batteries for hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by zkovach, Oct 13, 2010.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

When i am hunting in my blind i really enjoy listen to talk radio with some ear buds. I used to bring tons of batteries with me because the cold temps would drain them. Not sure if this is commom knowledge but i found out that lithium batteries can last in the cold weather. up to approx. -40 degrees. Just wanted to share in case anyone else brought 24 AA batteries with them to deer camp.
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I appreciate the info there zkovach! I too go thru batteries way to soon and will keep that in mind next time I'm buying them in the cold temps.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Down here in the south if you bring music to your deer stand, you wouldn't have anyone to hunt with. Listening to the sounds that deer make is one of the ways we hunt them. Ya can't hear anything going on in the woods with things in your ears!:D
  4. Zane71464

I heard that carver, I did, I did!:D We had a guy show up during gun season one year with a set-up as such, and lets just say, his "tunes" came up MIA real quick!:D I go tru so many AAA's on lights round here, that and AA's.;)
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

my hassle with batteries are the rechargable ones , for torch or camera for me though i do use a ipod type thing ( MP3 Player) when i stalk but that will use 1 AAA sized battery ( charged) for a full days playing but camera i get 4-5 shots and its dead , i've just got a new torch and that eats batteries but its so small but so strong , its nuts , 1 AA sized battery charged lasts a hour , i carry more batteries than balls .. true eh ;)
  6. Zane71464

I do know what you mean Jack!:D I went out and bought the full sized re-charger, take all sizes from D size down to AAA. I always "used" the 4 cell mag light and batteries and they wouldnt last for nothing. I made the switch to LED lights, and seems the re-chargable batteries last a bit longer.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here Zane, I switched to LED type lights. They last a lot longer. I found a light form Colman that is a 110 lumin light in a small package, and I love it. I can stand on the porch and spot my rifle target 150 yds away at night with it. Some of the newer lights even have a selector so you can choose a lower powered light.
  8. Zane71464

Hey carver, I bought the same one, 110 lumens and yes it shines out there!
    I was over at Wal-mart here a while back, and was looking and they had the Colman Max 137 lumens for $24.88 and it takes 6-'AA' batteries and it is actually brighter then my hand held 100,000 CP spot light. Ive had the same batteries in it from when I bought it and use it ALL the time. And surprisingly as it may be, the batts. are still good with it. I love it...carry it everywhere.:)
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i had to take two hunters to their camp one time because they had rechargeable batterys in their flash lights and they had gotten lost in the woods after dark.they looked like they were ran over by the time they came out at about midnight.i drove them to their cap site which was 12 miles away.i always have at least three flashlights with me since then.led is best. old semperfi
  10. Zane71464

Sounds like they got wayyy of the beaten track! I'm with you there old semperfi, Ive got flashlights everywhere, both vehicles and in the 4wheeler, and not to mention all about the house.:eek:
    EDIT: I'm not afraid of the dark, I just like to be able to see!
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i hunt basically on a 200 yrd hallway. its about 20 foot wide and the deer come out about 75-100 yards in front of me. Its not a big deal to use a radio there however i never use one when i bow hunt. The am radio also keeps me in the blind all day long. I find i hunt longer and it is more enjoyable.