BATF Harrassment of Local Gun Dealers.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Jun 8, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I feel sick. My favorite local gun shop has apparently gone out of business. I can't imagine this was for any financial reason, they seemed to do a good business. However I do know that a few years ago several area dealers were basically forced out of business due to BATF harrassment. I don't know all the details but apparently they go in and audit their records and somehow penalize them for some minor problem they claim to find. Next thing you know the BATF has either shut them down or the business has chosen to shut down because it's become too big a hassle.

Has the same thing has been happening where you all live?
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Depending on the situation, I could see why a gun shop would shut down. In order for them to stay competitive, they arent allowed to make any money. I know that sounds crazy but I know first hand. Unless you have alot of money before hand, dont start a gun shop. I have NEVER made more than 25.00 on a gun since I have been in business. Most of the time its 15.00. So unless you are selling volumes or have the money to branch out into accessories like optics, archery and other things, you cant make a living. I dont know what your local shops problem was but I can tell you if you have any overhead, you are going to struggle. Now that the economy is what it is, alot of people cant hang in there. I wanted to give you an example. I have a sig sauer 220 equinox that I posted in the buy sell forum. I have it listed on an auction site right now. That gun cost me 853.00 plus shipping which is another 30.00. I tried to sell it for dealer cost and it didnt sell. I have it priced at 799.00 to sell it. No takers. Thats just one example.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

One problem I've been told dealers have is that the BATF somehow restricts their inventory. Not sure how that works. I do know that my alternative local shop has a web site. Maybe only 25% of what they carry is in stock at any given time.
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

it happens more than you would care to know. 2 shops in the NO area were put out of business and 2 guys went to jail too. I know the guys and they would not have done anything wrong.

I also know a dealer in s tx that was forced to send his barretts back. This was at the same time the gunwalker bs was going around.
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

A gun shop opened less than a mile from a school I taught at. Our principal got it into his head that a gun shop less than a mile from his school would bring dangerous people to close to the school and pose a danger to the student body. His efforts on behalf of the community single-handedly contributed to the demise of the gun shop. We used to call the Principal, Dr. Alien.