundings. As a girl, inspired by the Perry Mason television show, she knew she wanted to be a judge.

A graduate of Princeton University and Yale Law School, a former prosecutor and private attorney, Sotomayor became a federal judge for the Southern District of New York in 1992.

As a judge, she has a bipartisan pedigree. She was first appointed by a Republican, President George H.W. Bush, then named an appeals judge by President Bill Clinton in 1997.

At her Senate confirmation hearing more than a decade ago, she said, "I don't believe we should bend the Constitution under any circumstance. It says what it says. We should do honor to it."

In one of her most memorable rulings as federal district judge, Sotomayor essentially salvaged baseball in 1995, ruling with players over owners in a labor strike that had led to the cancellation of the World Series.

As an appellate judge, she sided with the city of New Haven, Conn., in a discrimination case brought by white firefighters after the city threw out results of a promotion exam because two few minorities scored high enough. Ironically, that case is now before the Supreme Court.

Obama's nomination is the first by a Democratic president in 15 years.

His announcement also leaves the Senate four months — more than enough by traditional standards — to complete confirmation proceedings before the Court begins its next term in the fall.

Republicans have issued conflicting signals about their intentions. While some have threatened filibusters if they deemed Obama's pick too liberal, others have said that is unlikely.

Given Sotomayor's selection, any decision to filibuster would presumably carry political risks — Hispanics are the fastest-growing segment of the population and an increasingly important one politically.

Abortion rights have been a flashpoint in several recent Supreme Court confirmations, although Sotomayor has not authored any controversial rulings on the subject.

Sotomayor's elevation to the appeals court was delayed by Republicans, in part out of concerns she might someday be selected for the Supreme Court. She was ultimately confirmed for the appeals court in 1998 on a 68-28 vote, gathering some Republican support.

Among those voting against her was Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, now the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee that will hold sway over her confirmation.

Now, more than a decade later, Sotomayor possesses credentials Sessions said he wanted in a pick for the high court — years of experience on the bench. Obama had talked openly about the upside of choosing someone outside the judiciary — every single current justice is a former federal appeals court judge — but passed on at least two serious candidates who had never been judges.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_on_go_su_co/us_obama_supreme_court

Well, the "fair and impartial" media is painting her as somewhat moderate, so I'm betting she's a flaming liberal closet commie in disguise:rolleyes:

Although this part here, "At her Senate confirmation hearing more than a decade ago, she said, "I don't believe we should bend the Constitution under any circumstance. It says what it says. We should do honor to it."" does give me at least a little bit of hope.

I guess time will tell.
  2. obxned

obxned New Member

Since Barry Soweto wants her on the court, she must be in his pocket. Do you think she will recluse herself when the question of Barry's citizenship comes before them, or has she kissed the feet of the new messiah and promised to keep the county on Barry's shining path?
  3. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

According to MSNBC she is "bursting with gratitude" which to me speaks of being beholden to whoever she is grateful to.
    Hmm.
    In the pic she is gushing like a school girl all over the pseudoscotus.
    Yecchhh.
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That's why I said a little bit of hope.

Could be worse, it could a flagrantly open flaming liberal. Barry was even considering Janet Swineapolitano:rolleyes: Well, at least Souter was a liberal and is being replaced by a liberal. It's not like we had a conservative on SCOTUS replaced by a liberal.

People tell me I'm too negative. I'm trying to be a tiny bit positive for once, and you guys kill it for me:p:D:p
  5. alhefner

alhefner New Member

If she really upholds this, without "misinterpretation", then we may just have a good judge on our hands. If not, then we could have more problems.

What needs to be done is some research on her history in matters concerning the bill of rights and especially the second amendment.

A test case involving firearms could reveal much. If she has a literal interpretation of the second amendment and sides with firearms ownership, this could open the door toward negation of all laws that infringe on the "right of the people to keep and bear arms".

Barry may have opened a door he can't close here.
  6. Indian Creek 1

Indian Creek 1 Member

If Oscarmayer is confirmed does anyone think we'll be getting a weiner?
  7. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Latino Female+New Yorker+Supreme Court=attack on second ammendment
  8. alhefner

alhefner New Member

Well, I took a quick look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Sotomayor to see what was there.

According to that article she is pretty strict at Constitutional interpretation but has not issued any opinions or rulings concerning the Second Amendment yet.

I suggest we withhold judgment ourselves until we know more about her. The comment above
    is unfair in my opinion. It would be like saying race+richmond calif+no job=drug dealing gang member...though possible, it can't be applied to all who fit the description.
  9. islenos

islenos New Member

Wrong, the first Hispanic Justice was Benjamin Cardozo appointed by President Herbert Hoover in 1932. He was a Sephardic Jew which makes him Hispanic.

These so called journalist suck at fact checking.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

What?! You mean the "fair and impartial" media is not always right?!:rolleyes::D:p
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Good Point, Al. I agree that blanket demeaning a person based on home town is unfair. I am neither a gambler nor a member of the Mafia, although I was born in Las Vegas.

Pops
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

People can downplay and call this description demeaning, but in this case it probably fits the stereotype. Too close to call for me. I wouldn't want to bet anything I liked on it being wrong :eek: :D like for instance, my Second Amendment Rights! :D
  13. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
  14. kerk

kerk New Member

Regardless, she believes that courts should 'make' laws, along with interpreting existing laws. She goofed, and spoke it in public.

If she don't feel Judges are restricted by the constitution, what makes you think she believes the constitution defines 2A?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfC99LrrM2Q
  15. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

She is just another Anti-Constitutionalist appointed to the supreme court by the president of the Anti-Constitutional party.

For some reason I’m not surprised in the least bit.
    edit