Baseball?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kidder86, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Kidder86

Kidder86 New Member

Any Baseball fans out there? I'm in that particularly interesting part of the year where I have no sports teams to watch. The superbowl has little meaning to me now that the Broncos are no longer in the hunt.

I don't care for hockey or professional basketball, I watch the K State Wildcat baskeball team when when i can, however living in Colorado that is far and few between.

I find myself more and more excited for the start of another year of baseball every day.

I root for the Rockies and Rangers that way I can keep the rooting very simple until the event that they are facing each other in inter-league play or the world series.

What is everyone's favorite baseball memory?

Mine would have to be the wild card tie-breaker in 2007, I was three rows back behind the home team, that was the loudest environment I have ever been in.

mk
  2. Quisp

Quisp New Member

I was at game 6 of last years world series Cards/Rangers. I have been to many baseball games in my time and that was possibly the greatest game ever played, especially if you are a Cards fan.
    I also got to throw out the first pitch at a Twins/White Sox game 3 years ago. Those would be my two favorite memories.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of baseball (Chicago Cubs) and college basketball (Indiana Hoosiers). Those seasons overlap by just about a week on each end, so that works out that I always have one sport to follow.

IU has turned the corner this year. Beat Iowa solidly tonight, and we're going to make "the dance" this year. And we have a really good recruiting class coming in next year, too.
    My Cubbies look like we're a few years away from anything decent, but at least we have good people in the front offices now. Tribune Co. had no interest in spending enough to win, and Jim Hendry was just not a good GM.

Favorite baseball memory...
    That's tough. Probably June 15, 1998 at Wrigley Field. Kerry Wood pitched, and he was a rookie phenom that season. He had struck out 20 just a few weeks before.
    Sosa also hit 3 home runs that game (in that 1998 home run race), and the Cubs beat the Brewers 6-5.

Not a lot of good memories for Cubs fans ;), but that is one for me no doubt.
  4. gad1111

gad1111 Member

Indans fan,best memory was watching(on tv)them thump the Yankees in the first game in new Yankee stadium. Indians have a shot this year IF if they can stay healthy for a change

Greg
  5. Road America

Road America Member

My favorite baseball memory is of the Braves winning the World Series in 1957 - but then I'm old! They had some sort of program on early tv - home run derby - I remember a young skinny Hank Aaron hitting massive shots into the bleachers. I still have a signed baseball from 57 - a printed give-away one, not one that was really hand signed by them. I also have a scorecard-book from Saturday, Sept.7, 1957 Braves vs Cubs. Braves won 7-2. Spahn pitched a complete game.
    Maybe I should start watching some Brewers games this year, them darn Cardinals keep hurting us.
  6. august1410

august1410 New Member

In 1975, I saw Brooks Robinson play in an exhibition game against a Rochester minor league team.

In the 80's and 90's, I grew up watching Cal Ripken, Jr. play.

I married a Yankees fan. Followed them for a while.....now, I'm coming back to the home team.

[​IMG]
  7. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I haven't watched a game since the strike in 93 or 94. After I heard a guy state he couldn't support his family on several million a year and his kids would go without. I enjoy high school and college baseball as much as the pros, so screw them.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Guess it's just a case of what you enjoy .... I think of organized sports as being a lot
    like sex .... If I'm not involved I don't really care to watch !
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I kind of feel the same way toward sports. They don't come watch me work I won't watch them.
  10. red14

red14 Active Member

OOPS!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  11. red14

red14 Active Member

First practice tonight for my 10 and under youth team, does that count?;)

My best memory, so far, was at the State playoffs, last spring. My grandson (9) was up to bat, with runners on first
    and second, with two outs and two strikes. My son was coaching third, I was coaching first, and then he got a hit to
    drive in two runs. :cool:
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  12. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Lifelong Phillies fan however the "second" baseball strike soured my taste for the game. I could live with the first one but the second one was just greed at the expense of the fans. NASCAR is my primary spring/summer/fall sport.
  13. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Presently a REDS fan but growing up in Northern Ohio, I was fixated on the Tigers.

Best moment was the 1968 World Series Game 7 where Mickey Lolich (remember the "beer gut") outpitched Gibson to win the Championship. Just an awesome year for baseball.
  14. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

I am a huge baseball fan. I heard a quote once (forgive me I can't remember who said it) that went "if I had my choice of all sports except baseball or just baseball I'd choose baseball". That about sums it up for me. I would have to say my favorite memory was the first baseball game I attended. I was about 6 or 7 and it was at the old Yankee Stadium. The year had to be 1965 or 6. I was hooked at the site of the monuments in centerfield. Funny thing is I grew up hating the Yankees and routing for the Mets. I now live in the DFW area and the Rangers are my current interest.